Rare ‘tetrad’ of total lunar eclipses begins next week

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Rare ‘tetrad’ of total lunar eclipses begins next week

Post by oneh2obabe »

In the wee hours of the morning on April 15 the sun, Earth and moon will be in 'syzygy', lined up perfectly so that the full moon will pass through the centre of Earth's shadow, producing a total lunar eclipse that will be visible throughout North America and South America. The last time this part of the world saw a total lunar eclipse was back in December of 2011, but what's even more special about this one is that it marks the beginning of a 'tetrad' — four total lunar eclipses in a row, each separated by a period of roughly six months.

For anyone living in Canada or the continental United States, if you don't want to miss any of it, the eclipse starts at 12:55 a.m. ET and ends at 6:38 a.m. ET, on the morning of April 15 (no guarantees that the weather will cooperate, though). That's from the point where the moon enters Earth's penumbra — the defuse outer 'ring' of the planet's shadow — to the point where it leaves the penumbra. However, from the start up until just before 2 a.m., there won't be too much to see except a slight dimming of the moon's brightness. If you really want to see the good part, be sure to be watching starting at just before 2 a.m until after 5:30 a.m., since that's when the moon will pass through the Earth's umbra — the darkest part of its shadow — and it will reach the peak of the eclipse ('totality') around 3:47 a.m. Eastern Time.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekqui ... 39789.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Rare ‘tetrad’ of total lunar eclipses begins next week

Post by maryjane48 »

got my camera charged lol
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

We're also going to have Mars and Saturn in the same sky with the moon according to Stellarium.

http://www.stellarium.org/ and it's FREE!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Oh - how lucky are you in Kelowna ... wish I was there for this!

http://www.castanet.net/news/Central-Ok ... se-eclipse
Members of the Okanagan Centre of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC) will host a public lunar eclipse viewing on the parking lot of the Kelowna Curling Club beginning at 10 p.m.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Nice. I'm always up all night anyway. (I may even be sober for it, but I can't make any promises)
Your bias suits you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Jews have been watching this one for years now. The reason being that entire tetrad of blood moons occur on festival days. There are only 3 Festivals in the Jewish Calendar - The festival of matzahs (Passover), festival of Shavuot (reaping festival), and the festival of Sukkot (harvest festival).

The next 4 total eclipses fall on Passover and Sukkot & Passover and Sukkot. In the past 500 years this has only happened two other times. The first was in 1949/50 immediately after the national of Israel was established, and the last time was in 1967/68 just after the 6 days war in which Israel re-captured Jerusalem. What this Tetrad means is anyone's guess.

Then I saw the lamb open the sixth seal. There was a powerful earthquake. The sun turned as black as sackcloth made of hair, and the full moon turned as red as blood. ~ Revelation 6:12
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Just checked the moon and the sky. Clear as a bell, but then I just check the satellite map, and it looks like the clouds will be here within an hours. NOOOOOooooo...
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

It's cloudy. :(
Your bias suits you.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Glacier wrote:The Jews have been watching this one for years now. The reason being that entire tetrad of blood moons occur on festival days. There are only 3 Festivals in the Jewish Calendar - The festival of matzahs (Passover), festival of Shavuot (reaping festival), and the festival of Sukkot (harvest festival).

The next 4 total eclipses fall on Passover and Sukkot & Passover and Sukkot. In the past 500 years this has only happened two other times. The first was in 1949/50 immediately after the national of Israel was established, and the last time was in 1967/68 just after the 6 days war in which Israel re-captured Jerusalem. What this Tetrad means is anyone's guess.

Then I saw the lamb open the sixth seal. There was a powerful earthquake. The sun turned as black as sackcloth made of hair, and the full moon turned as red as blood. ~ Revelation 6:12

Hmmm - guess we'll watch and see.

Instant replay for those of us with cloud cover (isn't this always the case when we want to stargaze???) http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/84016433/
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”