Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Tesla to Sell $35,000 model by 2017.

Post by GordonH »

Hey CA, not all of us are deaf. So please stop the yelling okay. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Quimber

Post by Quimber »

Our Government which claims to be concerned about our environment (carbon tax etc.) should have an incentive in place to help buy electric vehicles. However, oil revenues are keeping our economy relatively strong. Without oil money our economy and general lifestyle would take a huge drop. Look at the big picture and decide how much you are willing to sacrifice for a greener earth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Globe and Mail Sept. 1/14

Journal of an electrical car Tesla journey. Peter Cheney's daily journal for his Telsa Trip.

tgam.ca/electriccar

From California to Whistler, purely electric charging all the way.

Good read.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Those of you who think that electricity to charge your eCars is going to stay free or cheap - I have some Government regulated car insurance I'd like to sell you.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I just thought of question for someone who's pro electric vehicle's:

How many parts and/or pieces of these electric vehicle's... bikes, motorcycle, mopeds, cars etc..etc

Question: Are made out of plastic.

Which is by-product of oil production.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Dizzy1 wrote:Those of you who think that electricity to charge your eCars is going to stay free or cheap - I have some Government regulated car insurance I'd like to sell you.

The reason Tesla is offering free charging is to shut out the competition. They are currently installing charging stations in Kamloops, Golden, and Revelstoke, but the catch is that only Tesla cars can use the stations since the charging stations use proprietary technology unavailable to other electric cars.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Glacier wrote:The reason Tesla is offering free charging is to shut out the competition. They are currently installing charging stations in Kamloops, Golden, and Revelstoke, but the catch is that only Tesla cars can use the stations since the charging stations use proprietary technology unavailable to other electric cars.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes:
That’s according to the Financial Times (subscription required), who says that both Nissan and BMW are keen to enter into a joint agreement to build and maintain charging networks that Tesla, BMW, and Nissan owners could use.

As Musk admitted himself last week in a media Q&A session following the announcement that Tesla was turning all of its patents into freely-available information under the open-source model, top BMW executives travelled to Palo Alto the day before Tesla’s monumental announcement to discuss how they could work more closely together. Sharing Tesla’s supercharging technology was most certainly on the agenda.

“We talked about potential ways to collaborate and one of them was on the Supercharging network,” Musk said on Thursday last week. “We’re more than happy for others to use our Supercharger network or to build and install them and then have some sort of cross-use agreement.”

Full article here: http://transportevolved.com/2014/06/16/nissan-bmw-look-adopt-teslas-charging-standard/
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

smart move
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Just give it a decade or so and those "free" charging stations will be demanding a fee eerily similar to what a tank of gas now costs. LOL

Anyone remember the big push to switch over to propane a couple of decades back? Didn't take long for couriers and others to figure out that the cost of propane was going up so fast they'd likely never recoup their conversion costs.

It's almost twenty-five bucks now to fill a BBQ tank.

I predict the same song will be played yet again.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Post by 01066 »

Tesla had been promising to sell its ModelS years ago. And even in the unlikely event they do make this (latest promise)-so what? EV's, or at least our present current conception of them, leave virtually every single problem cars create unresolved.And the few narrow instances where EVs few benefits do outweigh the gas-burning mobile garbage can, after investing so heavily in them you will be wondering where the payoff is.

The problem, I should stress is not with electric propulsion and transport, if you haven't figured that part out yet. Rather, its our obsessive desire to keep the cars running at any cost-just by different means. Even looking at one key metric, the actual production and distribution of EVs to 'consumers' highlights the problem clearly. EVs will not be-cannot be built with electricity. They will in fact, be built by oil. The minerals\metals, the electronics, the batteries,the workers that build them are fed by oil and will drive to Teslas factories in oil burning cars, all the useless energy sucking gee-haws EV makers want to stuff into them-all built by oil. Nor will be EVs be moved from factory to 'consumer' via electricity-again these heavy vehicles will be shuttled around by oil(if they ever built in any quantity). Ultimately, they will disposed and recycled almost exclusively with oil powered equipment as well.For a product thats supposed to 'save the earth' from the tyranny of the gas-burning car, the production of EVs is almost exactly as energy, water and material intensive as what you got now. And thats just one aspect of the 'problem' with cars that EVs do nothing to address-much less improve on.

Full life-cycle analysis of EVs are not kind to the notion that EV's are 'green'.

So take pick your poison, death by Car, or death by EV.

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/05/ ... range.html
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

you can make plastic from hemp oil , you can make car parts from hemp fibre, try googling what henry fords first cars were made of. so to say it has to rely on fossil fuel is simply not true
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Glacier wrote:http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1094354_what-will-tesla-gigafactory-cost-nevada-how-about-1-3-billion

cool nice see tesla creating jobs
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

lakevixen wrote:you can make plastic from hemp oil , you can make car parts from hemp fibre, try googling what henry fords first cars were made of. so to say it has to rely on fossil fuel is simply not true

They used to make cars out of wood and cow skins. Heck, they used to have trucks that run on firewood. Doesn't mean we have to come back to them. Not exactly progress when you go back to archaic methods of doing something.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

They used to make cars out of wood and cow skins. Heck, they used to have trucks that run on firewood. Doesn't mean we have to come back to them. Not exactly progress when you go back to archaic methods of doing something.

lol can you prove plastic made from hemp oil is sub par to in the fround oil plastic? or the panels made from hemp fibre is sub par to whats used now? im not sure how you could see as going backwards? im more inclined to think to keep going with unchanged except more plastic is going backwards

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”