Shaw/Global dumping Food Channel and HGTV into 4 and 8

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
watchkat
Übergod

Shaw/Global dumping Food Channel and HGTV into 4 and 8

Post by watchkat »

I've checked here and can't find any forum that is discussing this CHEAP programming by Shaw/Global. I pay for Classic/ personal and with internet it is over 100 dollars a month. The channels are 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,13, 16, 22,23,27,36.38. 43.46.47,48, and a couple of BC 111, 155, etc.
Lately, 4,8,and 7 are running the same programs at about the same times, 4,8, now have 16 and 36 being shown on there fairly consistently with just an hour delay from channels 16 and 36 .......the same damn shows and they are already repeats.

It is bad enough that 7 and 27 are paid programming a great majority of the time with Perricone, baking, exercise, etc etc. Now the lower end 4 - 8 channels are opting for paid advertising in prime time.

I have to wonder that no one else has noticed or commented. I am so fed up with them! If you have a PVR and wanted to set it to record a show a day or so ahead, you are likely out of luck for quite a bit now as I noticed checking two days out, even late tomorrow, it just reads "to be announced"...................how the hell can you set something that might not even be there.

I can't understand why the CRTC hasn't gone after them.....we pay for channels and they are using 4 and 5 channels to broadcast the same shows.........they own 4,8 and 16 and 36 and just keep rerunning their old shows over and over and over again. What are they doing with the monies and increases they are shoving on us? We are getting nothing for our dollar and they always say it is so everyone can see the shows............well, gone are the days of antennas even the most basic get all the channels listed above.......no one is missing the channels that they are/should be broadcast over.

The movies ,,,,,,,including the current one is on two channels and this is about the third time for it now. Honestly, do they get them out of the $5.00 bin at Walmart? With all the movies out there, it isn't even worth a Shaw on Demand movie..what crap? Monsters, vampires, comedy aimed at 16year olds, why not a few decent ones for the parents that pay the bills?

I resent that every channel has college football, NFL, CFL golf, golf, WHL, etc on all the lower channels..............what is the purpose of TSN ESPN, etc.......they charge extra for many of those and yet we are inundated in the basic channels and then they go into overrun of programs with the "extra" after the game know it alls. Really if you watched the game isn't that enough?
A rip off!!!!!!!!!

Comments please......................
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Shaw/Global dumping Food Channel and HGTV into 4 and 8

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Cable providers will likely be in a state of transition right into next Spring I would expect, since at that time they have to abide by new rules set forth by the CRTC.

Think you've got it bad, I pay about $210 a month for internet, cable, plus a land line I don't use, and much of what I have access to is also reruns.

For ages these outfits have been strategically bundling channels in such a fashion, that for many people, in order to get the channels they actually want, they have to buy extra bundles.

I'm only interested in HD channels, yet have to pay for the basic cable bundle too, even though I never watch any of those feeds.

I'm hoping whatever it changes to next year, might in some way lower the overall cost, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

CRTC did do something, H20BaBe started a thread here. All improvements are to be implemented by March 1/2016.

Over a $100/month x 12 = +1200/yr x 5 = $6,000?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65238
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
O'Neill

Post by O'Neill »

Just remember in March 2016, you will have to call in and request they change you to the new packaging.
Also don't be shocked if some channels become drastically more expensive.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

watchkat wrote:I've checked here and can't find any forum that is discussing this CHEAP programming by Shaw/Global. I pay for Classic/ personal and with internet it is over 100 dollars a month. The channels are 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,13, 16, 22,23,27,36.38. 43.46.47,48, and a couple of BC 111, 155, etc.
Lately, 4,8,and 7 are running the same programs at about the same times, 4,8, now have 16 and 36 being shown on there fairly consistently with just an hour delay from channels 16 and 36 .......the same damn shows and they are already repeats.

It is bad enough that 7 and 27 are paid programming a great majority of the time with Perricone, baking, exercise, etc etc. Now the lower end 4 - 8 channels are opting for paid advertising in prime time.

I have to wonder that no one else has noticed or commented. I am so fed up with them! If you have a PVR and wanted to set it to record a show a day or so ahead, you are likely out of luck for quite a bit now as I noticed checking two days out, even late tomorrow, it just reads "to be announced"...................how the hell can you set something that might not even be there.

I can't understand why the CRTC hasn't gone after them.....we pay for channels and they are using 4 and 5 channels to broadcast the same shows.........they own 4,8 and 16 and 36 and just keep rerunning their old shows over and over and over again. What are they doing with the monies and increases they are shoving on us? We are getting nothing for our dollar and they always say it is so everyone can see the shows............well, gone are the days of antennas even the most basic get all the channels listed above.......no one is missing the channels that they are/should be broadcast over.

The movies ,,,,,,,including the current one is on two channels and this is about the third time for it now. Honestly, do they get them out of the $5.00 bin at Walmart? With all the movies out there, it isn't even worth a Shaw on Demand movie..what crap? Monsters, vampires, comedy aimed at 16year olds, why not a few decent ones for the parents that pay the bills?

I resent that every channel has college football, NFL, CFL golf, golf, WHL, etc on all the lower channels..............what is the purpose of TSN ESPN, etc.......they charge extra for many of those and yet we are inundated in the basic channels and then they go into overrun of programs with the "extra" after the game know it alls. Really if you watched the game isn't that enough?
A rip off!!!!!!!!!

Comments please......................

Every Global channel will have same daytime & evening programming, because its the same company (same goes for CTV). Each Canadian network piggy backs US network feeds depending who they have contracts with.
Those stations in the same time zone will be showing the same programs.

TSN is 80% owned by Bell and 20% is owned by ESPN so of course they are going to show similar show if not the same ones.

Bottom-line:
All Global stations run the same basic programming with exception locally i.e local news or locally produced shows
All CTV stations same thing
All CBC stations again same thing.

Added: of course at different times depending on which time zone they originate from.
i.e channel 4 is Global Okanagan & 8 is Global BC and channel 7 is out of Seattle all within the same time zone so if for example: Madam Secretary is on channel 7 and Global has contract with that US network then it will also be on 4 & 8.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”