External Hard drive problem: Seagate

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: External Hard drive problem: Seagate

Post by GordonH »

I tend to stay away from Seagate myself, I have few WD and 1 Adata. No issues with either
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
neroas
Fledgling

Post by neroas »

Hi Queen K,

It may be possible to pull the drive out of the enclosure and then hook it up in another enclosure. But I'm not sure if you want to try tackling that yourselves.

If your comfortable, I'd say give that a shot. Inside is just a normal hard drive nothing special. Alternatively if you have a more tech savvy friend, it's really easy. The more advanced recovery is if that doesn't work. :)
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

When all else fails, stick it in the freezer for an hour.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

SeaTools is free, and very useful. Even if it won't fix it, it should tell you exactly what the problem is. (still could just be the enclosure, though)

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/do ... /seatools/

Freezer trick tends to ruin drives - only attempt if all else fails.

Seagates are about the same as any other manufacturer. Failure rates fluctuate from year to year. (that graph posted earlier is from an enterprise environment and relates to 1 bad batch/firmware run, but gets regurgitated everywhere anyway) Point being that no matter what you use, you should always use a backup as well. Always!
Your bias suits you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thanks Woodenhead and everyone who is being helpful.

My threads are rarely just for me, I wonder if a lot of people go through issues like mine and who this helps now or in the future, no one knows.

I am sending Seagate on a trip to Kamloops tomorrow so that my techie friend can take a look at it.

Here's hoping.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Sometimes there are certain models that are lemons just like cars. All that graph tells me is to stay away from Seagate 3T hard drives.

I've been using Seagate for years with no issues, in fact it was Western Digital issues that prompted me to switch to Seagate in the first place.

Seagate also acquired Samsungs hard drive division so maybe that marriage was somehow to blame for the 3T glitch.

It would also be far more revealing if we knew how many of each manufacturers hard drives were sold world wide, and then assign a failure rate to it as opposed to using just one companies experiences. The story even hints that it might be the type of installation to blame, due to too much vibration.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
neroas
Fledgling

Post by neroas »

Queen K wrote:I wonder if a lot of people go through issues like mine and who this helps now or in the future, no one knows.
Here's hoping.

It happens quite a bit, my recommendation to everyone is to always keep photos and important data in more than one place.
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

Every drive manufacturer has their ups and downs. Unfortunately, Seagate tends to be in the "backside exposed to the wind" position right now, especially with their 3TB drives. Western Digital and (AFAIK) HGST are the ones to watch. I have a friend that swears by WD REDs for his NAS units. But I wouldn't touch a Seagate right now unless I had nothing else to work with. The sysadmin here at work just managed to get a $10k budget available to replace all the Seagates in stock. I don't think we ever went a week this year without at least one ZFS pool being resilvered. And some of those can take the better part of a month...

From what I understand, the freezer method only works as an absolute last resort. Baking can work too, but only if the thing doesn't even spin up (heat softens the lubricant inside).
I am insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”