Come April it will be time to say farewell

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Otter
Board Meister

Re: Come April it will be time to say farewell

Post by Otter »

I liked XP but had to switch to 7 when many of the websites I use started to deny access - passwords wouldn't work, could not change them, etc.

I don't care for 7 as it's not as easy to use as XP and it changed several of my basic programs - Word especially - so it takes more time to do simple things. I chose 7 as I was told by more than one trusted person not to get 8 as it was even worse.

Also the screen settings are odd. Either the page is too large for the computer screen so that you lose part of the page or, when you adjust it using the VIEW function, the print is very small and difficult for these aging eyes to read.

Oh, well. I guess that's what is called progress, Right?
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Thinktank wrote:It's already time to say goodbye to Windows XP.

that means some of the programs I have can be thrown in the garbage - they won't work
on Windows 7.

Microsoft is one greedy company. No wonder people have no problem
not paying for program whenever possible. Oh - but that's stealing, says Microsoft.

Microsoft XP came out over a decade ago. Get over it! Man alive, you are coming off as extremely entitled.
What programs are you talking about anyways? I'd be surprised if you cannot run some version of them or another on the new OS.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Otter wrote:I liked XP but had to switch to 7 when many of the websites I use started to deny access - passwords wouldn't work, could not change them, etc.

Everything keeps evolving, nothing new there.

Otter wrote:I don't care for 7 as it's not as easy to use as XP and it changed several of my basic programs - Word especially - so it takes more time to do simple things. I chose 7 as I was told by more than one trusted person not to get 8 as it was even worse.

If you take the time to learn how to tweak it, Win7 is just as easy to use as XP, if not better in some ways. Not sure what you mean by "it changed your programs", the operating system doesn't change your programs, the people who created your programs and the latest versions of them, may well have done so.

Otter wrote:Also the screen settings are odd. Either the page is too large for the computer screen so that you lose part of the page or, when you adjust it using the VIEW function, the print is very small and difficult for these aging eyes to read.

You don't need to use the "view" function, press the "CTRL" key and then either "+" or "-" key depending on whether you wish to go bigger or smaller.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

PDT wrote:If Windows XP is working fine for you today, it work just as fine after April 8th. I'm not sure why some are getting so dramatic about it.

Exactly.. just unhook it from the internet and use it as a "stand-alone" computer like we did in yesteryear. Use the New computer for your internet usage.

Also some good news From Microsoft is that the Microsoft Securtiy essentials will be updating virus signatures until sometime next year. They wont be updating the program that is. But then again Microsoft already said the MSE has been compromised and to use something else. And again how much longer is the Antivirus programs going to support windows XP after April 8.

Another good news is that if you do get a virus or whatever after April 8 (which will happen) Microsoft said you can reinstall windows XP and do all the updates again all the way to April 8. They did not say when they are shutting down the activation and update servers.

But FINALLY XP is done...no more. Why use a 32 bit operating system that limits the ability to maximise your hardware and usage.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Symbonite wrote:Also some good news From Microsoft is that the Microsoft Securtiy essentials will be updating virus signatures until sometime next year. They wont be updating the program that is. But then again Microsoft already said the MSE has been compromised and to use something else.

Bitdefender Free is certainly worth considering at the present time.

Small footprint and rates at the top with the paid solutions.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Symbonite wrote:And again how much longer is the Antivirus programs going to support windows XP after April 8.

The estimated 30 per cent of the world's desktop computers currently running Microsoft's Windows XP operating system have been given a one-year extension on anti-malware support, despite plans to retire XP in three months.

While the virus warnings and updates will continue until July 14, 2015, all other support for the software — such as bug fixes, free assistance and software upgrades — remains on track to go silent on the targeted cutoff of April 8, 2014.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/windo ... -1.2500582
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Ummm...you can go to Windows 7 pro, and still run your XP programs. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7 The caveat is that windows XP mode should not be used for internet activity.

And if your computer is near death, you can order Windows 7 pro computers from Dell and others (even eBay). That is if you are a windows 8 hater like me. (I'm still running Vista, and surprisingly it is stable since I switched over to SSD instead of HD storage).

I'm not sure if the XP mode will still allow you to use old hardware that is not windows 7 compatible. But that's not such a big deal as things like printers are pretty cheap these days.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Lot's of people in here that have no clue what they are talking about with their misinformation and accusations.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”