Kelowna internet providers NOT Shaw or Telus

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
kandit

Kelowna internet providers NOT Shaw or Telus

Post by kandit »

With Telus about to charge for overages on their internet plans, my options are to upgrade my Telus plan or go with Shaw but they are both over $80 for the 400GB I need. Are there any alternatives to the big two that offer 400GB or more for a better price?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Internet Providers in Kelowna Other Than Shaw and Telus

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

techsavy

http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/inte ... -25---bc-2

Capture.JPG

they only offer high speed dsl though

unlimited for $54.99 isnt too bad... but unlimited means usage between 2 and 8 am LOL
kandit

Post by kandit »

So the two of you are with Teksavvy? Happy with the service?
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

no, i am with shaw

i just know about techsavy is all... i have heard good things about their service though
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Kelowa internet providers NOT Shaw or Telus

Post by GordonH »

^^^ only difference I'm with Telus
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

I called Teksavvy.

They didn't know where Kelowna was. Put me on hold twice to see if there was even service here.

I had to pay for a ghost phone line, set up fee, modem rental ect.

First bill was going to be over 400 dollars, and my regular monthly bills were going to be identical to Shaw with the rental and phone line fee. I told them to get their act together as the sales agent and I both laughed at how ridiculous the "easy switch" was.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
kandit

Post by kandit »

Atomoa, how long ago did you try? Maybe they've gotten their act together by now?
hotshoerob

Post by hotshoerob »

I've been using Uniserve for years. I had the local Silk Internet when I got my first computer back in the dial up days ( 15 years ago) which was bought out by Uniserve.
They use Telus' lines. Very few problems over the years and I have always had great customer support. Have my long distance with them too.
uniserve.com
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

kandit wrote:Atomoa, how long ago did you try? Maybe they've gotten their act together by now?

About a month ago.

- Buckminster Fuller
DANSPEED
Übergod

Re: Kelowna internet providers NOT Shaw or Telus

Post by DANSPEED »

Canadian ISP lists all ISP's in Canada by area and type of connection including prices.

Is Primus any good?

Last year Telus increased me to $45/m for lite speed (aka CRAP!) and that was bundled with the phone! I called them and said I can get ADSL high speed from a local provider for $30/m. The rep said he couldn't understand why I'd want to switch to a smaller company with limited support but said he could match that price for a year. My year isn't over and Telus already increased it to $33/m!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

DANSPEED wrote:Canadian ISP lists all ISP's in Canada by area and type of connection including prices.

Not sure how much credibility I'd give that list since Telus and Shaw didn't even come up after a search.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Not sure how much credibility I'd give that list since Telus and Shaw didn't even come up after a search.

I noticed that too! Maybe Telus and Shaw don't want to be listed or maybe ISP's pay to be listed.

TekSavvy wants $75 for activation fee!
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

DANSPEED wrote:TekSavvy wants $75 for activation fee!

I thought they just had a grudge against me personally.

They should spend more resources giving cheap reliable internet and impressing customers instead of publishing a "cool" website and wallet raping them from day 1.

- Buckminster Fuller
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

DANSPEED wrote:TekSavvy wants $75 for activation fee!

Atomoa wrote:I thought they just had a grudge against me personally.

They should spend more resources giving cheap reliable internet and impressing customers instead of publishing a "cool" website and wallet raping them from day 1.

The activation fee is because they don’t actually run their own lines outside of a few very specific areas, they depend on other companies to run lines for them. This fee is what these other companies charge to make changes for TekSavvy.

Take ADSL in Kelowna, for example. All phone lines in Kelowna are those of Telus, except for some very specific business sections in town. In order to do anything on these lines, you have to either deal with Telus, or work with a company that deals with Telus. Telus will not do the work of configuring a line to accept ADSL for free, it’s going to charge. And since it owns the lines, it’s not going to let anyone else touch those lines. It will do the work itself.

For a company like TekSavvy to run its own lines would require many hundreds of millions of dollars in investment to do so (per city!), to hire the trucks and crews to put the poles into the ground and string the telephone wire from house to house. Telus has an advantage because it (and companies like it) have been doing this since the 1920s -- it has massive infrastructure already in place doing what it needs to do with telephone calls alone. It’s a tiny extra effort to make ADSL work on top of that infrastructure.

So TekSavvy biggybacks on Telus’ infrastructure, providing service in many more areas than it normally would be able to do so, for a nominal extra cost. They have signed an agreement with Telus, so Telus goes in and sets things up for TekSavvy so TekSavvy can sell Internet to people in a region where they would normally not be able to do so.

And that’s why there is that $75 setup fee.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”