Inexpensive Internet?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Inexpensive Internet?

Post by GoStumpy »

Does it exist? I am perfectly fine paying $45/month for mine because I play online games, enjoy speed, etc...

My older neighbor just got an older laptop and wants to be able to look up bike parts, maybe go on facebook/POF, etc... He thinks it's absurd to pay $40/month to use it maybe 15 minutes, and I can't really disagree.

Is there something out there like dialup these days?

Thoughts?
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Inexpensive internet?

Post by Bsuds »

Charge him $15 a month to use yours.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Yeah what Bsuds said. If the person is next door, and you have a router with wireless, all it would require is your password and a cheap inexpensive USB wireless adapter that you can grab on eBay for like $5.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Our homes are too far apart, I can barely get his PC to log into my wireless at all, and it's slow and not reliable.

Maybe there is some way to boost my wireless?

-edit-

Even his next-door neighbors only show 1 bar of wireless strength, I think the metal walls kill wireless pretty quick...
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Pressure your local MP to pass a bill/enact a way for Canada Post to provide cheap, reliable high speed access to the internet.

Canada Post was part of the social contract ratification that you got when you submitted to the government and agreed to pay them taxes. They provided you with a infrastructure to cheaply and effectively communicate within your own country. Business was not possible without a postal service before the internet was around. Home delivery is gone and prices have gone up.

You cant do anything now-a-days without using the internet. Job applications, government programs - and not every Canadian has internet access.

In the UK, Royal Mail is a ISP for cheap, awesome internet.

IMO internet access is at a point of being a "guaranteed right". The government doesn't buy you a car but it provides you with roads - and in today's age you are not going anywhere without a internet connection.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

GoStumpy wrote:Our homes are too far apart, I can barely get his PC to log into my wireless at all, and it's slow and not reliable.

-edit-

Even his next-door neighbors only show 1 bar of wireless strength, I think the metal walls kill wireless pretty quick...

I don't know your situation as to distances and such.

In my case I have a router with wireless, but I noticed when I was out tinkering in my shop, the signal was weak and sketchy, as the router was at the complete other end of the property.

I cured it by running 50' of CAT5 cable and added a second router with basically the same settings, so that I'm broadcasting a signal from two areas and get great coverage everywhere outside now. I used this guide.... http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Configuri ... aming.aspx

As I say though, I don't know your circumstances, or distances involved, so my method may be of no use to you.

On the other hand if you have a shed or something that's closer to the neighbour, with power accessible for the router, then that might be an option.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

GoStumpy wrote:Our homes are too far apart, I can barely get his PC to log into my wireless at all, and it's slow and not reliable.

-edit-

Not sure about the walls. Just checked and I have 16 connections showing near my place. 6 are listed as good, 5 as fair, 3 as poor, and 2 unsecured networks listed as fair.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If it's an older laptop it is probably using a "B" or "G" wireless.which has a shorter range.
Pick up an "N" adapter and he will probably get better reception.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

I find it funny when people take Europe as an example and how cheap everything is compared to Canada.

In Europe, they fit 60 million people in countries the size of Okanagan Lake. In Canada, we have as many people as California, but extending from one Ocean to another.

As such, it would be delusional to ask the government to provide cheap internet to each and every citizen in this country!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Yeah, let's get Canada Post involved in Internet business. Cause we want our emails arrive as slow as letters!

About original topic.

Dial up still exist. You can get it for $10-15/month, check http://www.netzero.net/, also http://www.juno.com/.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

GoStumpy wrote: He thinks it's absurd to pay $40/month to use it maybe 15 minutes, and I can't really disagree.

That's because he thinks the cost of delivering a service/utility is based solely off the degree of use. (No different than the power company charging a minimum for being connected and maintaining the service.)

Just a thought.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

He can also look into a mobile key starting at $10/mo.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:Yeah, let's get Canada Post involved in Internet business. Cause we want our emails arrive as slow as letters!

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-p ... dbroadband

42 bucks a month (top tier package), unlimited data, 25+mbps, phone line, free calling on evening and weekends.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Atomoa wrote:http://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/broadband?intcampaignid=MNbroadbandbroadband

42 bucks a month (top tier package), unlimited data, 25+mbps, phone line, free calling on evening and weekends.

But what does that have to do with Canada Post?
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

matai wrote:I find it funny when people take Europe as an example and how cheap everything is compared to Canada.

In Europe, they fit 60 million people in countries the size of Okanagan Lake. In Canada, we have as many people as California, but extending from one Ocean to another.

As such, it would be delusional to ask the government to provide cheap internet to each and every citizen in this country!

Yes but that has completely changed now that US internet providers will be taking over in Canada. It's no longer delusional and about to become reality. Prices will definitely be coming down, which is why our current suppliers are trying to stop it from happening.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”