Nikon Vs. Canon

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Nikon Vs. Canon

Post by kgcayenne »

It was directed at you. :-) I went back and read your original post noticing you had owned, or at least used, the following cameras:
Fuji X10
2 Canon Digital Rebels
Olympus E510

Do you own the four cameras above? Please don’t take this the wrong way, but if you do still own the cameras: Are you looking to add to the collection because you love having a broad range of camera equipment? If so, then I’d stick with a lower-end DSLR if you are going to spend more in a couple of years anyway because you like the newness of technology as you continue adding to the collection. If you keep switching cameras because you are not happy with the photographic results, (and again, please don’t take this the wrong way), definitely buy Jared Polin’s DVDs and develop your overall photographic skills. To quote Jarvis Chase’s book title: “The Best Camera Is The One That's With You.”

If you are really wanting to experiment and develop some interesting skills, with a lower end camera like the 3x00, 5x00 series, you can get and use any of the vintage lenses on the cheap. You will be shooting in 100% manual without metering at all, so you must understand things like the Sunny 16 rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule). If you are careful with your selections, you can even get lenses that do work with the D7x00 series and FX cameras. (stay away from pre-AI unless you are courting the idea of a Df) That way, when you decide to really REALLY upgrade and go to an FX camera, you will be lightning quick at getting out of Auto.

If you aim to go farther with your work watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1oZhEIrer4
I’ve quit and started a few times, not selling work… yet.

One more thing: A 7100 body is $950 at Future Shop; a 750 is $2449 at Henry's, the 610 is $1899.
You can spend +-$1000 now,
and then another +-$2000 later
for a total of +-$3000
PLU$ GLA$$

or

You can spend +-$2000 now,
and later have +-$1000 to invest in glass.

There are a number of nearly new DX lenses in the classifieds from people who went FX after only a short period of time.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
neroas
Fledgling

Post by neroas »

On night shots, I will say this. You must have realistic expectations. You can achieve some very nice shots FX or DX at low light/night, and while the ISO can be cranked up it's still a bit touchy and depends on lighting conditions and what you are shooting. While FX does better in low light, there are some realities that apply to both and there are compromises to be made in shooting low light.

If you get into night shots no matter what the camera, you will probably want a good tripod.

This is hand held, just an example. Was playing around with settings/lens down sized for posting.

nightdt.jpg

I agree the camera that you have with you is a good camera. While FX is nice, it is a bigger camera to lug around. I shoot in manual a lot, so those extra controls, I value a lot. The lenses will be the biggest investment and will go from body to body.

You also said easy access is important earlier and that's why I'm saying D7x00.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

That's a nice shot of our DT. Can you share the EXIF data? I'm working on getting out to do some night shots.
neroas
Fledgling

Post by neroas »

Thanks and sure :)

Device: Nikon D7100
Lens: 50mm f/1.8D
Focal Length: 50mm
Focus Mode: Manual
AF-Area Mode: Single
VR:
*bleep* Fine Tune: OFF
Exposure
Aperture: f/3.5
Shutter Speed: 1/50s
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 3200
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

kgcayenne wrote:It was directed at you. :-) I went back and read your original post noticing you had owned, or at least used, the following cameras:
Fuji X10
2 Canon Digital Rebels
Olympus E510

Do you own the four cameras above? Please don’t take this the wrong way, but if you do still own the cameras: Are you looking to add to the collection because you love having a broad range of camera equipment?

No, the only one I still have is the Fuji. The Rebel I gave to a family member when I bought the XT. The XT was a terrible camera (IMO) so I traded that one in for the E510 which I sold because I kept getting very blurry pictures in auto focus.
kgcayenne wrote:If so, then I’d stick with a lower-end DSLR if you are going to spend more in a couple of years anyway because you like the newness of technology as you continue adding to the collection. If you keep switching cameras because you are not happy with the photographic results, (and again, please don’t take this the wrong way), definitely buy Jared Polin’s DVDs and develop your overall photographic skills. To quote Jarvis Chase’s book title: “The Best Camera Is The One That's With You.”

This is the thing, I do know the basics of a camera, so if I ended up with a camera with more manual features, I wouldn't be lost ... I do need to work on my skills though so if more features would be a benefit, I'm not sure ... but I would think it would. Hmmmm LOL!
kgcayenne wrote:If you are really wanting to experiment and develop some interesting skills, with a lower end camera like the 3x00, 5x00 series, you can get and use any of the vintage lenses on the cheap. You will be shooting in 100% manual without metering at all, so you must understand things like the Sunny 16 rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule). If you are careful with your selections, you can even get lenses that do work with the D7x00 series and FX cameras. (stay away from pre-AI unless you are courting the idea of a Df) That way, when you decide to really REALLY upgrade and go to an FX camera, you will be lightning quick at getting out of Auto.

Everyone pretty much starts out with the basics, and as Jared shows, even with a basic D3000 series, you can get amazing results but only having 11 *bleep* points is kind of the downer on the D3200/3300 ... which is still a hell of a lot better with the 3 on the E510 LOL! But the price is really what makes me think.
kgcayenne wrote:If you aim to go farther with your work watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1oZhEIrer4
I’ve quit and started a few times, not selling work… yet.

Will definitely watch that ... thank you :)
kgcayenne wrote:One more thing: A 7100 body is $950 at Future Shop; a 750 is $2449 at Henry's, the 610 is $1899.
You can spend +-$1000 now,
and then another +-$2000 later
for a total of +-$3000
PLU$ GLA$$

or

You can spend +-$2000 now,
and later have +-$1000 to invest in glass.

And that's the thing ... when I look at the numbers, it just seems to make more sense to get a D3000 series body, get some great glass and then go full frame rather than spending $600 more for a D7100 and then go full frame.

If it were between a D5x00 and the D7100 ... the difference is only a couple of hundered bucks, so it would make sense (to me) and just splurge that bit more into a better body ... but a $600 difference does make one stop to think.

God, I'm so indecisive with these things LOL!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Aw, just bite the bullet and get the D7100. You won't regret it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

neroas wrote:On night shots, I will say this. You must have realistic expectations. You can achieve some very nice shots FX or DX at low light/night, and while the ISO can be cranked up it's still a bit touchy and depends on lighting conditions and what you are shooting. While FX does better in low light, there are some realities that apply to both and there are compromises to be made in shooting low light.

If you get into night shots no matter what the camera, you will probably want a good tripod.

This is hand held, just an example. Was playing around with settings/lens down sized for posting.

nightdt.jpg

I agree the camera that you have with you is a good camera. While FX is nice, it is a bigger camera to lug around. I shoot in manual a lot, so those extra controls, I value a lot. The lenses will be the biggest investment and will go from body to body.

You also said easy access is important earlier and that's why I'm saying D7x00.

A tripod is a no brainer, I'd like to give a shot at astro photography as well ... star trails and such.

Size is another good point, a D3x00 is smaller so that's good for carrying it around Disneyland and such, but a bigger camera like the D7100 does feel better in the hand.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

JLives wrote:Aw, just bite the bullet and get the D7100. You won't regret it.

If only it were that easy LOL!

A new computer is so much easier ... either crap or a Mac LOL!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Hmmmm... I suggest getting the 3100 kit sitting at LD; they'll be glad to be rid of it :-P, and then you have an extra $600 for:

that 85mm f/1.8 ($529)
or
enough to get the 50mm f/1.8 ($229) and an SB-700 flash ($379)
or
splurge on a 60mm f/2.8 Macro ($629)
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Dizzy1 wrote:A tripod is a no brainer, I'd like to give a shot at astro photography as well ... star trails and such.

Size is another good point, a D3x00 is smaller so that's good for carrying it around Disneyland and such, but a bigger camera like the D7100 does feel better in the hand.

I picked this up for under $100 during Boxing week http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002DW9 ... ge_o02_s00 It fits all of my gear comfortably with room for a bit more.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have a sling pack similar to that that I would be willing to part with for a reasonable price!

Like this one

http://www.londondrugs.com/Lowepro-Slin ... -bagscases
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

kgcayenne wrote:Hmmmm... I suggest getting the 3100 kit sitting at LD; they'll be glad to be rid of it :-P, and then you have an extra $600 for:

that 85mm f/1.8 ($529)
or
enough to get the 50mm f/1.8 ($229) and an SB-700 flash ($379)
or
splurge on a 60mm f/2.8 Macro ($629)

I looked online when I was out of town but couldn't find anything. I'm heading out to a couple of used bookstores anyways in a bit, so I'll swing by and take a peek-a-boo and see if Vernon has any.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Speaking of bags and such. Anyone got one of those Black Rapid's Jared always talks about? Took a look at their website, while I don't like the idea of the camera hanging off to my side like that ... it sure beats it bobbing on and off the ol' tummy LOL! I do like how it connects to the tripod mounting hole thingy though.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:I have a sling pack similar to that that I would be willing to part with for a reasonable price!

Like this one

http://www.londondrugs.com/Lowepro-Slin ... -bagscases

Dude, I'm having enough problems deciding on what camera to buy ... can't even imagine the stress when it comes time to pick a bag LOL!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Well, if you don't take the LowePro, I will.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”