Playing music through old stereo!

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
soontoberetired
Fledgling

Playing music through old stereo!

Post by soontoberetired »

I have an old receiver and speakers. Up until now I have been using Apple Airport Express (Wifi) to play music from my laptop, iPad, and iPhone on my old system. All of my cds are on my laptop hard drive. Recently I upgraded my internet and received a new router/modem from Shaw. This model of router/modem is not compatible with Airport Express. Neither my old system nor my laptop have Bluetooth. How can I now play music through my old system without it costing me an arm and leg. Sure I can upgrade to Bluetooth speaker(s) but my laptop does not have Bluetooth technology. I have looked at devices to enable Bluetooth on my laptop and old system. I wonder about the quality of the sound due to distance and interference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If you cannot stay young, stay immature!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Playing music through old stereo!

Post by GordonH »

Instead of going the WiFi route, check how big your itunes file is buy iPod of equal or larger capacity size. Ebay sales them reasonable prices.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

The easiest thing to do would be keep using the same old router along with your new one. Disable everything except wifi on your old router so you can keep using it as your music hub.

You can also use other devices like a PS3 to store all your music and play through your stereo.
soontoberetired
Fledgling

How is that accomplished? Is it even possible and how likely is it to work?
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

soontoberetired wrote:How is that accomplished? Is it even possible and how likely is it to work?

to which recommendation?
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

TECHNICAL SUMMARY

First Router (the new router)
    DHCP to use the range 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.254
    A wireless channel like 11

Second Router (the old router)
    DHCP is disabled
    Identical wireless security setup as First Router
    Except the wireless Channel. Try channel 6 if the first is 11.
    Plug hard-wire into the LAN port, not the WAN port.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Configuri ... aming.aspx

now use the same procedure you used before to play your music using the airport express via the 2nd router.
soontoberetired
Fledgling

Huh?! Thanks for the information. I will try my best! I am not very tech savvy.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

btw, what makes you think,

This model of router/modem is not compatible with Airport Express.
soontoberetired
Fledgling

I contacted Shaw to see if they could help. I had never had problems connecting to my Apple Airport Express. I was told that the only thing would be to disable the router on the new modem/router. The tech said that you will always have issues when you are dealing with two routers. He said the express is basically a router. I cannot connect my iPad to the express either. The button on the express glows amber. I have reset it a couple of times....no success.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

call shaw and have the tech disable the router part of the shaw modem/router and then connect the airport express to the modem portion.

or go into the shaw modem/router and do it yourself ;)
soontoberetired
Fledgling

Shaw said that this new router/modem was needed to handle in increased speed of my internet connection. If I disable the router and go back to my old one, don't I run the risk of losing what I have gained in speed ...
soontoberetired
Fledgling

Sorry....but it seems like I am hooped.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

To put the SMCD3GN into bridge mode, log into the device with your user name and password:

(I believe the url is 192.168.0.1 if not then 192.168.1.1)

(default user name and password may be)
Username: XXXX ( i think the username, if you havent changed it is "admin")
Password: XXXX (i think the password, is "password" or just leave it blank and press return to see if you connect)

Then disable Wi-Fi (make sure you're doing this from a wired computer) and then tick the box on the main screen that says "Disable All Commercial Gateway Functions". The device will reboot. When it reboots, the Wi-Fi LED should not be on. Your internet won't be working anymore.

The device is now a modem only. Disconnect the ethernet cable from your computer and connect it to one of the slots on your router so that there is a cable going from the SMC into your router. Connect another ethernet cable from your router to your computer. You should now have a wired connection going through both the SMC and your new router. Go to command prompt and type in ipconfig. Use the default gateway to login to your new router.

IMPORTANT: The user and password details could be different from the SMC! If you haven't changed the login information of the router, look up the defaults online.

You will not be able to login to your SMC anymore. To reset the SMC to how it was before, hold the reset button on the back for 30 seconds.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/ ... 97189.html
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

We had Shaw disable the router on the new modem so that we could use our AirPort Extreme and there was no difference at all to the Internet speed. imo, the new router/modem combos Shaw is using are crap.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”