I need a computer- advice please

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: I need a computer- advice please

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Loed wrote:1. Windows 8 costs less on average than 7, when looking at brand new from the store(search amazon/ncix you'll see).

Microsoft Win 8.1 Pro 64Bit $149.99 at NCIX

NCIX is selling Win7 Pro 64Bit for the same price, however I can obtain a legitimate copy with key for $74.89 from IT Direct.

Best I can find Win8.1 Pro 64Bit for is $115.89 at the same place.

I haven't seen Win8 cheaper than Win7 anywhere, and we weren't talking about ready made factory new computers in this thread.

New and used computer has been bandied about, and with that simply came certain tips, such as my mentioning that if it's a used computer old enough to still have Win XP on it, then an operating system becomes part of the equation.

My earlier suggestion to go Win7 was purely based on price, and the knowledge that the OP has ancient hardware by modern computer standards.

Since I'd just been shopping around for a copy of Win8 Pro a couple of weeks ago, it was fresh in my mind that I could obtain Win7 Pro for around half the price of NCIX's $149.99. Since I looked earlier I now see IT Direct has Win8 reduced also, but it's still around 30 bucks more than Win7, to an OP who is looking at lowest possible price.

*As a side note, having run Win 8.1 Pro for three months evaluation, though I had no major issues with it, by the same token it isn't as perfect as you appear to feel either.

I know I encountered a major problem attempting to get the Win 8 Pro computer to join my existing home network Homegroup.

In the end the only way it would work was by deleting all the other computers from the Homegroup, then recreating the Homegroup on the Win 8 Pro computer and having the others join it. I'd be willing to bet some people have pulled their hair out trying to deal with that issue.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Windows 8 is basically an abortion that Microsoft is forced to try and sell until they come up with a seperate system for both tablet and desktop users. Windows 8 is by far the biggest failure from MS in many years. Definitely the next Vista that is guaranteed to be phased out.

If you're looking for long-term support and compatibility I would definitely stick to Windows 7, it's going to be around for a LONG time.

So OP, have you checked out the deals at NCR or Wytek yet? Have you bought anything?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Loed wrote:BTW, I can get legit licenses of Windows 8 for $40 a pop from some suppliers. OS cost is not an issue as the two can both be obtained for close to, if not the same prices. That was my point. Cost is moot.

As have I, I believe made my point.

Not sure why you opted for PM when you're blocking incoming messages, so I have little choice but to respond here.

I'm not stupid and am well aware that insiders with connections get far better deals on things, the problem is normal everyday folk don't have those connections, so cost is hardly moot.

You can get Windows 8 Pro 64Bit for $40?

Awesome, put me down for two copies please! Be happy to pay $100 for two so you can make a profit. 8-P

I've never come across a full legitimate version for anywhere remotely close to that.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”