Windows 10

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Windows 10

Post by kgcayenne »

Good. Humour was the objective.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

kgcayenne wrote:Good. Humour was the objective.

did you get windows 10 installed?

I updated my windows 7 desktop to windows 10 without a hitch.

had windows 10 download and install the setup onto the usb drive, then ran the setup from within windows 7, windows 10 was installed. (it also retains the windows 7 set up in the folder called "old windows"
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

That *bleep*... 4th attempt.
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I had that happen repeatedly too, and in the end, the only thing that worked was, I backing up my important data elsewhere, then I did a clean install of Win 7 just long enough to get it activated after which I then installed Win 10 without a hitch.

In my case it didn't like the amount of available space I had on my Sold State Hard Drive, so it would go to about the mid 80% range of the install, then abort and revert back to Win 7.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Why bother.
Your bias suits you.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

cuz it is there, available and looks and feels like windows 7? ;)
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Woodenhead wrote:Why bother.

Because it's only free for a given amount of time.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Grrrrrrr
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

as lonewolf indicated, it may be your C drive isnt large enough to install windows 10? how much free space is on the C drive?
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Logitack wrote:cuz it is there, available and looks and feels like windows 7? ;)

It's kinda shiny, I guess.
Your bias suits you.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

Error code 0x80070005 is also known as "ACCESS DENIED." It usually occurs when you lack file or registry permissions that are required to install the update. (Because file or registry permissions may be changed by malware, we recommend that you scan for malware after you repair the permissions.)

To resolve the issue, make sure that you are logged on as an administrator, and then install the updates again. If the problem continues, use the SubInACL tool to repair file and registry permissions. To do this, follow these steps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/968003
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

another link that claims to fix the problem

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... c19?auth=1
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I just ran the script using the tool, we shall see how far it gets this time. I've got 207 GB free disk space, a 2.1 GHz processor and 3 GB RAM, so spec-wise, it's alright, I guess.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

207GB free Disk space is more than sufficient.

For what it's worth though, I spent so much time and effort in attempting to make the upgrade work, that in the end it was way quicker and more efficient to just store my stuff elsewhere and start over clean.

I frittered away a day and a half trying to fix what was wrong, having what one can best only describe as cryptic messages as the only hint to what it doesn't like, running various tools and trying various tips, simply to be defeated time after time at the same point, in the end finding myself taking about two hours to do it clean and with better results.

I say better results, because I did three computers, and the one where the upgrade did take, just wound up having goofy quirks that went away after doing a clean install on it too.

In short I don't view Win 10 as a good choice for an upgrade. Mind you if one doesn't have a copy of the qualifying operating system, or appropriate recovery method, then upgrading would be the only option short of flat out going and buying a copy of Windows 10.

I did the math and it was cheaper for me to go purchase Win 7 pro for around $100 and install it, then activate it, after which I upgraded to Win 10 and after I saw it showing as activated, I started all over and did a clean install using just the Win 10 Disc. It's a bit of a sneaky process because Win 10 does ask you for a key, but in small letters toward the bottom it also gives you the option to skip that step, which I chose to be able to go on, then somewhere down the line I again got asked for a key, I pressed skip again, then when the installation completes I go into "System" and check and Windows 10 shows as activated.

I'm guessing that latter part is going to catch some people of guard and prompt them to go buy something they don't need.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It all sounds like the biggest pain in the *bleep*, so if installing it from a DVD is unsuccessful this time I think I'm just going to say forget it and go and buy a new laptop.

Edited to add: the main reason I want to update to Win10 is because I have heard that it is faster and runs smoother than Win7 does. I use Lightroom 5 to edit RAW photographs and unfortunately, Windows 7/this laptop runs it so slow, that I want to pull my hair out sometimes. I plan on upgrading my camera in the next couple of years, and the file sizes will double.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”