Telus home of the future

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Telus home of the future

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I don't know if this is being talked about on another thread but I figured it would be under science and tech if it was.
http://www.castanet.net/video/7390/the-home-of-the-future/
Because I don't live in Kelowna anymore, I just noticed this thing yesterday in OP parking lot when I came into "the big city" to do some doctor and shopping.
The video doesn't say, but how does this "home of the future" cope with power outages?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Telus home of the future

Post by Jlabute »

Ooo, so that's what it is. I saw it yesterday on my way home. Just like vehicles, you take a Chevy Sprint and add tons of electronics, and resell it for the price of a BMW or Benz :-) The future may have less electronics because in the future we will love time with nature and our family? Just guessing. More than a year after being promised Telus Optiks in my neighbourhood it still is not there. hmmm.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:The video doesn't say, but how does this "home of the future" cope with power outages?

You would probably need something like the Tesla whole home battery.
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/powerwall?redirect=no
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Jlabute wrote:Ooo, so that's what it is. I saw it yesterday on my way home. Just like vehicles, you take a Chevy Sprint and add tons of electronics, and resell it for the price of a BMW or Benz :-) The future may have less electronics because in the future we will love time with nature and our family? Just guessing. More than a year after being promised Telus Optiks in my neighbourhood it still is not there. hmmm.

Why are you so ansty to get Telus Optik?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Kelowna is considered one of the most connected communities in North America!? LOL!! No rail, no freeway, and no fibre directly into your house. By contrast, my friend 8 km outside of Haines Junction (a community of only 800 people some 2 hours outside of Whitehorse) had fibre optic right into his house years ago.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

We have fiber right to the home.

A community of 800 people is MUCH cheaper AND easier to provide fiber to than a city of 100k+.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

StraitTalk wrote:Why are you so ansty to get Telus Optik?

You're right, I should be cautious. Although fibre can carry more bandwidth. Not as though I will pay for more than 50mbps a.t.m. I think it comes out of a reaction to Shaw when they scammed me out of my grandfathered rate. At the time they were making rounds installing the good old digital boxes... they confronted my wife (who is not the account holder) and asked her "50mb is too fast for your needs, you should try 25mb, you won't notice a difference. If you have any problems, you can just switch back to 50mb - which she agreed to". When I got home that evening, I noticed a difference immediately and we were not able to switch back At THE SAME PRICE that we had. They probably left our house that day laughing their heads off. So, I got miffed :-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”