Cellphone spammers

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
matai
Banned

Cellphone spammers

Post by matai »

1. So, lately I've been receiving a lot of unwanted spam text messages on my cellphone, # showing is 999-999-9999. How can I stop from receiving these?

2. Also, an automated spammer company keeps calling me from a 1-855#. I called back yesterday and their automated system says I have to call a long distance # from somewhere I don't know which country on Jupiter to get my phone # removed from their list. First off, I never wanted them to add me to their list. Where can I file a complaint and get them to stop spamming my phone?

Anyone else with same issues?
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Cellphone spammers

Post by WeatherWoman »

If you have an iphone, when you get the text click on contacts and scroll to the bottom and pick block caller.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
harrinsa

Post by harrinsa »

I don' t own a cellphone, but I received this the other day., Attn. to REMEMBER and REMINDER

Your old registration, for the Do Not Call List, may have expired or will expire soon Attn. REMEMBER and REMINDER

When I went on the Canada Website, I found out that my home phone number is due to expire on the DNC list on Oct 31 and I was able to immediately renew for another 5 years as well as adding my cell phone. Thought this was good info from the Gov't of Canada ...if you have a cell phone.

REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.
REMINDER ... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS!!

To prevent this, go to the following web-site for Canadian Telephone Numbers:

http://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/ and then click on English & then on "check my registration."
Then click on "extend my registration".

It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.

It blocks your number for five (5) years.

PLEASE HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Done. Registered all the numbers on my account.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Thanks, just re-registered my number as well, and found the link to make a complaint if it keeps happening:
https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/plt-cmp-eng

What's about the text messages? I don't even know who it's from, as the number showing is 999-999-9999. Anyway to stop them?
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Doing a quick search on the internet, it appears that cell phone numbers are not being released and any messages received are just spam according to the CRTC.

The Canadian Radio and Telecommunications Commission insists Canadian cellphone numbers will never be published and distributed to telemarketers.

The regulatory bureau was caught off guard Monday by a nasty new e-mail scam making the rounds of e-mail inboxes, warning readers that the government of Canada will be releasing the confidential cellphone numbers of millions of Canadians later this month, and that if readers didn’t register their cellphone numbers on the national Do Not Call website http://www.Innte-dncl.gc.ca, their phone number, even those currently registered on the national Do Not Call list, will be available to telemarketers.

Worse still, it says cellphone owners who don’t register on the Do Not Call list will be on the hook for long-distance charges for unwanted telemarketing calls.

“This e-mail does not come from us,” said Celine Legault, spokeswoman for the CRTC.

“When a consumer registers their number on the National Do Not Call List, telemarketers must not call them unless they have an exemption including calls made by or on behalf of: Registered charities, newspapers solely selling subscriptions, political parties, leadership contestants and candidates, a business to another business, companies that have an existing business relationship with a consumer (i.e., within the last 18 months), and organizations solely conducting market research, polls or surveys.”

“Even then, a consumer can request to be put on the telemarketer’s internal do not call list.”

If you receive an unsolicited e-mail titled “cell phone numbers go public this month,” delete it. Anyone concerned about their privacy should register on the Do Not Call list at http://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/03/17/cellphone-numbers-will-not-be-made-public-crtc
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

got spammed to recieve spam....

thats why when they ask for a cell phone number do not give it to them...use your home phone (if you have one) or use a fake number
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”