44009
43200

Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby Jlabute » Jun 21st, 2017, 12:00 pm

The Chevy Canada site says up to $14,000 in incentives.

I went to Build/Purchase a bolt, and it listed
$5,000 Government Incentive (calculated before tax) for the Bolt, $6,000 for a Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.

In Quebec you get $12,000

https://www.cevforbc.ca/clean-energy-vehicle-program
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.
User avatar
Jlabute
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 983
Likes: 438 posts
Liked in: 506 posts
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby GordonH » Jun 21st, 2017, 1:00 pm

What I see needed in BC & across Western Provinces in many more SuperCharging stations. The ability to fully charge electric vehicle as quickly as possible. i.e Testa supercharger can fully charge in 75 minutes.

If you are traveling around each of the 4 Western Provinces, it would good to know that supercharging is available. Without it you will be there for while, no one want spend majority of there 2 week vacation charging the vehicle.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17568
Likes: 1678 posts
Liked in: 5218 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby Old Techie » Jun 21st, 2017, 4:35 pm

GordonH wrote:What I see needed in BC & across Western Provinces in many more SuperCharging stations. The ability to fully charge electric vehicle as quickly as possible. i.e Testa supercharger can fully charge in 75 minutes.

If you are traveling around each of the 4 Western Provinces, it would good to know that supercharging is available. Without it you will be there for while, no one want spend majority of there 2 week vacation charging the vehicle.


You have a valid point, however don't forget that these days the lion's share of families have multiple vehicles, hence there is nothing preventing them from using their EV for manageable local trips, and a fossil fuel or hybrid for the longer excursions, where the availability of charging stations and type may vary.
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Übergod
 
Posts: 1564
Likes: 1222 posts
Liked in: 1921 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby GordonH » Jun 21st, 2017, 4:55 pm

GordonH wrote:What I see needed in BC & across Western Provinces in many more SuperCharging stations. The ability to fully charge electric vehicle as quickly as possible. i.e Testa supercharger can fully charge in 75 minutes.

If you are traveling around each of the 4 Western Provinces, it would good to know that supercharging is available. Without it you will be there for while, no one want spend majority of there 2 week vacation charging the vehicle.

Old Techie wrote:You have a valid point, however don't forget that these days the lion's share of families have multiple vehicles, hence there is nothing preventing them from using their EV for manageable local trips, and a fossil fuel or hybrid for the longer excursions, where the availability of charging stations and type may vary.

True, since I have no need for more then 1 vehicle.
Big improvements will need to happen with electric vehicles before I would switch, 2 main ones for myself.
Distance before recharging
Time it takes to fully recharge

My current fossil fuel vehicle gets me to Brooks before I have to fill up, filling up takes only minutes.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17568
Likes: 1678 posts
Liked in: 5218 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby Glacier » Jun 22nd, 2017, 8:53 am

Jlabute wrote:The Chevy Canada site says up to $14,000 in incentives.

I went to Build/Purchase a bolt, and it listed
$5,000 Government Incentive (calculated before tax) for the Bolt, $6,000 for a Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.

In Quebec you get $12,000

https://www.cevforbc.ca/clean-energy-vehicle-program

You have to purchase in your care in January. You get the $5000 federally and the $6000 provincially (in BC), BUT they only give out like 500/year, so you have to be one of the first 500.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25226
Likes: 2187 posts
Liked in: 7383 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby Old Techie » Jun 22nd, 2017, 3:44 pm

GordonH wrote:
GordonH wrote:What I see needed in BC & across Western Provinces in many more SuperCharging stations. The ability to fully charge electric vehicle as quickly as possible. i.e Testa supercharger can fully charge in 75 minutes.

If you are traveling around each of the 4 Western Provinces, it would good to know that supercharging is available. Without it you will be there for while, no one want spend majority of there 2 week vacation charging the vehicle.

Old Techie wrote:You have a valid point, however don't forget that these days the lion's share of families have multiple vehicles, hence there is nothing preventing them from using their EV for manageable local trips, and a fossil fuel or hybrid for the longer excursions, where the availability of charging stations and type may vary.

True, since I have no need for more then 1 vehicle.
Big improvements will need to happen with electric vehicles before I would switch, 2 main ones for myself.
Distance before recharging
Time it takes to fully recharge

My current fossil fuel vehicle gets me to Brooks before I have to fill up, filling up takes only minutes.


A Hybrid may be more suitable in your case.
"Just because some people are fueled by drama doesn't mean you have to attend the performance."
User avatar
Old Techie
Übergod
 
Posts: 1564
Likes: 1222 posts
Liked in: 1921 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Tesla to Sell $35,000 model by 2017.

Postby Dizzy1 » Jun 24th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Queen K wrote:
Diz, how right you were back then. What do you think now with the Liberal promises?

Hmmmm - a bunch of charging stations funded by the taxpayer based on political games. If there is such a immediate demand for it, let the private corporations invest in it. Needless to say, it's more than a simple charging station hat needs to be built - the entire power infrastructure will need to be upgraded and funded - more tax dollars gone.

I drove home the other night from WalMart - 15 fuel stations in between - not one charging station. If one fuel station is closed - I just need to cross the street to another. Charging stations, even with these promises - will still be far in between to be convenient enough for the majority of the population to make the switch.

As I've said before, call me when an EV can get me 800kms and recharge in no more than 5 minutes then it'll spark my interest - until then - no use for me.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Guru
 
Posts: 9868
Likes: 3744 posts
Liked in: 4203 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Tesla to Sell $35,000 model by 2017.

Postby 36Drew » Jun 24th, 2017, 10:18 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:If there is such a immediate demand for it, let the private corporations invest in it.


The BCUC needs to change regulations to allow non-utilities to meter and sell electricity. Until that happens, you won't be seeing private corporations setting up charging stations in the same manner as gas stations.


Dizzy1 wrote:I drove home the other night from WalMart - 15 fuel stations in between - not one charging station. If one fuel station is closed - I just need to cross the street to another. Charging stations, even with these promises - will still be far in between to be convenient enough for the majority of the population to make the switch.


You must have missed the five that are all within a few blocks of Walmart. I do agree, there's limited options in Kelowna. Down here, there's charge stations everywhere - even at work.

Dizzy1 wrote:As I've said before, call me when an EV can get me 800kms and recharge in no more than 5 minutes then it'll spark my interest - until then - no use for me.


You can't even get that out of a gas-fueled vehicle. That's two tanks worth of gas.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2325
Likes: 23 posts
Liked in: 434 posts
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby Queen K » Jun 24th, 2017, 10:24 pm

36Drew, where's "down here"? And do the charge stations get their power from any solar source at all?
Please edit "Horgan" to "Premier Horgan" to show solidarity towards a successful tenure. Remember: The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 47321
Likes: 7942 posts
Liked in: 8787 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Tesla to Sell $35,000 model by 2017.

Postby Dizzy1 » Jun 24th, 2017, 10:29 pm

36Drew wrote:You must have missed the five that are all within a few blocks of Walmart.

I do agree, there's limited options in Kelowna.

Did I say Kelowna? As I said, zero between Walmart and home.
36Drew wrote:You can't even get that out of a gas-fueled vehicle. That's two tanks worth of gas.

Huh? My current BMW and previous 2 VW's get an average of just over 700km if I drive appropriately. The last car I had that got around the 400km mark would have been my old Mustang GT with the 4.6L V8.

Going the diesel route - The Mrs' TDI gets a cool 1000km on a 55L tank of diesel easily.

Bring on the VW Polo Bluemotion and you can get 70mpg out of a gas powered engine. Thats 4.0L/100km - 45L tank = 1100km on gas.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Guru
 
Posts: 9868
Likes: 3744 posts
Liked in: 4203 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Tesla to Sell $35,000 model by 2017.

Postby GordonH » Jun 24th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:As I've said before, call me when an EV can get me 800kms and recharge in no more than 5 minutes then it'll spark my interest - until then - no use for me.

36Drew wrote:You can't even get that out of a gas-fueled vehicle. That's two tanks worth of gas.


Then 36Drew you need to get a more fuel efficient vehicle, my vehicle gets just over 5L/100 Km (for old school thats 54 miles per imperial gallon highway)

Dizzy1 likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17568
Likes: 1678 posts
Liked in: 5218 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby 36Drew » Jun 25th, 2017, 9:51 am

Queen K wrote:36Drew, where's "down here"? And do the charge stations get their power from any solar source at all?


"Down here" is west of the Port-Mann bridge. No, the charge stations don't have solar panels on them. They're at many of the shopping centers, Tim Hortons, Starbucks, and such. Many employers (including my own) have chargers installed on-site for employee use.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Queen K likes this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2325
Likes: 23 posts
Liked in: 434 posts
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm
Location: Coquitlam

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby Symbonite » Jun 26th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Hold your horses....

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/200406 ... to-plug-in

Maybe that new 4 cyl internal combustion engine is still a better deal in the long run... Comon 16 bucks an hour to charge the car and still charge for the parking spot?

Looking at these charging specs....thats not a good deal at all vs Gas. Well RIP electric cars again like the GM EVO

https://www.tesla.com/charging
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Queen K likes this post.
User avatar
Symbonite
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3159
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 603 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2005, 10:30 am
Location: From Within

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby Dizzy1 » Jun 26th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Symbonite wrote:Hold your horses....

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/200406 ... to-plug-in

Maybe that new 4 cyl internal combustion engine is still a better deal in the long run... Comon 16 bucks an hour to charge the car and still charge for the parking spot?

Looking at these charging specs....thats not a good deal at all vs Gas. Well RIP electric cars again like the GM EVO

https://www.tesla.com/charging

But, but, but ... its supposed to be free :laugh:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Guru
 
Posts: 9868
Likes: 3744 posts
Liked in: 4203 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Postby Dizzy1 » Jun 27th, 2017, 4:17 am

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Jlabute likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Guru
 
Posts: 9868
Likes: 3744 posts
Liked in: 4203 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Computers, Science, Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests