Anybody uses Shomi from Shaw Cable?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Anybody uses Shomi from Shaw Cable?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Shaw cable recently launched Shomi which is a Netflix-like streaming service. It comes at around the same price, but I'm more wondering if they have a good selection or not. Netflix has great titles that are only available to them.

Anybody signed up?

http://discover.shomi.com/

Globe and Mail review: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technolo ... e21453921/
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Anybody uses Shomi from Shaw Cable?

Post by GordonH »

Of course later this month Crave TV @ $4 per/ month http://info.cravetv.ca
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Oh, that sounds good too.

Choices, choices.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I've got it. Free for 3 months. After that I'll probably turf it. Not worth the 8.99 to me. I love Netflix! I also use the US & UK versions as well.

CRAVE is interesting. but not available to shaw customers.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Triple 6 wrote:I've got it. Free for 3 months. After that I'll probably turf it. Not worth the 8.99 to me. I love Netflix! I also use the US & UK versions as well.

CRAVE is interesting. but not available to shaw customers.

If you have Samsung Smart TV an app coming soon, so won't matter who's your provider.
Last edited by GordonH on Dec 5th, 2014, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Thanks for info GordonH!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
GIS_Dude

Post by GIS_Dude »

Subscribed to the three month thing too...just another version of Netflix but with less selection of mostly older content and most certainly not worth the $8 a month they want to charge for it after the trial. Just another attempt by Shaw to stem the bleeding from subscribers jumping off the convention cable tv model in favor of the many streaming options available out there in an attempt maintain their monopoly in my opinion. Interesting time we live in...a friend sent me this link that I think may have some potential...kind of illuminates the conventional cable tv business model for the joke that it is!

http://www.vancouverfta.com/MyGica-ATV1800e-XBMC.html?gclid=CNyzhanJqsICFe47MgodqWQABQ
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

GIS_Dude wrote:Subscribed to the three month thing too...just another version of Netflix but with less selection of mostly older content and most certainly not worth the $8 a month they want to charge for it after the trial. Just another attempt by Shaw to stem the bleeding from subscribers jumping off the convention cable tv model in favor of the many streaming options available out there in an attempt maintain their monopoly in my opinion. Interesting time we live in...a friend sent me this link that I think may have some potential...kind of illuminates the conventional cable tv business model for the joke that it is!

http://www.vancouverfta.com/MyGica-ATV1800e-XBMC.html?gclid=CNyzhanJqsICFe47MgodqWQABQ

What are you able to watch with that box? I doubt Shaw and Rogers will continue to only offer the service to their subscribers - should get opened up eventually (there's absolutely no reason not to). Personally I would never use a service like this but I say give it time. The HBO one is extremely interesting, probably only because I find HBO content doesn't suck, where most does.

Honestly can't believe what passes for primetime television these days.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Shaw allows 250 gigs a month when you combine phone internet and cable. Using Netflix we sometimes exceed that limit. Does the Shomi feature they've added count towards data used?
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

vinnied wrote:Shaw allows 250 gigs a month when you combine phone internet and cable. Using Netflix we sometimes exceed that limit. Does the Shomi feature they've added count towards data used?

I highly doubt it as that raises a question about net neutrality.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

vinnied wrote:Shaw allows 250 gigs a month when you combine phone internet and cable. Using Netflix we sometimes exceed that limit. Does the Shomi feature they've added count towards data used?

That's not true.

It depends on what plan you have.

I have phone internet and cable and my allowance was 125GB per month until I upgraded to Highspeed 25 last week so now it's 250GB and if a person goes to the Highspeed 50 it goes up to 400GB.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
GIS_Dude

Post by GIS_Dude »

StraitTalk wrote:What are you able to watch with that box? I doubt Shaw and Rogers will continue to only offer the service to their subscribers - should get opened up eventually (there's absolutely no reason not to). Personally I would never use a service like this but I say give it time. The HBO one is extremely interesting, probably only because I find HBO content doesn't suck, where most does.

Honestly can't believe what passes for primetime television these days.

Haven't had time to research it that much...they sell a basic version of this at Costco but you have to set up your own apps etc to access the content while this one is supposedly all setup and ready to roll out of the box. From what I understand, the available content is quite extensive from very recently released movies on down.

Shomi streaming does not go against your data plan if you are a shaw/rogers subscriber at this point.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
That's not true.

It depends on what plan you have.

I have phone internet and cable and my allowance was 125GB per month until I upgraded to Highspeed 25 last week so now it's 250GB and if a person goes to the Highspeed 50 it goes up to 400GB.

very well, I have the middle one I guess. regardless of what plan you have though, the original question still remains the same. Was just thinking, If using Shomi doesn't count towards your data used, and you often exceed your limit with Netflix, Shomi may be a good alternative.
I do see they offer a couple of titles that are not yet on the Canadian Netflix.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Okay, so I decided to sign up for the service. As a shaw subscriber for 3 months for free. If you are a shaw or Rogers cable subscriber and you stream it through your cable box there is no data counted toward your usage. However if you stream through another device such as Xbox, iPad, computer etc they count data used. You can also choose video quality to accumulate less data when using an alternate device.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

vinnied wrote:Okay, so I decided to sign up for the service. As a shaw subscriber for 3 months for free. If you are a shaw or Rogers cable subscriber and you stream it through your cable box there is no data counted toward your usage. However if you stream through another device such as Xbox, iPad, computer etc they count data used. You can also choose video quality to accumulate less data when using an alternate device.

Can you get it through their PVR?

If so where is it found?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”