10,000-year-old cave paintings depicting ‘aliens’

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

10,000-year-old cave paintings depicting ‘aliens’

Post by steven lloyd »

10,000-year-old cave paintings depicting ‘aliens’ baffle archaeologists

Archaeologist JR Bhagat believes these images are the real deal and says they may serve as evidence that Earth was once visited by an advanced alien civilization.

“The paintings are done in natural colours that have hardly faded despite the years. The strangely carved figures are seen holding weapon-like objects and do not have clear features. Specially, the nose and mouth are missing. In [a] few pictures, they are even shown wearing space suits,” he told the Times of India.

Interestingly, the cave itself is located in an place known for its out-of-this-world legends. In the villages of Chandeli and Gotitola, which the cave runs below, local residents know of an ancient tale of the “rohela people,” or the small ones, who would come down from the sky, take away several villagers with them and never return.

The Chhattisgarh State Department of Archaeology and Culture is now planning to have NASA and ISRO look into the paintings and see what can be found.

But if you still think these are just sloppy cavemen paintings, NASA just announced that it will find aliens by 2026.

http://www.theloop.ca/10000-year-old-ca ... eologists/
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: 10,000-year-old cave paintings depicting ‘aliens’

Post by hobbyguy »

My guess is that since they didn't have TV, this was the original version of "Ancient Aliens".

More seriously, we interpret things based on cultural bias. If, for example, it were Australian Aborigines who discovered these rock paintings, might not they interpret them as depictions of "spirit children" in the "dream time"? http://www.crystalinks.com/dreamtime.html

We can not really know what the meaning of these paintings is. Just as a word like "tweet" has taken on a new meaning in our modern cultural context, the meaning of images changes over time.

More contemporaneously, if I see paintings from the 1870's that have flowers in them, I see pretty flowers. But in Victorian England, the viewer would have seen hidden messages. http://thelanguageofflowers.com/

But then I like geraniums...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Archaeologists have discovered cultures all over the world with no contact with each other drew the same geometric shapes. It is now therorized that this is because they were all high on some sort of mind altering drug when doing their work, and since mind altering drugs effect the same part of the brain in everyone no matter the cultural, ethnic, or religious background, they were all inspired to draw the same things.

Along these lines, people have been seeing aliens for 1000s of years as well, and wouldn't you know it they all look the same even when they have no cultural connections. Maybe it's because they are all eating the same mushrooms.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

There are tons of these kind of interesting archeological finds.

The pyramids in Egypt have them. Old paintings from all over the globe have flying saucers in the skies.

How do 3 or 4 different continents/countries have pyramids being constructed perfectly all over the place at the same time... when travel to other continents was either non-existent or severely limited?

Amazing stuff really and of course, a tin-foil hat wearing loonies wet dream.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Someone from the Future has a time machine and is going back and painting them to mess with our minds.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I wouldn't be surprised if the similarity in geometric shapes drawn by cultures is perhaps related to "the golden ratio": http://www.ask.com/wiki/Golden_ratio?o=2801&qsrc=999&ad=doubleDown&an=apn&ap=ask.com
http://www.goldennumber.net/art-composition-design/

Obviously ancient culture weren't "doing the math" like Da Vinci might have. But they knew what pleased their eye.

I have found that even in simple things, right down to building fence lattice, using the golden ratio concept makes things look better. I was building shed, and wanted it to look "cottage - like", so I played with with possible roof pitches by nailing 1 x 2s together. The one that "looked right" to me was very close to golden ratio numbers when I got off my duff and calculated it.

So there are shapes and proportions of things that are just more appealing. Whether that has something to do with how the brain-eye system works, I'm not sure.

Those shapes/ratios appear often in nature as well.

There are also "tricks" that our vision/perceptions play on us that cut across time and cultures. http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/articles/Corner%20eye%20phenomena.html

When I looked at that picture, I found multiple places where there were faces. I'm sure that's because a) I was looking for faces and b) our brains are attuned to faces.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”