Blackberry Priv

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Blackberry Priv

Post by Bunnyhop »

What do you all think? I'm not a BB fan and can't help but wonder if they're too late to the game?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technolo ... e27127417/
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Blackberry Priv

Post by Captain Awesome »

I wish them luck, but I just don't see it being a big success. It's expensive, double keyboard is kinda redundant, and the competition is fierce. But I hope they make it, it's a Canadian company after all.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Those who want apps will go for full on Android or Apple, those wanting security will go for true BB.
This phone may go the way of flip phone.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

It is actually quite a nice looking phone, and Android too. They have a winning product. Just as expensive as other premium phones and has great specs. I wish them the best of luck. The flip phone is actually making a come back... I wouldn't slough it off.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

So what would draw new customers to the Blackberry Priv? The $800 price tag seems steep. There are lots of other Android choices already, so why not just choose one of them?

I actually only know one person that is still using a Blackberry, everyone else I know has switched over to either iPhone or Samsung etc.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

The money they spent shoehorning software and hardware security solutions into Android (Android + security = *bleep*) could have been much better spent in paying developers bounties to export their iOS and/or Android apps to Blackberry. Blackberry isn’t short on cash by any stretch of the imagination -- in fact, they have massive cash reserves. They could have easily made BB10 a successful platform by subsidizing apps from smaller developers. Instead they now have this Frankenstein, which has to compete with all the other Android phones on a even level.

Bugger me, the Priv could easily be the Albatross that kills the company as a physical phone manufacturer.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

Bunnyhop wrote:I actually only know one person that is still using a Blackberry

Make that two now. I love BB10, anemic app store notwithstanding.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I loved my Blackberry back in the day. When then battery went *bleep* up I switched over to the Samsung Galaxy family, which is now my go-to.

There are still a lot of people who prefer the tactile keyboard. With it running Android it seems like the best of both worlds for a lot of people.

I was just looking at Rogers and the Priv runs $799.99 with no contract or $399.99 on a two-year plan. It seems the standard if 32GB internal memory with the option of 2TB expandable memory.

By comparison my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB is now $249.99 on a two-year contract (and mysteriously $849.99 with no contract). So the price-point really isn't that off.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I like Samsung...but I would love to see what the Priv looks like. and how it feels. From what I see it looks nice...but anything to have a choice either than Samsung would be great. the LG G4 is actually a really nice phone....but like Apple users people just gravitate to Samsung because thats really the only thing they know.

I rather have the keyboard. I know I was able to type faster than the touch screen keyboard. I guess we will see...it really doesnt matter...we get screwed with our Cell phone plans here in canada anyways....

like take a look at this from T-Mobile....

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/family.html

even though i hear their service is a hit and miss...still 50 bucks unlimited everything and add 30 bucks for a second line...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I am checking out the Sony Z5. Although, the BB looks tempting. Maybe the new Motorola droid turbo 2 with the shatterproof screen? The Sony accomplished best camera according to dxomark. I wanna see the BB too.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Jlabute wrote:I am checking out the Sony Z5. Although, the BB looks tempting. Maybe the new Motorola droid turbo 2 with the shatterproof screen? The Sony accomplished best camera according to dxomark. I wanna see the BB too.

Was at Andre's in Vernon today.
They have the sample in hand and stock is coming in next week.
The salesgirl was saying something about $400 or so.
I am torn since I have the Samsung S5 but had BB before and the passport was not an option.
This feels nice in the hand and has both options for keyboards on it.

Going to give it a month or so to see what the rest of the world thinks about it - but I am really tempted.
Lack of an Otterbox is an issue, but we will have to see what accessories show up for it.

May have an S5 or maybe an S4 (the wife's) for sale - any offers for them if I put them up for sale??
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:
May have an S5 or maybe an S4 (the wife's) for sale - any offers for them if I put them up for sale??

If you're with Telus they'll give you $70 or $80 for it when you upgrade. Saves some hassle trying to sell them online.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”