Wifi hardware opinions

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
pmaria
Fledgling

Wifi hardware opinions

Post by pmaria »

I have experience with installing and maintaining enterprise wifi hardware (Aerohive, Aruba, Sonicwall etc) However most of the installs I've done had no other networks in close proximity making interference a non issue.

I live in a townhouse, and they recently completed two new buildings next door. Now that people have moved in, there are ~20 networks visible making the 2.4 ghz channels very congested, especially in the evenings. I have a lowly Linksys 310n and want to upgrade to a dual band router or access point. I still need to support 2.4 ghz for my PS4 (why Sony WHY??!!) and hard-wiring it isn't an option.

Which APs or wireless routers work better in congested environments? I can't afford enterprise level hardware, so something in the ~$100 range would be great.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Wifi hardware opinions

Post by Loed »

http://www.ncix.com/detail/ubiquiti-unifi-ap-802-11n-300mbps-c2-95997.htm

I have had great success with these units in combating WiFi congestion.

Find a good central spot that you can wire this unit to your existing router, and BAM. Solid WiFi AP.
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

I know you mentioned that wired wasn't an option but have you considered something like:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/ne ... powerline/

It's a funny thing about anything wireless ... sometimes turning the gain DOWN solves a lot of problems.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

HP wrote:I know you mentioned that wired wasn't an option but have you considered something like:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/ne ... powerline/

The problem with powerline is that both the source and destination have to be on the same branch in order for it to be truly effective. If they are on different branches and the signal has to go through the circuit box, you’re going to have problems.

So most bedrooms are all wired together. To run it from one bedroom to the other is just fine. To run it from the den downstairs and at the far end of the house to a bedroom will probably not work well, if at all.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

pmaria wrote:Which APs or wireless routers work better in congested environments? I can't afford enterprise level hardware, so something in the ~$100 range would be great.

What you want to do is get a decent ~$100 router and then upgrade it to a ~$500 router. You do this by installing custom firmware such as DD-WRT.

My favourite brand for such mods is TP-LINK. In fact, I recently got a TL-WDR4300 for under $100 CDN after shipping. This particular unit is very compatible with DD-WRT, and currently works like a charm in an apartment where at least 30-45 networks are visible at any one time. The biggest impact on reception, however, is to break the frequencies apart. You want the Wireless-G to be sitting on 2.4Ghz all by itself, and you want the Wireless-N to be sitting on 5Ghz all by itself. If you have more than one protocol on a single frequency, all devices on that channel will run only as fast as the slowest protocol that is in use. So if you have both Wireless-N and -G on the 2.4Ghz, and devices that make use of each attached, all devices will run at Wireless-G speeds, despite some “having” a Wireless-N connection.
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

The problem with powerline is that both the source and destination have to be on the same branch in order for it to be truly effective

I believe you're confusing "branch" with "phase":

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/powerline- ... explained/
http://www.howtogeek.com/210895/how-to- ... etworking/
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/l ... ne-network

conversation about crossing phases:
http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/5707
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

As suggested check out the Ubiquiti products. Wait a bit and get their new Unifi AC products.

Running a wire is always an option, and always worth it.

The power line idea is the next best thing.

P.S. don't take the advice of using DD-WRT to fix wifi issues, if Rekabis knew a bit more about DD-WRT he'd see that it hurts wireless performance (mostly on the 5 GHZ channels) because they haven't figured out stability on some of the antennas. I know this first hand because I've installed countless DD-WRT routers in tandem with AP's to fix weak zones.

Check out Ubiquiti's lineup, it's reasonably priced enterprise grade stuff.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

rekabis wrote:The problem with powerline is that both the source and destination have to be on the same branch in order for it to be truly effective

Actually, I meant “circuit”:
second link wrote:Jumping from one circuit to another decreases signal strength.

And that is actually quite an understated quote. I have tried to implement powerline adapters in several setups so far. If they were on the same circuit, they worked 100% of the time. As soon as they were on different circuits (including those without AFCI breakers), performance dropped by at least half in 40% of the cases, and by 100% in the other 60%. As in, nearly two in three implementations refused to work at all when the adapters had to work across different circuits within the same house (across only one circuit breaker and involving no AFCI breakers whatsoever).
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

forum wrote:if Rekabis knew a bit more about DD-WRT he'd see that it hurts wireless performance (mostly on the 5 GHZ channels) because they haven't figured out stability on some of the antennas.

Really? Because when you isolate the protocols to the different frequencies (wireless-g to 2.4Ghz and wireless-n to 5Ghz) I have been able to get consistently equivalent (if not better) performance with DD-WRT than with stock software.

This is on the LinkSys E3000 and the TP-Link n750. No clue why, but that is a fact.

If you were to mix protocols and frequencies (have both wireless-g and wireless-n active on the 5Ghz frequency, for example) then you would have performance degradation, especially for wireless-n devices when wireless-g devices hop onto the 5Ghz frequency. But that is an issue with the spec, not with the antennae (everything slows to the lowest protocol, an issue of lowest common denominator).
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

DD-WRT will hardly affect your wireless speeds. On the off chance that it DOES, it will make it worse 8 times out of 10 and the other fraction toes the line.

DD-WRT isn't an argument for better wireless connectivity, it IS an argument for more specific control and available settings for power users.

For the average end user(plug, play, forget), the Ubiquiti products are affordable and powerful and come with a massive support offering behind them.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

pmaria wrote:I have experience with installing and maintaining enterprise wifi hardware (Aerohive, Aruba, Sonicwall etc) However most of the installs I've done had no other networks in close proximity making interference a non issue.

I live in a townhouse, and they recently completed two new buildings next door. Now that people have moved in, there are ~20 networks visible making the 2.4 ghz channels very congested, especially in the evenings. I have a lowly Linksys 310n and want to upgrade to a dual band router or access point. I still need to support 2.4 ghz for my PS4 (why Sony WHY??!!) and hard-wiring it isn't an option.

Which APs or wireless routers work better in congested environments? I can't afford enterprise level hardware, so something in the ~$100 range would be great.

I had the same problem. Living in a congested area with a 4-5 year old router supplied by my isp.

Switched to a dual band ac1200 TP-link Archer C5 (on sale for $70 at Best Buy) and now the lags and drop outs are gone. My Apple devices that support 5Ghz ac are especially zippier.

So, yes, I think you'll be pleased with a modern router.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

Just a quick update in case anyone is interested.

I've been traveling for work the last couple of weeks, and now that I'm back I finally had a chance to address my Wifi issue. My had was forced as when I came back from my trip my lowley linksys was hissing and the top plastic was warped and soft. Not good.

I reviewed your posts, and did some quick model comparisons and ended up at best buy to pick up a TP-Link C5. So far so good, my N compatible devices now have no issues, even Netflix on my Apple TV is drastically improved - sharper and faster to load.

I'm fully aware of DD-WRT and selected the C5 due to the fact that its compatible.

So thanks for the input!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”