God Bless Google

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

God Bless Google

Post by Dizzy1 »

What would we do without Google and the internet?

A family member was having a problem with their smartphone the other day, it just wouldn't boot up. There was nothing in the instruction manual or user guide about how to troubleshoot it. So we did a quick Google search and within a minute we had the thing up and running again ... turned out you had to press the on button and the volume down button for 10 seconds and all will be well again. The Mrs. had a similar problem with her ereader, and again, nothing in the manual so we did a quick Google search and voila ... problem resolved in no time and all in the comfort of sitting in your jammies on the couch.

Thinking about that, I can't even count how many times in the last couple of years we've had a problem with something and were able to resolve the problem ourselves in a very short period of time. No going into stores and having them tell you "I don't know" or "You need a new one". No calling numbers and pressing "1", then "1", then "2", then "1", then "4" then "3", then "2" then "1" just to talk to someone who's accent you can't understand (even though you specified service in English) only to have them run various procedures that ends up taking you half an hour and the problem hasn't been resolved, so you take it in to the store to buy a new one.

So, for all the poop that the internet has to offer us, the one saving grace is that it truly does enable us to troubleshoot the simplest of things ourselves in a very short time period.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: God Bless Google

Post by rekabis »

Dizzy1 wrote:God Bless Google

Ummm… Google was built by a pair of Atheists leading a company that is (by now) over 70% secular/nonreligious. Just thought you’d want to know.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

rekabis wrote:Ummm… Google was built by a pair of Atheists leading a company that is (by now) over 70% secular/nonreligious. Just thought you’d want to know.

I thrive on irony ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Check out what our neighbours to the south are looking at.

http://youtu.be/wQtiIazfoQM
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

kgcayenne wrote:Check out what our neighbours to the south are looking at.

http://youtu.be/wQtiIazfoQM

That will bite the big one, that's for sure.
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

If I had a dollar for every debate/argument I've won thanks to a quick Google search I'd be rich. Sometimes knowing you're right is enough, for everything else - there's google :)
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+use+google

There's also the version that the censor would probably auto-correct for me:

http://www.justf_*_inggoogleit.com
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LordEd wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+use+google

There's also the version that the censor would probably auto-correct for me:

http://www.justf_*_inggoogleit.com

Wish some posters would do that too.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Just keep in mind, theres also a lot of incorrect and false information out there too. We've all said it before? Don't believe everything you see/read on the internet. And google can't change that fact.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

vinnied wrote:Just keep in mind, theres also a lot of incorrect and false information out there too. We've all said it before? Don't believe everything you see/read on the internet. And google can't change that fact.

So Google is a lot like Castanet?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just bigger
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

vinnied wrote:Just keep in mind, theres also a lot of incorrect and false information out there too. We've all said it before? Don't believe everything you see/read on the internet. And google can't change that fact.

So, how can we believe your post? Hmmmm ;)

Seriously though, very true. Looking for factual reference or an honest product review can be tough, but for trouble shooting a problem with an electronic device or your car, its a wonderful thing.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

google killed newspapers

and that's good. because the editor of newspaper doesn't decide what i will read about today.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thinktank wrote:google killed newspapers

and that's good. because the editor of newspaper doesn't decide what i will read about today.

Its better for the environment, less paper in the landfills. Better for the consumer, we can get news stories anywhere, anytime, right away. But no, the internet (not Google) did not kill newspapers ... they just evolved as humans have since the dawn of time.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Thinktank wrote:google killed newspapers

Newspapers have been in decline for 50 years, and long before in the invention of the internet let alone Google. TV killed the newspaper; Google was just the final nail in the coffin.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”