Nikon Vs. Canon

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Nikon Vs. Canon

Post by kgcayenne »

The sound I'm talking about is focus motor and shutter noise. The T3i and its kit lens is quite loud compared to the Nikon (3100 in this case) and its kit lens. We were taken by surprise, although there's no way she can ever sneak a photo of us with her T3i... unless the dishwasher, fridge, AC, and microwave are going at the same time.

The Canon has a great button layout and nice feel for larger hands.

I would like to know if these same observations exist through the range of models for these manufacturers.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Glacier wrote:I can't believe how long the battery lasts on the canon. I never turn my camera off, and I go a month or two between charges.

Try taking some pictures.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Most cameras will have a setting to turn off when not in use for a set period of time.

No matter how long the battery lasts it will always die at the most inopportune time. That's why I carry a spare that is charged.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Me too, Bsuds. Some of the kits even come with two batteries. The T3i did, I ordered a spare for the Nikon off Amazon for $60.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

To be honest, I do use my phone camera more than anything, but this is more for a hobby and travels ... something, although a bit bulky, a bit more capable to get some very stunning shots of upcoming trips.

Captain Awesome wrote:It doesn't really matter which one you choose - just remember that once you make a choice, you can't go back as lenses are not interchangeable. Since lenses cost the most money, not the camera bodies, you're kinda stuck with this particular brand unless you want to spend another $10K on lenses all over again.

That's really the thing, once you're set up with glass you had better be happy with the body LOL! I'm not looking to spend a crap load of money on a suitcase of lenses, maybe just a small arsenal of decent glass. Price wise, they're about the same?
Captain Awesome wrote:The only people who endlessly argue about Nikon vs. Canon are photo nerds and nobody cares about them. They'll scrutinized 3200 ISO pictures looking for a slight variation in specks, and proclaim that Nikon/Canon is better - but any pro-user knows there's no real difference between them.

I think for me, its really the ergonomics and the ease of use I'm looking for, which of course, is best to try them out. Do you have a preference?
kgcayenne wrote:I have also installed a split prism focus screen---OMG the best decision everrrrrr.

Could you expand on that a bit?
1nick wrote:I shoot with a I-pad and still manage to get bacon grease on that little lens.It does give the pics a certain atmosphere.

Its always quite a sight when you're at Disneyland and everyone has their iPads out filming the World of Color show LOL!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

kgcayenne wrote:I make lenses the priority. One is more likely to change bodies than they are lenses, so your camera should be one that has a well established history of consistent mounts. Nikon stands out the most here; I use lenses dating back to the 60s on my little D3100, it is fun to hone theory skills when you have no metering or autofocus. It's just you & the camera. If you get yourself PS Lightroom, you can correct and enhance anyway.

Another point for Nikon: if you are not aiming for a full frame camera, Nikon has a larger DX sensor at 1.5 as opposed to Canon's 1.6.

All very good points.
Queen K wrote:I know you've had them and are considering better quality but since you asked, we have the Canon Rebels, mine three years old and his is newer. For us the DSLR is the way to go if you're just looking for gorgeous shots for the internet viewing, sharing on Flickr, Facebook, here, etc.

How do you find them for ease of use with functions? I.E.: buttons, etc?
Queen K wrote:Rebels are light weight for hikes etc. The only problem is the lenses, to up grade kit lenses you'll need to invest or watch for good deals on the 'net.

While I completely get the light(er)weight argument, that could also be a con ... bigger hands, etc. and the size of lenses. When the first smaller Rebels came out, I was looking at one and put on a 300mm lens, very akward and unbalanced. What kind of lenses are you using and do you notice and weight/balance problems?

But, I absolutely agree with kit lenses, personally, I'd rather buy a body only (even the rebel) and use the extra few dollars towards a good lens.
Queen K wrote:And by club, I mean COPS, Central Okanagan Photography Club and there's a group of people in Penticton putting out amazing work. Sorry I can't do better than this as I'm off to work.

Will have too take a peak to see if they have a webpage, thanks :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

kgcayenne wrote:One more thing: The Nikon is much quieter, my daughter's Canon is very distracting.

LOL, you want noisy? Was doing a trip across Europe about 10 years ago, anyways, I had forgotten my battery and charger for my camera so instead of spending the money for a new one, I just borrowed an old Canon from a friend of mine, which happened to be a film camera. Anyway, for those of you who have ever spent time flying around in a Citation, the cabins are fairly quiet. So not thinking about it, I dropped a film in and loaded it and started to spool it ... next thing you know, all the heads turned around like "what the heck" is that? LOL!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Years ago I borrowed a co-workers Canon to take a time lapse movie. It was great. I don't remember what it was but it was like a DSLR but with a non-removable lens. A Bridge camera? Similar but way better than my old Panasonic FZ7. It has only 6M pixels but I love the viewfinder as there are times that using the screen is difficult. The 12x optical is nice and I would never go less.
Are there ones like that still on the market? I don't want a DLSR as I'm not quite that serious and not that rich. I had heard that the new Canon's no longer do time lapse but have heard through a friend that there are software apps that work with some new cameras that take care of the time lapse. Any suggestions?
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Dizzy1 wrote:Price wise, they're about the same?

About the same. Both Nikon and Canon have different models aimed at different customer bases. Some are for amateurs, some are professional, some are semi-pro. Kinda like BMW has series 3, 5, or 7 being the most expensive and the beefiest. If you look at Canon and Nikon cameras from the same class, they're about the same. Canon might be a tad more expensive.
I think for me, its really the ergonomics and the ease of use I'm looking for, which of course, is best to try them out. Do you have a preference?

They're pretty close, but Canon feels better in my hands. I can change most options without taking my eyes off the viewfinder just with my thumb or one of the fingers - which comes handy when you shoot pictures by hundreds. There's a couple of things on Nikon that raised my eyebrows in "Why would they put it there? Makes no sense!" fashion, but it might be because I'm so used to Canon.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

I am a Nikon man, through and through. While I have owned other cameras (Olympus, Panasonic Lumix, Minolta 35mm, Lecia 35mm, Afga 35mm & 110mm, etc.), I have always kept the closest part of my heart for Nikon. I’m not even really sure why -- but I believe that *one* of the reasons is how it looks and feels in my hands. I have always found Canons to be too… consumerish… in my hands. Too many rounded corners, too many soft edges. The Nikons, on the other hand, have tended to have the rough brutality of a work camera - meant for the roughest and toughest of field assignments - which has always made a big impression on me.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

Okay, now that just set me off… for some reason I want to dig out my old Afgamatic and stuff it with some 110mm colour cartridges and head out into the sunshine to take some photos. I never did take good photos with that little camera, but boy does it bring back memories.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Regarding split prism focus screens:
http://petapixel.com/2013/01/02/a-demo- ... -old-slrs/

I chose to get one because I use old glass, it would cost megabucks to update, that's why I am still in DX land and not shooting full frame. The lenses I have need to have parts of them filed off (eeeek) to mount up to a D7000 series, or all but one of the FX cameras: The Nikon Df, but you can't get a split focus screen for it---Boooooo Nikon. I'm not a pro, just a hobby girl.

You can pick up vintage glass a hellofalot cheaper if you are keen on manual focus. I don't like the auto focus system trying to think for me; by the time I diddle with telling it which point to use, the shot is gone. So vintage, manual glass doesn't talk to the *bleep* system. That's where the split prism comes in: direct hand-eye, got it, snap it.

The challenge of no metering with old, old lenses is fun too.

Canon's lenses are not compatible through the vintages. They like to change things up.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

rekabis wrote:Okay, now that just set me off… for some reason I want to dig out my old Afgamatic and stuff it with some 110mm colour cartridges and head out into the sunshine to take some photos. I never did take good photos with that little camera, but boy does it bring back memories.

How's it going with that? ;)
kgcayenne wrote:Regarding split prism focus screens:
http://petapixel.com/2013/01/02/a-demo- ... -old-slrs/

I chose to get one because I use old glass, it would cost megabucks to update, that's why I am still in DX land and not shooting full frame. The lenses I have need to have parts of them filed off (eeeek) to mount up to a D7000 series, or all but one of the FX cameras: The Nikon Df, but you can't get a split focus screen for it---Boooooo Nikon. I'm not a pro, just a hobby girl.

You can pick up vintage glass a hellofalot cheaper if you are keen on manual focus. I don't like the auto focus system trying to think for me; by the time I diddle with telling it which point to use, the shot is gone. So vintage, manual glass doesn't talk to the *bleep* system. That's where the split prism comes in: direct hand-eye, got it, snap it.

The challenge of no metering with old, old lenses is fun too.

Canon's lenses are not compatible through the vintages. They like to change things up.

Thanks for the link and tips on older glass :)

I might have to consider this one as well ...

http://www.dpreview.com/products/fujifi ... jifilm_xt1

... I love Fuji's retro design (having the X10 as I mentioned earlier), I prefer dedicated dials for certain functions such as f-speeds and ISO, etc. Only thing is that it doesn't have a very beefy grip but I do believe its work a look see :)
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I like Ken Rockwell's reviews, he's a fan of that Fuji.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-t1.htm

Edited to add:
About the Nikon Lenses:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compat ... s.htm#dslr

Nikon D5200 - $679
Fuji X-T1 - $1,299

Bear in mind for the cost of the Fuji, you can get a D5200 plus some vintage lenses and a split focus screen ($200 after duty and shipping).

One more thing, if Nikon puts their big girl panties on and the next generation of the Df has a split prism focus screen... We just might be convinced enough to splurge for it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thanks for the link KG and for the comments on the cost factor between the 5200 and XT1 ... very appreciated. But ya gotta admit, the Fuji looks so pretty LOL ;)

IIRC, London Drugs is really the only place that sells Fuji around here ... might have to take a peek at one in the coming days to see how it feels and looks.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”