I need a computer- advice please

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Re: I need a computer- advice please

Post by bazinga42 »

"Sensitive"? You read too much into things. I'm not unsubscribing because you hurt my feelings. Its because I don't have the time to spend.

I'm only posting now because this forum, apparently, doesn't respect an unchecked "Notify me when a reply is posted"... so now I have to figure out how not to get these emails (sigh)

[edit] Nevermind... figured it out. The notification I got was from your previous post - after I began my previous post but before unsubscribing. Anyway, now I'm out for reals :) cheers.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I would seriously check with Mark at Wytek Direct.

I just took a quick gander at his website and there are two computer specials listed, one of them, a dual core, being just $339 with a one year warranty, but you have to add on the cost of an operating system.

Win7 Pro can be obtained via download with a product activation key for a few cents below $80 if you use Google.

There's also one with a bit more umph, a quad core, for $409, plus operating system again.

Look here..... http://www.wytekdirect.com/computer-specials.htm

*Note these are the computer only, assuming here that you have keyboard, mouse, and all that since you have a monitor.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

National Computer Resource in Orchard Plaza has computers starting at $400 and they include Windows 7 Home Premium and 1 year warranty. You can't beat that price anywhere. Check them out http://www.ncro.ca/products/tower-pc/

Definitely stick with the AMD apu processors, there is no match on the market right now for graphics power in a cpu.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Win 8 is only necessary if a person has gone to a touch screen.

This is a fallacy. Stop spreading misinformation about a very capable and robust OS that is perfectly functional.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Win 8 is only necessary if a person has gone to a touch screen.

Loed wrote:
This is a fallacy. Stop spreading misinformation about a very capable and robust OS that is perfectly functional.

Misinformation???? Misread on your part perhaps, but that's about the extent of it.

I'm at a loss to understand why you act as though I'm trashing Win8, when all I'm doing is looking at it from the perspective of "this" OP's request, and his particular needs? This isn't an operating system ratings thread.

There's nothing wrong with Win8 I've used it, but if you took the time to go over the original request, the OP is looking for inexpensive. "Inexpensive" being the primary point.

I have Win7 on one computer, Win8 on another, and for the average every day things this person wishes to do, not to mention his owning older peripherals, there's zero good reason for him to look at Win8, when he can get a brand new copy of Win7, for around half the price.

Even Microsoft admitted the general purpose behind Win8, was to have a sort of one size fits all operating system, that can be used on tablets, laptops, and desktops, the most significant difference being, the former are geared toward touch input.

No fallacy involved it's fact!

If he had a touch screen monitor Win8 would be a necessity, or he might as well have purchased an ordinary monitor, in this case he doesn't, it's an older monitor, and Win7 along with the inherent savings, is more than sufficient.

Why on earth would one go and spend more for Win8 and features their hardware can't make use of?

You of all people should know that one of the foremost issues accompanying new operating systems, is compatibility with older hardware.

My position stands in the context of this OP's request.

Windows 8.1 includes better support for mobile device management, tap-to-print support via NFC, as well as enhanced biometrics, malware resistance and encryption.

However, IT departments across the world have given Windows 8.1 the cold shoulder in favour of its older brother. HP told IT Pro that Windows 7 is the most popular enterprise choice for companies upgrading from XP.

“[Businesses] are ignoring Windows 8,” said HP project manager Jeff Wood.

Enterprises want stability, Windows 7 has the advantage of time, familiarity, extensive testing, and total peripheral compatibility.

Upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 hasn't been a plain sailing either with users complaining that the update broke simple things like the ability to print.

Winner - Draw - Although Windows 8 has more enterprise features as default, Windows 7 is tried and tested. Forthcoming Service Packs are unlikely to give IT admins as many headaches as Windows 8.x updates.

Read more: http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-software ... z31wQ7q8e5
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Loed wrote:This is a fallacy. Stop spreading misinformation about a very capable and robust OS that is perfectly functional.

Did you just call Windows 8 'perfectly functional' ??? LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Totally fallacy and complete misinformation.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

not that this is on topic at all, but in response to the previous poster...

i use windows 8, it works perfectly. so you might want to prove your claim that windows 8 is a "falacy" and "complete misinformation"
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Logitack wrote:not that this is on topic at all, but in response to the previous poster...

i use windows 8, it works perfectly. so you might want to prove your claim that windows 8 is a "falacy" and "complete misinformation"

Obviously you're not understanding something that's very simple to understand. There is no such thing as a 'perfectly' functional operating system. Every OS has it's flaws, usually many when they first come out which make them very hard for people to adapt to. There's is nothing here to prove, it's simple fact. There is no such thing as a perfect OS. A small child can understand the concept...so I don't see why you can't.

Windows 8 has had many serious flaws since it's inception. Some have been dealt with and some haven't. For some people, Windows 8 is not acceptable. It's just a fact and a personal preference depending on what you use your computer for.

For the mainstream user, Windows 7 is widely regarded as the next Windows XP. It will be here for many years to come, unlike Vista and other OS's that have failed miserably.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Instead of typing for the next hour, I'll just post a link to an article about Windows 8. It's quite informative and gives an insight into the massive flaws in the OS. This was written late last year but it's still applicable since 8.1 was already out and there has not been an upgrade to it since. http://www.Castanet.com/news/windows-8-1-new-features-but-same-problems/
napaq

Post by napaq »

napaq

Post by napaq »

operating systems...................
https://www.google.com/search?q=which+o ... &sa=Search
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

WhatThe wrote:I bought a dell laptop years ago for about $700 and dont want to spend that much but if new towers can be $300 ill have a look. Truth is I'd rather have new but thought they might be too expensive. I haven't kept up with comps for so long I'm way outa the loop, hence this thread.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Is there some reason it has to be a tower? Future Shop has refurbished 15.6" laptops for as little as 300. If you like, you can connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse...and voilà.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:There's nothing wrong with Win8 I've used it, but if you took the time to go over the original request, the OP is looking for inexpensive. "Inexpensive" being the primary point.

I have Win7 on one computer, Win8 on another, and for the average every day things this person wishes to do, not to mention his owning older peripherals, there's zero good reason for him to look at Win8, when he can get a brand new copy of Win7, for around half the price.

Even Microsoft admitted the general purpose behind Win8, was to have a sort of one size fits all operating system, that can be used on tablets, laptops, and desktops, the most significant difference being, the former are geared toward touch input.

No fallacy involved it's fact!

If he had a touch screen monitor Win8 would be a necessity, or he might as well have purchased an ordinary monitor, in this case he doesn't, it's an older monitor, and Win7 along with the inherent savings, is more than sufficient.

Why on earth would one go and spend more for Win8 and features their hardware can't make use of?

You of all people should know that one of the foremost issues accompanying new operating systems, is compatibility with older hardware.

My position stands in the context of this OP's request.

1. Windows 8 costs less on average than 7, when looking at brand new from the store(search amazon/ncix you'll see).
2. Windows 8 does not require a touch screen to make full use of it.
3. Compatibility with older hardware is better/if not on par than Windows 7.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Danielson99 wrote:Instead of typing for the next hour, I'll just post a link to an article about Windows 8. It's quite informative and gives an insight into the massive flaws in the OS. This was written late last year but it's still applicable since 8.1 was already out and there has not been an upgrade to it since. http://www.Castanet.com/news/windows-8-1-new-features-but-same-problems/

This is not an article detailing what you are speaking of. It's just Castanet mouthing about without understand the words they are using. In the business sector W8 is a misstep, basic consumer usage it's just as good as W7.

There are no "massive flaws" in the OS. The OS is rock solid. The UI is a little wonky from the gate.

The best idea is to follow microsofts little tutorial they give you, and then install a third part start menu.

Cheaper than W7, more stable, more future support.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

The thing about Windows 8 is it makes os x look so superior. My next laptop will be a Macbook Pro with retina.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”