Telus Fiber Optic Network

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Telus Fiber Optic Network

Post by vinnied »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#134769
"You don't have to be a Telus customer to have a connection to your home or business, and there isn't any obligation to purchase Telus services once the building is completed," said Geheran.

Im interested to know exactly how this going to work. How does Telus intend to reclaim the costs of this project?
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Telus Fiber Optic Network

Post by Hassel99 »

Already obsolete!

5G researchers manage record 1Tbps wireless connection speed

Record-breaking speeds have been achieved during tests of 5G data connections, scientists have said.

Researchers at the University of Surrey's 5G Innovation Centre (5GIC) managed one terabit per second (Tbps) - many thousands of times faster than current data connections.

At 1Tbps, it would be theoretically possible to download a file 100 times the size of a feature film in about three seconds. The speed is more than 65,000 times faster than average 4G download speeds.

It is also far in excess of the previous best achieved in tests: Samsung's 7.5 gigabits per second (Gbps), which is less than 1% of the Surrey team's speed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31622297
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Hassel99 wrote:Already obsolete!

Achieving something experimental in ideal conditions doesn't mean making entire existing network obsolete, lol.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

vinnied wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-134769-101-.htm#134769
"You don't have to be a Telus customer to have a connection to your home or business, and there isn't any obligation to purchase Telus services once the building is completed," said Geheran.

Im interested to know exactly how this going to work. How does Telus intend to reclaim the costs of this project?

They hope you'll switch services to them. Basically what this is saying is "we're installing wires to your house, whether or not you want them, need them, or will ever even use them"
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Omnitheo wrote:They hope you'll switch services to them. Basically what this is saying is "we're installing wires to your house, whether or not you want them, need them, or will ever even use them"

Pretty much. It's half marketing genius, half investment. I can't speak for everywhere, but knowing the providers locally, it doesn't matter what they've got running from the street to your home at this point, everyone is so behind on infrastructure that they're limited to providing you with speeds much slower than fibre can provide. Either way, they've got to do it sometime and the more homes connected to fibre the easier and cheaper it will be down the road.

Traditional coax and even twisted pair is capable of extremely fast connections (we're talking gigabit) over short distances (like between a pedestal and your home), so realistically it's a gimmick for you and an investment for them.
Eyeswideopen
Board Meister

Post by Eyeswideopen »

My area was switched to green on the fibre map recently.
https://fibre.telus.com/kelowna

Supposedly means my area is fibre ready. However I have phoned numerous times and everyone I have managed to get a hold of says I can't get it try back later.

Can never get a straight answer what is going on because no indivudual there seems to know much. From what I can gather the area is lit up on the street but the people coming around connecting buildings hasn't happened yet.

If anyone knows how it's supposed to work or maybe if you know what the secret handshake is to get a crew out to connect me please let me know.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Eyeswideopen wrote:My area was switched to green on the fibre map recently.
https://fibre.telus.com/kelowna

Supposedly means my area is fibre ready. However I have phoned numerous times and everyone I have managed to get a hold of says I can't get it try back later.

Can never get a straight answer what is going on because no indivudual there seems to know much. From what I can gather the area is lit up on the street but the people coming around connecting buildings hasn't happened yet.

If anyone knows how it's supposed to work or maybe if you know what the secret handshake is to get a crew out to connect me please let me know.

I had this problem recently too. Call them, let them know their website states you can get ftth - if they say no then tell them to fix their website and write you a letter when they've either done that or are ready to offer you service. I don't know what it is but customer service is getting worse it seems, no matter how nice you are. In my case the representative just didn't know and wasn't interested in finding out.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

"Cable is perfectly fine, you don't need fibre optic."

That's exactly what my granny said about dial-up 15 years ago.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Coax hasn't even come close to reaching it's full data potential yet. It's not the wires themselves that are limiting the connection from your isp to your house (well unless your isp is using twisted pair).
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Fibre is 300 bucks a month. No thanks, I manage just fine with coax.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

Fibre is 300 bucks a month.

Source? I've never seen pricing like that.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

HP wrote:Source? I've never seen pricing like that.

Telus. We asked for a direct fibre line into our building, and that's what they told us they would charge.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

This was for a business service of some sort?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

HP wrote:This was for a business service of some sort?

Yes.
- Douglas Murray
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

Glacier wrote:Telus. We asked for a direct fibre line into our building, and that's what they told us they would charge.

For what kind of speed? Any bandwidth limitations?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”