iPhone 5, 5s, 6 lightning charge wire = crap

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
ogopogodude
Fledgling

iPhone 5, 5s, 6 lightning charge wire = crap

Post by ogopogodude »

I buy a lightening charge wire/month. How many do you buy/month? (and you think that I am kidding). I really liked the old iPhone 4 connector. Why?.... because it just worked.

I like iPhones. I love macs/apple products. But I am seriously thinking of switching to an android or samsung just because of the horrible charge wire that is associated with an iPhone. I just cannot stand to have to wiggle the wire, or bend it a certain way for it to charge, or to set my phone in 'just the right position" so that the charging process can take place.
Last edited by ogopogodude on Oct 20th, 2014, 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonrox

Re: iphone 5,5s,6 lightening charge wire = crap

Post by Jonrox »

I'm still on the one that came with my device... I guess that's about a year with no problems.
ogopogodude
Fledgling

Post by ogopogodude »

Good for you. Give it time, ... then you will know what I am talking about. I have even gone on to yioutube to try to fix the nineteen of them that I have in my junk drawer. But one needs a degree in electronics to fix the end.

I have enough old lightening charge wires to make a noose.

And those after market charge cords that plug into the cigarette lighter in a car are just as bad.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe you are not handling them properly if you have so much trouble. (just a thought)
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Maybe its the phone? Dirty connection or something. they do get clogged up with lint and dirt and other crap from stuffing in pockets all the time.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Haven't had any issue with mine nor anyone I know who has one. I have one in the car, one at home and one for travelling - all work just fine. I agree with the post above, I'd have your phone checked
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Oct 21st, 2014, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Wotinell are ye doin wid em?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

who's Wotinell and why is he widening them?
I've had the original cable since release of the iPhone 5 - still working even without widening it ;)
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ogopogodude wrote:Good for you. Give it time, ... then you will know what I am talking about. I have even gone on to yioutube to try to fix the nineteen of them that I have in my junk drawer. But one needs a degree in electronics to fix the end.

I have enough old lightening charge wires to make a noose.

And those after market charge cords that plug into the cigarette lighter in a car are just as bad.

No offence but if you've had 19 all with the same issue - I'm really questioning if the charger is at fault
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: iPhone 5, 5s, 6 lightning charge wire = crap

Post by Bsuds »

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:http://www.jailbreakmodo.com/how-to-fix-iphone-lightning-cable-charging-problem.html

The comment by "F--- Apple" sounds strikingly familiar to something I've read in this thread - hmmmm ;)

Great link though - makes sense - good idea to do a quick clean once a month just like any other electronic device
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A quick shot with a can of air might help too.

ps do not shake the can first!
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

ogopogodude wrote:I buy a lightening charge wire/month. How many do you buy/month? (and you think that I am kidding). ... I just cannot stand to have to wiggle the wire, or bend it a certain way for it to charge, or to set my phone in 'just the right position" so that the charging process can take place.

Even if you were super careless and yanking the connector out by the wire every time, or rolling your computer chair over the charging cable, or folding up the cord regularly, you still would not go through them that quick.

So either your phone is messed up as others have suggested, or you're buying total junk - there very much is a difference between apple replacements and the crap you get from a dollar store, wal-mart, etc... There's a reason the apple cables or earbuds cost $30+ and it's not "because sheeple". My original cables and earbuds still work fine after years of use, while my daughter goes through dollar store specials at about the rate you described. Buy a proper cable and you'll be fine.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Scadam wrote:... My original cables and earbuds still work fine after years of use, while my daughter goes through dollar store specials at about the rate you described. Buy a proper cable and you'll be fine.

I would like to echo that sentiment!

Even my other headphones outlive hers because I buy higher cost/quality than she. I also notice that she falls back on borrowing my Apple earbuds (which seem to have survived longer than her cheapo-eapos) to hold her over until her next $10-$15 pair. I am not certain when she'll finally understand that she has spent about $100 on headphones in the last year when she could've bought one phenomenal set or two great sets.

You really, really, and I mean REALLY get what you pay for.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

after my cat chewed mine it doesn't work as good

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”