New Shaw Modem

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

New Shaw Modem

Post by just popping in »

Received a new modem in mail today, installed, internet works but not on my router. Do I need to re-do something to router to recognize new modem?
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Re: New Shaw Modem

Post by Logitack »

disable router from handing out IPs, let the modem do that.

better option, is just use the modem, it will do all the work of your router anyway...unless you require your router for a special reason.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

I am not computer savy at all.... router is for wireless on 2 laptops.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Pretty well all new modems from Shaw or Telus have WiFi included.

Just setup name & password (harder the better, passwod that is)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

just popping in wrote:I am not computer savy at all.... router is for wireless on 2 laptops.

call shaw to get them to set it up for you...

otherwise, disconnect your router from the system, let the shaw cable modem/router (most likely it is both) will allow you to hard wire computers to the internet, or use wifi to connect.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

The new routers are not bridgeable, so if you had the old one bridged that set-up will now fail. You can either use the new Wi-Fi signal from the new router or hard wire from the new router to your own router which will still allow the same Wi-Fi signal you were used to.

Hope that made sense to you, because I didn't really understand what I just said... so yeah...
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
O'Neill

Post by O'Neill »

Actually it depends on what internet package you have for the top end of Shaw's modems. If you have the BB 120 you can bridge the Hitron and the New Cisco. If you have BB 60 you cannot. If you have any of the older internet packages like BB 250 BB 100 BB 50, you cannot bridge these modems. It is hard coded into the control system.

As for getting a new modem in the mail. First off post what model it is. Shaw has had 4 new modems in the past year. One of them was pulled, the other 3 all have different capability. So if you want the correct information you have to tell us what the modem model is.
Otherwise go over to https://community.shaw.ca lots of information there.
WarrenH

Post by WarrenH »

Each device you add to your network needs to do work. and work equals time and delay. even if you setup the equipment to be as efficient as possible, it still creates a delay. You said you were using this to get wireless to two laptops. Unless your house is really big and you bought a big wireless router to pump up the wireless output, just take it out of the network. the new routers from Shaw are a one step wireless unit, so just use that.

If your house is big and your wireless is far from the laptops that's a bigger issue.
Warren H
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

O'Neill wrote:Actually it depends on what internet package you have for the top end of Shaw's modems. If you have the BB 120 you can bridge the Hitron and the New Cisco. If you have BB 60 you cannot. If you have any of the older internet packages like BB 250 BB 100 BB 50, you cannot bridge these modems. It is hard coded into the control system.

As for getting a new modem in the mail. First off post what model it is. Shaw has had 4 new modems in the past year. One of them was pulled, the other 3 all have different capability. So if you want the correct information you have to tell us what the modem model is.
Otherwise go over to https://community.shaw.ca lots of information there.

I don't think you are quite correct. I have what they called High Speed 25, and I got a new Cisco modem the other day, which I had Shaw put in bridged mode without any issue.

I had the modem mailed to me and it is a Cisco DPC 3825. My own router, a Cisco EA3500 has far more features than the Shaw device, so it made no sense for me to disable it, and go with the Shaw unit.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

SMC D3GN Wireless Modem
SMC 8014WN Wireless Modem
Arris SBG6782 Advanced WiFi Modem
Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Modem
Hitron CGNM-2250 Advanced WiFi Modem

i am guessing that the hitron modem is the latest piece of equipment for internet use. Is it better than the other modems? I have the SMC D3GN modem. Will there be a performance different between the smc and hitron?
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

just popping in wrote:Received a new modem in mail today, installed, internet works but not on my router. Do I need to re-do something to router to recognize new modem?

Yes, you need to switch to Telus :)
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

atenbacon wrote:The new routers are not bridgeable, so if you had the old one bridged that set-up will now fail.

That would be incorrect.

They can be bridged, you just have to call Shaw and have their techs do it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Logitack wrote:i am guessing that the hitron modem is the latest piece of equipment for internet use. Is it better than the other modems? I have the SMC D3GN modem. Will there be a performance different between the smc and hitron?

You should get the speed you are paying for with any of the modems. The only reason I upgraded my old Motorola was because it took quite a beating with numerous power outages last year, and didn't seem to work as good as it once did, especially when it comes to recovering from a power outage.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

LoneWolf_53 wrote: That would be incorrect.

They can be bridged, you just have to call Shaw and have their techs do it.

Yeah, didn't think what I typed would make any sense. Thanks for clearing that up.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

These new fangled modems act as both modem and router. So essentially you end up having your router behind another router. Which plays hell with your internet connection.

Tell Shaw to stick it in bridged mode. Bonus is that this turns off the modem’s WiFi (along with the router bits), which means Shaw can’t use it for one of their “Shaw Mobile” access points. You won’t have people (who are also Shaw customers) leeching off of your connection. No, you won’t be charged for that usage anyhow, but it’s annoying to see your bandwidth being siphoned off when you actually need all of it.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”