Windows 10

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Windows 10

Post by Logitack »

"Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows," says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. "We believe customers over time will realize the value of properly licensing Windows and we will make it easy for them to move to legitimate copies."
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/18/82410 ... re-pirates

lol, nice marketing spin M$. they are finally not going to charge for the OS, at least for a year or two, but they are providing software pirates with some legitimacy now? LOL
Last edited by Logitack on Aug 14th, 2015, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Re: Windows 10 will be free for software pirates

Post by Danielson99 »

Logitack wrote:lol, nice marketing spin M$. they are finally not going to charge for the OS, at least for a year or two, but they are providing software pirates with some legitimacy now? LOL

You still must have paid for a previous version of Windows or have a pirated version so it's not exactly free many people. It wouldn't matter if they offer it free for software pirates or not, they will get any copy of Windows that comes out. This way they might end up converting pirate users into paying customers down the road. Software pirates do not care about legitimacy so I don't see that as something MS is offering them at all.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

haha yep, Danielson. Software is free for software pirates, regardless.
Your bias suits you.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Windows is kinda pain in the *bleep* to obtain. Too many versions, and not all of them work well. It's not like downloading a movie.

I wonder if some features will be disabled for free versions.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

As we've previously reported, Microsoft is making Windows 10 available to its five million beta testers first on July 29. Afterwards, there will be a staggered rollout for everyone else. That also means Windows 10 won't be available for new computers sold on July 29, Bloomberg reports. Instead, you can either upgrade your new computer inside a store (we've love to see how smoothly that process goes), or get bumped ahead in the Windows 10 download queue if you want to upgrade later.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/13/windows-10-launch/

i guess i should have been on of the 5 million beta testers so I could be first in line to get windows 10 ;)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i wasn't a beta tester and they say im getting it july 29
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Windows 10

Post by Logitack »

Microsoft will force Windows 10 Home users to download and install updates to its operating system without any options to turn them off. A final version of the OS, distributed to testers this week, contains a clause in the end user license agreement (EULA) that reveals Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." The changes have left some Windows users concerned.

By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s only one other option: download, install, and choose when to reboot. This is a big change from Windows 8.1’s four options that included automatic reboots, choose when to reboot, choose when to download and install, and never check for updates.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/17/89875 ... ic-updates
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The only con I see to that is for those who know what they're doing. For everyone else it's probably a good thing.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

lol well that's pretty dumb. More reason for me to stay away.
Your bias suits you.
Gerafix

Post by Gerafix »

The forced updates is literally nothing, at least compared to the motherload of backdoor spyware Microsoft is giving away for free with every version of Windows 10.
The amount of personal information they're going to be gathering will make Mark Zuckerberg jealous.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Going to be gathering?

You're daft if you think it hasn't already been going on.

Same with apple.

Using an os other than a few linux variants means you have little to no privacy unless you know how to set things up.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

This is from infoworld.com, sounds like they are gathering more info than ever before after this update is installed. Maybe I'm wrong but I do not trust Microsoft. I am going to do more research but right now that update is on my machine and I will see if my machine runs it. I'm not part of the CEIP.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/291160 ... oping.html

Most important part of article/blog.

"Following Anderson's hunch, I installed KB 2952664 on a fresh Windows 7 SP1 x64 PC. I was disturbed to find that it adds a program to the Windows Task Scheduler called DoScheduledTelemetryRun. That entry didn't exist before I installed KB 2952664.

You can see it on your PC by bringing up Task Scheduler (type task scheduler in the find box), then on the left move down to Task Scheduler Library/ Microsoft/ Windows/ Application Experience. There you'll find the Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser task, set to run at 3:00 a.m. every day.

The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser task runs %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe appraiser.dll,DoScheduledTelemetryRun with the description "Collects program telemetry information if opted-in to the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program."

I found that the program runs whether or not you've opted into the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). And even if you opt out, the program still runs.

Can somebody tell me why Microsoft is performing a telemetry run on PCs that have opted out of the CEIP? This results from an "important" update in the Automatic Update chute, for heaven's sake."
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

That's one of the stoopid updates to stay away from, esp. if you aren't interested in Win 10.

KB3035583
KB2952664
KB2976978
KB3021917
KB3044374
KB2990214
KB3022345

You can check if those are installed via Control Panel > Programs and Features, or by the command line

Code: Select all

get-hotfix -id KB3035583,KB2952664,KB2976978,KB3021917,KB3044374,KB2990214,KB3022345

in powershell. (some updates don't always show up in Prog. & Feat.)
Your bias suits you.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

thanks for that info

i deleted KB2952664 from my system..
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Here's more info + details for successful removal:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/367377-how-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-windows-7-8-a.html?s=4f9a0dd4033531c8e7adb7aff68936c1

Note that MS has been "refreshing" some of these updates (KB2952664 has shown up for me a few times) so that it keeps coming back - even if the user marks it as "hidden".
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”