Cell phone question

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Cell phone question

Post by Poindexter »

Go with the iPhone. Mine is 5 years old and have only had to replace the main button. I'm amazed at the abuse it's taken, we lead a pretty active life. But it's always had a case and one of those screen protectors from the kiosk at the mall. The one I have now is like a sheet of glass, clear as crystal and thick.

Another thing that sets iPhones apart from androids is the battery. Just got back from 11 days of camping with no electricity. Had a couple small folding solar panels for electronics like rechargeable batteries, bluetooth speaker and our cell phones. We were lucky enough to be in cell range most of the trip so streamed a lot of music at night. My wife's android took so much power to keep charged we turned it off and just used my iPhone for the last week of the trip.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Poindexter wrote:Another thing that sets iPhones apart from androids is the battery. Just got back from 11 days of camping with no electricity. Had a couple small folding solar panels for electronics like rechargeable batteries, bluetooth speaker and our cell phones. We were lucky enough to be in cell range most of the trip so streamed a lot of music at night. My wife's android took so much power to keep charged we turned it off and just used my iPhone for the last week of the trip.

That's kind of a blanket statement that I know for a fact to be untrue.

Possibly your wife has an issue with that phone, or it just happens to be a crappy make.

I've had iPhones in the family several times and compared to my Androids they are always on the charger.

I also have a good friend who is a realtor and was a devout Apple fanboy for years, yet a couple of months back he too switched to a Galaxy Note 3 and the main reason was battery longevity. His Android makes it through his whole work day now, without issue, whereas his iPhone was never able to do that.

I go to work with my battery fully charged on a Galaxy Note 3 as well, and most of the time when I get back home it's still sitting in the 80 percent range and I have most all of it's features activated.

Not that it's even remotely necessary for my usage style, but worst case scenario on the Galaxy Note 3 I could even swap in a fresh battery if I so chose, something you also can't do with an iPhone.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

If you go home after a 8-10 hour period and are only sitting at 80% that means you have most of the services off/disabled and you very rarely use your phone.

I only say this because I also have a note 3 and that sucker only goes home at 80% when I haven't turned the screen on for more than 5 minutes total in a day to check the time.

Not to mention comparing an iPhone 5 to a note 3 is unfair, the battery capacities are drastically different. I find between the two I get about the same over-all run time(ie. I'm able to make it home and only have to charge it at night) due to the efficiency's of iOS and the horrible battery management of android.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ So how do you account for the drastic difference in performance my realtor friend is getting?

I know I don't use a phone as much as many do, but he is on his phone all day long and hasn't changed his habits, yet is seeing a marked increase in performance.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Note 3, much larger battery compared to an iPhone 5.

That's how.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Which makes sense given the size difference between the Note 3 & iPhone 5. One would be silly to expect the Galaxy would have a battery the same size as a smaller phone. Is that even a valid comparison? Apple simply doesn't make a phablet like Samsung.

In our house we've got Android, Windows, and iOS devices, and on each of them, if you do not have your settings done right, your battery life will totally and completely suck.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote:if you do not have your settings done right, your battery life will totally and completely suck.

Exactly.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

kgcayenne wrote:if you do not have your settings done right, your battery life will totally and completely suck.

Not only will your battery life suck, but your phone may suck data without your knowledge.

The daughter is on pay as you go, and we had to call Telus to block data because her windows phone simply grabbed it any time it could wiping out her prepaid balance within minutes. We can not find where in that damn phone (Nokia 520) to make it stop; some have said it's the operating system looking for updates--- typical Windows.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote:
The daughter is on pay as you go, and we had to call Telus to block data because her windows phone simply grabbed it any time it could wiping out her prepaid balance within minutes. We can not find where in that damn phone (Nokia 520) to make it stop; some have said it's the operating system looking for updates--- typical Windows.

Lots of apps go online without your knowledge and suck up "money". I had Telus turn mine off as well. (same phone)
No problems since.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

She is contemplating getting the Nokia 1020, but Telus does not offer it, so she would have to purchase an unlocked unit outright for $5-600. She'd be better-off getting a 3G tablet with a data plan instead.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Loed wrote:Note 3, much larger battery compared to an iPhone 5.

That's how.

Exactly hence it's a better phone than iPhone!

Cells aren't much good if they have to spend half the day attached to a charger.

His iPhone was like that and his Android isn't, not to mention the Note 3 can be fully charged in 1 hour. Try that with your iPhone.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Exactly hence it's a better phone than iPhone!

Cells aren't much good if they have to spend half the day attached to a charger.

His iPhone was like that and his Android isn't, not to mention the Note 3 can be fully charged in 1 hour. Try that with your iPhone.

I don't have an iPhone anymore, read my posts before responding with nonsense like this.

The note 3 takes 4-6 hours to charge from 15%(I know this because I've had one since release).

Yes, a larger battery will allow your phone to last longer during the day...

Battery life between a note 3 and an iPhone 5 is not a valid comparison, nor does it make something better in general.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:not to mention the Note 3 can be fully charged in 1 hour. Try that with your iPhone.

My 5s with the lightning adapter charges from 15% to 100% in about 30 minutes. My old Motoroloa Razr Droid took about an hour and a half but that was with the micro USB adapter so that is what is making the difference. As for battery perfomance, both oft phones are comparable. iPhones typically have smaller batteries but are more efficient - be interesting when the bigger 6 comes out.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Sep 2nd, 2014, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

And smartphones aren't much good if you have to turn off most features just to keep with in the limits of the manufacturers performance specs ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I may not be as pleased about battery life with my 5s as I was when I first got an iPhone (which was a 4). After having the 4 over three years, the battery life went from being two days' worth at brand new, to about a day and a half at three years old, which is fair given that batteries wear out over time. The 5s, on the other hand has been good a day and a half from brand new, and sometimes only one day, so one of two things has occurred: my hands-on time with my phone has increased a great deal, or my 5s is affected by a crummy battery, which is rumoured to be eligible for a swap-out on Apple's nickel.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”