TV Q - Telus vs Shaw

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: TV Q - Telus vs Shaw

Post by GordonH »

Once the promotion price is over both Telus & Shaw are about the same price. I suspect that if you were to ask Shaw to match Telus 1 year promo they would.

So boils down to 1/2 dozen of 1 or 6 of the other.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Basically.

Which is all I've been trying to get across, apparently my wording is wrong. You've just stated the same thing I've stated but with far less words...

;)
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Telus is a bit cheaper and Optik is better.
Your bias suits you.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Woodenhead wrote:Telus is a bit cheaper and Optik is better.

Define "better"

I went with Shaw because Optik cable could only support HD on 2 devices at once, and it uses internet bandwidth, which is already fairly limited with Telus service. When using a lot of bandwidth, it could interfere with tv quality. I suppose it would be fine for 1 or 2 people, i have 3 roommates though, who all like to use internet and cable at once, and Telus service just wasn't going to cut it for us.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The only issues I have with Shaw TV is that there is no CTV HD, except if you add time shift than you get HD out of Toronto.

All the other networks I get local HD:
Global out of Kelowna CHBC
CBC out of Vancouver
NBC, CBS & ABC out of Seattle
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I don't have timeshift, and I get CTV Toronto in HD on channel 210. I think timeshift gives you a bunch of SD channels. It is too bad that we don't get the local version in HD, but it's probably something to do with Bell. I know we get local global and BC1 in HD
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:The only issues I have with Shaw TV is that there is no CTV HD, except if you add time shift than you get HD out of Toronto.

All the other networks I get local HD:
Global out of Kelowna CHBC
CBC out of Vancouver
NBC, CBS & ABC out of Seattle

Yes, and it's available in the Lower Mainland and Vancr Island in HD. When you talk to Shaw about why they don't supply it in the interior of BC, all they say is "well fill out a request form if we get enough that want it we'll consider it".
I can see "filling out a request form" if I wanted some out of the ordinary channel, but CTV ? ! How many 10's of thousands in the interior would think of requesting CTV West HD in Western Canada ?

If you went to a news stand in Kelowna and found all sorts of newspapers for all over the world but not the Kelowna Courier and you asked about it and the proprietor said, "you'll have to fill out a request form and if we get enough requests for that paper we'll start stocking it". You'd think he was completely nuts.

Guess who rang the door bell yesterday afternoon ? A Telus representative, apparently they've just recently installed fiber optic cable in my area in Summerland and are looking to sign people up. Telus has CTV West HD.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So are you going to switch to Telus?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I'm going to talk to them. See what they say. I always swore I'd steer clear of Telus

It's really a shame. I like the Shaw equipment (Gateway). It works great. When I've had a problem or I wanted to upgrade they were fantastic. IWAS a big Shaw fan.

I've been communicating on a Shaw Chat forum on the Shaw site and the mods have been awful. Editing, deleting and locking posts that were not rude but were expressing CUSTOMER frustration. I think that will end, as in, we won't be customers any more.

Asking about CTV HD West has been the biggest eye opener. What a strange way to handle a CUSTOMER request.

If I was a senior manager of Shaw and I was aware this was taking place, heads would roll.

But like many large corporations the direct dealings with the "great unwashed", ie the money paying customer, is only handled by the lower echelon and the ones who could make a difference are completely isolated and won't know how unhappy a large number of customers are will be when they are ex-customers and sales are in the dumper.

How not to run a cable system.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”