iPhone 5, 5s, 6 lightning charge wire = crap

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
macology

Re: iPhone 5, 5s, 6 lightning charge wire = crap

Post by macology »

I have had my original Apple lightning cable since the iPhone came out. Never had any issue with it.

The key is to make sure you are not unplugging the cable by pulling on the cable itself. Make sure you are holding the cable right near the end.

This avoids stretching and breaking the cable. Also make sure that you are not using the cable with a severe bend right new there lighting end. This also will break the cable over time.
Empowering Apple Users http://macology.ca
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I forgot my travel charging adapter at home (go figure) so when I was at the airport the other day, I bought one of those no name brand adapters for 15 bucks. The thing is useless ... the wall charger cube doesn't work so I have to charge my phone through the USB on my MacBook but you have to plug it in three times for it to work and then it only charges about 10% then you have to unplug it, re-plug it in 3 times to get another 10% charge. I tried it one one of the Window's machines at work but same result, so its not an Apple issue ... its just a piece of poop! LOL
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The cats have gnawed on my lightning charger end (and the cable looks a wee bit denty), but it is still working well.

:/
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

I bought a lightning charger for work. It's not super essential and quite rare that I even get a low battery at work, but it's for emergency if I forget to charge at home for a couple days. So I didn't care to spend full price on a good one, but I didn't get the el cheapo either, settled for a 15-20 bucks one. As it turns out, at home it charges to full within an hour using the apple cable. This one at work is suuuuper slow, like if I use the phone while plugged in it can actually lose battery power. Maybe it's not the cable and it's due to the USB ports on the PC or something (versus the wall charger at home), but what a difference.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Wall, fast.
PC, slow.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

It would be the USB port on your computer. It will have a very low wattage output. Nothing to do with the cord.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

it is all about the amps.

Source Voltage Current Power
PC USB 5 volts 0.5 amps 2.5 Watts
iPhone Charger 5 volts 1.0 amps 5 Watts
iPad Charger 5.1 volts 2.1 amps 12 watts

its pretty linear when it comes to charge time. Usb charges a phone at 50% of the speed of a phone charger and 1/4 the speed of the ipad charge. I almost always try and charge my phone with my ipad charger as it takes half the time ! Car charges are often 2.1 amps. Using more amps does not hurt the device.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”