Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Post by GordonH »

Atomoa wrote:Which North American city sprawls 400km? How many Canadians travel over 150km in their commute? The average is 25 minutes commuting.

We get it - you're not buying one until you can drive halfway across Canada without stopping. Meanwhile most people commute under 50km a day.

I don't just use my vehicle form daily commutes, I also travel via my vehicle & may time back roads. So for that reason this vehicle would useless
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Good thing you're the minority.

I'm glad that soon we won't have to choke on fumes, ruin the planet and fight wars and murder people so you can "take the scenic route without having to stop".
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Atomoa wrote:Good thing you're the minority.

I'm glad that soon we won't have to choke on fumes, ruin the planet and fight wars and murder people so you can "take the scenic route without having to stop".

Wow, when I'm out on some of those back road I see a lot of others doing the same thing I'm doing. Hey I do stop Atomoa just not because my vehicle needs more go go juice.

I have no problem EV vehicles they just to have better range & be more competitive for all buyers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

actually the world will change gordon , the time will come when gas powered trucks and suv wont be wanted by the average person , it will be thought of as poison which it really is
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:Which North American city sprawls 400km? How many Canadians travel over 150km in their commute? The average is 25 minutes commuting.

That's the problem with your way of thinking, it's one dimensional, you're only thinking Point A to Point B and ignoring all the other points the average person drives in between - shopping, errands, kids soccer practice, etc. People don't have time to find a place to plug their cars in between their daily schedule.

Don't forget, the range advertised for EVs are under ideal conditions - just like the MPG sticker on a gas powered car - the real world numbers are lower.
Atomoa wrote:We get it - you're not buying one until you can drive halfway across Canada without stopping.

A view that most people share with me.
Atomoa wrote: Meanwhile most people commute under 50km a day.

So, how come we aren't seeing a mass exodus of EVs on the roads? Why aren't people lining up to trade their cars in? Why are people choosing a Versa over a Leaf?

On any average day in any Canadian city, you could count the amount of private EVs on one hand. Once you see the performance become comparable to a gas engine, then you'll see the average consumer switching. That's the reality.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:Good thing you're the minority.

Care to back up your claim?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:actually the world will change gordon , the time will come when gas powered trucks and suv wont be wanted by the average person , it will be thought of as poison which it really is

The world will change - but we're not there yet.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Dizzy1 wrote:Care to back up your claim?

Any internet search will show the average North American commute to be 25 minutes. Here in Canada the vast majority of the population lives in urban centres. Instead of questioning a known and easily accessible fact perhaps build your case up with points about how the "average Canadain" needs to drive from Kelowna to Saskatchewan on a regular basis. Or show links how the average Canadian runs 400km worth of errands a day.
Last edited by Atomoa on Oct 14th, 2015, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Dizzy1 wrote:So, how come we aren't seeing a mass exodus of EVs on the roads? Why aren't people lining up to trade their cars in? Why are people choosing a Versa over a Leaf?

Because electric cars are still way too expensive.

Because even though people commute 20 minutes/day at very short distance, they don't want to be stuck with a car that is limited in range for that one weekend when they want to drive to Nelson/Vancouver/Calgary. People rather have a car that fits their lifestyle 100% as opposed to 90%.

Because electric cars are still relatively new and who knows what they will require 3 year later in terms of maintenance and upkeep.

In my opinion, electric cars will eventually find their consumers. It won't be everybody, and to be honest far from everybody. But I figure if the price stops being an issue and the fear of unknown is removed, may be 25% cars on the road will be electric at some point.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Captain Awesome wrote:Because electric cars are still way too expensive.

Because even though people commute 20 minutes/day at very short distance, they don't want to be stuck with a car that is limited in range for that one weekend when they want to drive to Nelson/Vancouver/Calgary. People rather have a car that fits their lifestyle 100% as opposed to 90%.

Because electric cars are still relatively new and who knows what they will require 3 year later in terms of maintenance and upkeep.

In my opinion, electric cars will eventually find their consumers. It won't be everybody, and to be honest far from everybody. But I figure if the price stops being an issue and the fear of unknown is removed, may be 25% cars on the road will be electric at some point.

Pretty much this. Especially the part I bolded. That tidbit + price (initial cost + maintenance) is what keeps me away. It's a different situation for people who never leave the city vs. rural folk vs. those who travel long distances. Can't paint them all the same. They require different solutions. For myself, ideally, I'd have 1 EV for daily driver and 1 gas vehicle for certain other tasks. (that's not counting our tractors etc. haha) But I can't justify 2 vehicles right now.
Your bias suits you.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

As soon as they make an electric truck I'm in. A truck is necessary for my job and my lifestyle. If I can get 175km off a daily charge I would be set. For those rare trips to concerts or to visit family on the Island we could always rent a vehicle. The daily driving fuel savings would make it well worth my while.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

We're lost but we're making good time.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:Any internet search will show the average North American commute to be 25 minutes.

Still thinking in simple straight lines I see.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Because electric cars are still way too expensive.

Minus Government rebates/incentives, they can be comparable in price.
Captain Awesome wrote:Because even though people commute 20 minutes/day at very short distance, they don't want to be stuck with a car that is limited in range for that one weekend when they want to drive to Nelson/Vancouver/Calgary. People rather have a car that fits their lifestyle 100% as opposed to 90%.

Which is exactly the view some of us have been sharing.
Captain Awesome wrote:In my opinion, electric cars will eventually find their consumers. It won't be everybody, and to be honest far from everybody. But I figure if the price stops being an issue and the fear of unknown is removed, may be 25% cars on the road will be electric at some point.

As I've said before, they're coming - eventually and it'll take time.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Who knows what the far future holds. Some social engineers state our way of life is built around vehicles and not people. Roads, long distances to destinations, large parking areas or parkades are all a waste of space that cause our cities to sprawl. Perhaps a vehicle-less society except for commercial/industrial necessities and extra-city travel is a coming trend. Cities that are smaller but hold as many people and with less pollution. I like the idea of horizontal or vertical elevators. I'd rather have this than self driving vehicles... They just take the fun out of having one at all.

http://voices.mckinseyonsociety.com/let ... -not-cars/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”