Cordless phone apartment security system

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
dandynick5
Guru

Cordless phone apartment security system

Post by dandynick5 »

Seems like I'm always coming on here looking for answers. So not to be inconsistent, here I go again. My mother in law lives in an apartment with a front door security system. The usual, you call from the front door, the call goes through to her telephone. She pushes 9 on the phone and the front door unlocks. We've decided that she needs a cordless phone that she can have in her walker so that no matter where she is in the apartment, she can unlock the door and not have to go back to her ancient hard wired phone. Problem is that the cordless phone doesn't activate the security at the front door. Does anyone have any info to help us out? We'd like her to have a cordless phone. (Actually, I'd like her to go into assisted living but no go.)
This signature may be a forgery.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Cordless phone apartment security system

Post by Hmmm »

I lived in a place where the assigned a phone number for the door to go to. I had my cell ring. I could let people in and be anywhere in the world.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Weird.

Does your mom use a normal phone service, or VOIP?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Older door release intercom's are set to landline phones and most likely will not recognized cordless signal.

check your PM
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

Captain, she's on Bell. Gordon, thanks for the info!
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

As far as being cordless I assume you still mean a landline phone ie. rather than the corded phone plugged into the phone jack, you have the base station of a cordless phone plugged into the phone jack. A cordless phone works fine with an enterphone system - pressing 9 and having that signal go through the phone jack is identical whether it originated from a corded or cordless handset. If you're talking about a cell phone that's completely different and not supported by most systems.

Maybe just try a different phone - I've heard sometimes the really cheap ones (corded or not) have problems with enterphone systems but usually even cheapo phones work.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

Turns out the Vtech cheap phone wouldn't work, but a Panasonic cordless works just fine. Thanks to everyone for their advice!
mosound

Post by mosound »

i have this exact senario my cell opens the door by pressing 6 not 9.It is as well registered by the building and front door security,which is what you may have to do before it will activate the door open feature..!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Hmmm wrote:I lived in a place where the assigned a phone number for the door to go to. I had my cell ring. I could let people in and be anywhere in the world.

Pretty convenient when you've forgotten your key :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”