Installing external HD on a router.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Installing external HD on a router.

Post by Phoenix Within »

I have a ASUS RT-N56U Dual-band Wireless-N Router and I'm trying to hook up a WD 2TB external HD to it for file storage. The router's webpage recognizes the HD, but I can't see it on my computer. What do I need to change?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Scadam
Übergod

Re: Installing external HD on a router.

Post by Scadam »

Phoenix Within wrote:I have a ASUS RT-N56U Dual-band Wireless-N Router and I'm trying to hook up a WD 2TB external HD to it for file storage. The router's webpage recognizes the HD, but I can't see it on my computer. What do I need to change?

Might need to drill down through Network in windows explorer. Or even map it directly if the router webpage offers you a friendly name for it.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Tried locating it through Windows Explorer but couldn't find it. How would I map it directly? I think I can rename it through the router webpage.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I too was wondering how to do this, and that link explains it clearly. Thanks, Bsuds!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

It might depend on your version of windows, but in windows explorer you should be able to use the menu Tools...Map Network Drive. You basically just put \\ in front of the name of it and that's what you're mapping to.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”