Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
django
Board Meister

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Post by django »

Consumer reports is dropping their recommendation for this car.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/tes ... erformance
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Specific areas that scored worse on the 2015 model, compared with the 2014 model in last year’s survey, were the climate control, steering, and suspension systems. Complaints about the drive system have also increased as the cars have aged—specifically for the 2013 model, which was the car’s first full model year. (See more details on the Tesla Model S model page.)

But those problems mostly still fall under Tesla’s four-year/50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty (and eight-year/unlimited mileage battery and drivetrain warranty), so they are generally being corrected at no cost to owners.

Despite the problems, our data show that Tesla owner satisfaction is still very high: Ninety-seven percent of owners said they would definitely buy their car again. It appears that Tesla has been responsive to replacing faulty motors, differentials, brakes, and infotainment systems, all with a minimum of fuss to owners.

And Tesla’s attention to customer service has been effective. Almost every survey respondent made note of Tesla’s rapid response and repair time, despite the lack of a traditional dealer service network. For its early adopters, Tesla has made a practice of overdelivering on service problems under the factory warranty, as noted by these owners:

“A minor amount of play developed in the differential gears. Tesla replaced the entire drive system. Remarkable service!”

And:

“Had a creaking ball joint in the driver[-side] front lower control arm. Tesla replaced it the following day after they were notified.”

Yes there will be bugs. Gasoline cars have no problems at all I suppose?
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Nissan makes a good electric consumerreports says. They are very reputable. Tesla is a newcomer to vehicles I guess not as much know how in making reliability. More electronics, less reliability maybe? It'll get better over time... Like Hyundai.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Tesla is ke.eping its cars on the forefront of development, very close to self driving now. New stuff is always a bit prone to going awry.
If you stay with basics there really is not much to go wrong with an electric car.
My electric tractor just keeps on shrugging off the abuse we give it
We're lost but we're making good time.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20151030 ... re-no-more

Another lotus based electric. Hey this one looks nice.

6831 battery cells.... Holeeee moleeee.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bump
You can order this car as of today, no idea when you will actually receive it thought.

it will have a range of 320 Km's on a single charge.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

New model Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars are coming out too. Take a look at Honda and Toyota, etc. Advantage of Hydrogen is you get to go 2 or 3 times as far, you can refuel in 3 minutes, you are not affected by outdoor temperature (like batteries). Down-side, not many hydrogen stations around.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Jlabute wrote:New model Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars are coming out too. Take a look at Honda and Toyota, etc. Advantage of Hydrogen is you get to go 2 or 3 times as far, you can refuel in 3 minutes, you are not affected by outdoor temperature (like batteries). Down-side, not many hydrogen stations around.

The problem with hydrogen fuel cells is that they require huge infrastructure build out. Electricity is readily available on the other hand.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

http://www.netinform.net/H2/H2Stations/ ... ationID=-1

Yes, electricity is very available, but you know, the number of H2 stations is growing. One could easily own an H2 car in a lot of areas of the USA or Canada, or Japan. China has a few as well as India, etc.

As nice as it would be to have a $40000 commuter car, H2 would at least get me to Vancouver. In an electric, I'd probably have to stay over-night in Merrit.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Jlabute wrote:http://www.netinform.net/H2/H2Stations/ ... ationID=-1

Yes, electricity is very available, but you know, the number of H2 stations is growing. One could easily own an H2 car in a lot of areas of the USA or Canada, or Japan. China has a few as well as India, etc.

As nice as it would be to have a $40000 commuter car, H2 would at least get me to Vancouver. In an electric, I'd probably have to stay over-night in Merrit.

Since only 1 of those fuelling stations is actually in operation (only 3 stations in Canada are in operation), the others out of service & number of those don't do passenger cars anyway.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I hope they work on an electric truck soon. I would probably sell my first born for one.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So at 1,000 cars per week (not sure Tesla output) it will take 198 weeks to build the current orders for new version.

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/1622 ... it-198-000
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

I think Jlives, that by the time electric cars are truly practical options for everyone, your first born son may be safe from being sold and looking for his own EV. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating a bit but food for thought

-is the $35000 price in US dollars for basic model?
- warranty on battery? (Replacement of a battery for an electric car can cost about one third of the car)
- maximum mileage on a charge depends on driving habits, road conditions and general maintenance of vehicle
- supercharging stations where EV can be charged in about 30 minutes are still not everywhere
- can charge overnight at home with right outlet and if you own your home
- how easy is it to find mechanic certified to service EVs
- how well does the EV model do in cold weather . Most have a reduction in range that gets worse the colder the weather
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Elon says they should be able to manufacture 500k vehicles/year. So, anyone that orders the model 3 shouldn't have to wait too long.

As per going all electric, that is just not for me. One could also expect battery capacity to fall to ~2/3 at -10c. Lithium ion hates the cold as well as many other battery chemistries. Voltage drops too. -25c you'd be looking at about 1/2 capacity and -40c you'd be looking at close to dead. Thankfully it doesn't get that cold often.

In Canada $35000 will translate to $45000 plus a few grand for delivery etc, then taxes for a sexy commuter. You could drive around the okanagan in the summer. In the winter, maybe not depending how the cold weather affects your immediate battery capacity. Canadian battery packs will likely need more frequent replacement ($6500cdn maybe every 8 years in favourable conditions... perhaps 6 years in Canada.) Doesn't seem economical to me.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Until an EV gives me comparable performance (range, etc.) for a comparable price - I'll continue to enjoy my combustion engine.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”