Buying a Laptop

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Buying a Laptop

Post by Dizzy1 »

You don't need to "know" people to get a deal. Its not difficult to get good prices on good products - especially used - you just need to do lots of looking around.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Dizzy1 wrote:You don't need to "know" people to get a deal. Its not difficult to get good prices on good products - especially used - you just need to do lots of looking around.

Quite true.

Many of the best deals I've gotten on PC hardware were the result of purchasing from deep pocketed geeks, who always have to have the latest and greatest first, consequently they often unload high end items that are still current for half the going price.

I know I got my hands on a few i7-950 CPU's that had been used for maybe four or five months then unloaded when the owner obtained 6 core Gulftowns. I don't care that they were used a bit before I got them when that meant paying less than half the retail cost.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

rekabis wrote:That’s an oxymoron. If the high quality is there, the high price should be there as well. If it’s cheap, then the quality (or its relevance/capability in current usage trends) is seriously lacking.

Just because you're not aware of it, doesn't mean it's not possible. I bought a MacBook Pro for $150, but I usually go for cheaper Intel laptops. I can get them at tech auctions much cheaper, use them for a couple of years, and then sell them on Castanet for roughly the same amount.

Same with all the other electronics. I paid $40 for my laser printer at auction - it was cheaper than replacing the ink drum ($150).

http://www.ableauctions.ca/flyer/?Event ... 007083BD51

Granted, you need to know what you're looking for and be able to spot something worth buying.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”