The Pirate Bay Raided By Police, Site Down

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Re: The Pirate Bay Raided By Police, Site Down

Post by kumazatheef »

Fascinating ...
I'm guessing that graph got pulled from here: http://piracy.americanassembly.org/wp-c ... ulture.pdf

More great stats and info in there as well, definitely an informative read ... the stats for movies are quite different than music.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

kumazatheef wrote: I could always steal his jacket and say "well you already have another".

Im aware of the point youre attempting to make but not a good comparison. One is a licensed/digitally distributed product and the other is a manufactured good.

I think those that torrent would argue the revenues generated and justified by a company that has a hard cost to produce a material product are maybe seen as "more in-line" than those of a similar company that carries a one time cost to produce and then charges additional fees under the guise of licensing.
Some would argue these companies charge too much purely to issue licencing to use with a product that has already been developed.

That said, i do torrent but also pay what i think is a fair price for software and other digital media i feel is worth it. I dont think we'll ever be rid of piracy but i think we'd see less if these industries werent so greedy (IMO).

In the software world, especially antimalware, its amazing the lengths developers go to, to stop the devaluing of their software though public perception of licenced digital/software products.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

monroe wrote:That said, i do torrent but also pay what i think is a fair price for software and other digital media i feel is worth it. I dont think we'll ever be rid of piracy but i think we'd see less if these industries werent so greedy (IMO).

Yes, and greed is relative though, and the unknown cost of development is not revealed to the public.
Looking https://www.google.ca/search?client=saf ... +suite+cs5 Adobe Creative CS5 as an average $500 depending which version, etc.
That doesn't mean it cost $500 to produce though, despite it just being "stamp another one out" when it comes to copying. No doubt it costs way more than that.
Same as for music + movies ... a musician spends a lot of time/effort to produce their album ... sure they can do "copy-paste" on the finish product but they can't do that for their time.
Now there are a lot of ways devs/musicians are meeting their audience where they're at, but case studies still haven't given it a stamp of approval ... i wish I could find the report staying how little musicians were paid for something like Spotify, Pandora or 8Tracks, or the like.

Just because it's easy for me to copy, doesn't mean it was easy for the developer/musician to produce.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

kumazatheef wrote:
Yes, and greed is relative though

Agreed. It is that point that will keep this debate going for a long time.

I dont believe in just taking but i also dont believe in gouging, which we can see the sports and music industry have done for years. It goes on long enough and certain pricing practices become "generally accepted".
... i know - dont agree/cant afford, dont buy. Unfortunately we as consumers lack the cohesiveness to come togther to protest, so the next best thing is what you see developing in the "file sharing" community.

I think it is only when we see the industry starting to losen up it's grip on revenues and distribution that we can see some positive result coming in thanks to the online backlash via p2p, torrenting etc.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Is it still down? Tried to download some South Park.

So much for "most resilient" site.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

I believe its up under one domain name or another. eztv is another spot to find tv episodes.

New South Park tomorrow!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

They change domain names regularly as they're raided.

It's been a while, but last time I visited they were using the Caribbean name/location. .cr They could call themselves "The Pirates of the Caribbean"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

TylerM4 wrote:They change domain names regularly as they're raided.

It's been a while, but last time I visited they were using the Caribbean name/location. .cr They could call themselves "The Pirates of the Caribbean"

lol @ "The Pirates of the Caribbean"

I can't remember the exact date they did this, but it was a while ago - TPB uploaded a torrent to their own site which contained all the code etc. needed for anyone to put the site back up, provided you have the hardware to do it. IIRC it got over a million snatches/seeds. And that's why people can keep putting the site back up in whatever domain/physical location. Self replication, yo! Smart move. There's also TheOpenBay. I don't know if all that stuff is still going along now - I'm not involved in the scene any more (but I know a few people who started/coded these things) - but that and other initiatives show how such schemes are all but impossible to eradicate.
Your bias suits you.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

well just checked and its 551 and its up and running......just waiting for "Halt And Catch Fire" to come on...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i want to rebutt what the poster said about royalties . first off ,yes in the beggining the streaming apps were cheap but you have to remember spotify for a example gives mainstream exposure to groups that would never have gotten any exposure .

but things have changed , and now this is second year in a row for growth in music industry ,and again as example since its one i use spotify has slimmed down the free version to the point of forcing you to pay a also higher subscription .

as for software bill gates retired with 50 billion . enough said
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You can dress it up all you like, but it is still stealing. You are taking, without permission of the owner, something produced with the intent of generating revenue. I've done it myself, really who hasn't, but I don't fool myself for a second that it is anything but theft.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

It's stealing, eh? I wonder of there's ever been a debate about that on the internet before. lol
Your bias suits you.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

fluffy wrote:You can dress it up all you like, but it is still stealing.......

Umm, actually it's not. It's copyright infringement. Which is VERY different from stealing other than it's also against the law.

Do you understand the reason the 2 are so different? Always makes me wonder when people make a statement like above.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

TylerM4 wrote:Do you understand the reason the 2 are so different?

I guess not. I always looked at helping yourself to something that doesn't belong to you without consent of the owner as close enough to stealing to warrant the use of that term. Feel free to educate me on why copyright infringement is so different.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

fluffy wrote:I guess not. I always looked at helping yourself to something that doesn't belong to you without consent of the owner as close enough to stealing to warrant the use of that term. Feel free to educate me on why copyright infringement is so different.

It's simple really. Stealing is about physical property. When you steal something, the rightful owner no longer has it. You've actually taken something from the owner leaving the owner without. Copyright infringement doesn't take the property away from the owner, nor does it prevent the owner from profiting from selling to others tho certainly does prevent/lower total sales.

Please don't mistate my comments for me supporting copyright infringement. I don't.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”