Watch for that 'Once in a Blue Moon'

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Watch for that 'Once in a Blue Moon'

Post by oneh2obabe »

Friday, July 31 will see a rarity in our night skies - the first "blue moon" since 2012, and the last one until 2018. But what is a blue moon and why are they so rare?

Look up on Friday night and, provided that you have reasonably clear skies, you'll see a fairly average full moon crossing the sky. It might look a little bit bigger than normal for anyone who happens to be keeping close track, but it won't be at closest approach (perigee) or farthest approach (apogee). It won't even be blue (at least not any more blue than it normally looks). However, it will still be a rare occurrence - enough to invoke the phrase "once in a blue moon."

Balance of article w/video and pictures
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... 9525286907
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Watch for that 'Once in a Blue Moon'

Post by JLives »

Oh great. We walked by the Lucky Charms today and my son said "We're not buying that today, it's not a blue moon."
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Watch for that 'Once in a Blue Moon'

Post by Woodenhead »

I had one helluva view of the blue moon. I took the following pictures (sorry about quality, didn't have a tripod and had to snap 'em quick) from Gwillim Lakes in Valhalla Provincial Park. The mountain which the moon silhouettes is Asgard Peak.

Blue-Moon-1.jpg

Blue-Moon-2.jpg

Blue-Moon-3.jpg

The pictures don't even come remotely close to what it was like being there, unfortunately for you guys. ;)
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”