Who do you hire to help with electronics?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Who do you hire to help with electronics?

Post by Bsuds »

You will learn more by reading the manual and doing it yourself. Having said that there are those who just can't figure it out and need some help.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Thank you. Everyone has some really good advice. I think everyone is right in one regard.
I guess it really does boil down to finding the right person to look after you and create a business relationship with them.

I want to enjoy everything technology has to offer, but not spend too much time frustrated when things don't work. I also don't have the tools or the knowledge to run any cabling.

It seems an electrician that is educated in computers and A/V equipment is the best all around guy for the job?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

forum wrote:It seems an electrician that is educated in computers and A/V equipment is the best all around guy for the job?

While he probably can run the cabling just fine I doubt he would have the knowledge or expertise to do all of the rest of the things you listed.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

An electrician who specializes in "smart homes" would be a good bet. I've had really good experiences with Can-nor (http://www.can-nor.ca/index.php), specifically Thomas and Christian.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Gilchy wrote:An electrician who specializes in "smart homes" would be a good bet. I've had really good experiences with Can-nor (http://www.can-nor.ca/index.php), specifically Thomas and Christian.

Hence my suggestion to use Beyond Audio, as they have won awards for doing just that.

It's not easy finding someone who is good with everything across the board.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Any real man should be able to set up his computer, hang a tv on a wall or run wires. If you don't have time, merely ask a good friend that you know is a man. Men are also naturally strong with directions, it's like we have a GPS system build into our heads.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

forum wrote:It seems an electrician that is educated in computers and A/V equipment is the best all around guy for the job?

Bsuds wrote:While he probably can run the cabling just fine I doubt he would have the knowledge or expertise to do all of the rest of the things you listed.

That's very true.

Home electronics at this point in time covers quite a large area, and most of the time many of those areas are broken down into individual specialties.

For example a person may wire a house for gadgets, but not be the one who does the connecting and setup.

Some automated products get installed by the company that sold them, but may not take on the interfacing to the home computerization as that's someone else's department.

I've seen many instances where electricians will run power to a designated area, yet not do the connection to the product.

There are homes now where a room can have a touch panel which controls, heat, air conditioning, blinds, the TV, lighting, and so on, yet the person who installed the TV knows nothing pertaining to HVAC, the blinds, or lighting.

This is where it becomes advantageous to use a company that is familiar with all of the above.

The original request I might add is also a bit vague in that, "running wire" for example in a new structure with walls still open, is a completely different beast than attempting to do it in a finished home where it's more of a retrofit accompanied by a whole different strategy and set of challenges.

A techie accustomed to doing things on the side, might well get in too deep in a hurry.

Given the things listed in the request, I still feel a business specializing in complete home automation would be the best route to take. You'll get the expertise, but it will also cost you.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Agreed, i think one of the biggest bridges happening in technology today is between IT & A/V.

You wont find one pub/restaurant or newer high end home that hasn't been designed with a decent budget that wont have its A/V incorporated in with its LAN setup/design.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
mosound

Post by mosound »

This is a reasonable very knowlegable guy our family and some of my friends use quite a bit,i think he owned some high end audio/video/electronics shops,his phone is 250-862-1100.....email is [email protected] he just works out of his home has always been fair with us.I called him before i gave his info out..!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”