DVI -> VGA adapter

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

DVI -> VGA adapter

Post by Captain Awesome »

Where a classy guy like myself can get one for cheap? Is there a computer parts store that I can raid?

My new video card only has DVI ports, but my monitor has a VGA cable.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: DVI -> VGA adapter

Post by vegas1500 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Where a classy guy like myself can get one for cheap? Is there a computer parts store that I can raid?

My new video card only has DVI ports, but my monitor has a VGA cable.

Don't know,of a store in kelowna but we got memory express in Edmonton. Pick that up pretty cheap. Must be some electronic supply store there....or you could order online from memory express.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Kelowna has on of these…… Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/SearchResu ... ga+adapter
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Thanks for the suggestions.

While $10 sounded like a good deal, I ended up going on eBay and buying for $1.00 including shipping since I'm in no rush.

Can't believe one can make money by selling something for one dollar.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

If you're ever in more of a rush, I'd recommend Computer Resource @ Cooper & Springfield. Maybe call 'em up first. Great folk there.

Best Buy is overrated. I stay away from the place if I can. If there's something I do want there, I get it via an employee there & their discount. ;)
Your bias suits you.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote: I ended up going on eBay and buying for $1.00 including shipping since I'm in no rush.

Can't believe one can make money by selling something for one dollar.

And the best part is it's guaranteed to work for 8hrs. LOL
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

You have to be very careful what kind of a DVI port you have on your PC side.

If it is a DVI-D port, no adapter in the world will give you a VGA output. That is because that DVI port outputs ONLY a digital signal, and not an analog one. In order for you to connect a VGA monitor to that port, it needs to be a DVI-I port. That way, it outputs both a digital as well as an analog signal.

Look at the horizontal slash on the right side of the port. If it has four other pin holes (two above, two beneath) you have a DVI-I port, and you can use an adapter to hook up a VGA monitor. If it lacks those pin holes, you have a DVI-D port and you need to buy a monitor with DVI inputs.

And when ordering from China, be extra careful that the adapter is a DVI-I adapter. Some adapters lack those four extra pins, and are essentially DVI-D to VGA adapters, which are 100% useless. They will NEVER work on any DVI port because they cannot translate a digital signal to an analog one.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Thanks, Rek. It is in fact DVI-I, I just checked the card and the adapter I bought.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

In case the one you ordered doesn't work or whatever - most video cards have come with that adapter in the box for years, so if you know anyone who builds their own PC they probably have spares. I wouldn't be surprised if computer stores have a drawer full and would just toss you one for free.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LOL, wouldn't surprise me if I have a couple in my junk drawer.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Wytek
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I think alot of these adapters are probably old. I recall buying many a video card in my days and it would come with a DVI to VGA adapter. If I were to get my broom and sweep my floor I'd probably find 10 of them. lol. That could be $10 I never had :-) Do new video cards come with DVI adapters? Probably not anymore huh, since monitors are no longer VGA?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Jlabute wrote:Do new video cards come with DVI adapters? Probably not anymore huh, since monitors are no longer VGA?

New cards from what I've seen all have HDMI now, so though they have a DVI port the adapter no longer comes with them, as it would be deemed ancient hardware, given that monitors are all HDMI or DVI now hence no need to adapt to VGA.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Not sure if this answers your question but you can buy VGA and HDMI adaptors at Staples Stores and probably a few others. May be able to find others at some repair shops who may have things like that hanging around?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”