Warning re Dell products from Microsoft Online Store

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Warning re Dell products from Microsoft Online Store

Post by rekabis »

Just found on Reddit:
Do not buy Dell products from the Canadian Microsoft store online

They have Dell US warranties, not Dell CA warranties, and while the transfer process for ownership is supposed to be seamless and just require an online web-form at Dell's website, Dell ultimately didn't honour my warranty, MS wouldn't take the PC back or exchange it, and now my Alienware Alpha is a 950CAD paperweight no one will fix.

Consider yourself warned.

Not sure why the user bought from the Microsoft store, instead of dell.ca, but hey. I also have had a client experience a similar issue, so I thought it prudent to forward on this message.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
forum
Guru

Re: Warning re Dell products from Microsoft Online Store

Post by forum »

Many products purchased on the Microsoft store come clean or as they call them "Signature Edition".

If you order from Dell, you get the pre-installed Dell apps etc.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

forum wrote:Many products purchased on the Microsoft store come clean or as they call them "Signature Edition".

If you order from Dell, you get the pre-installed Dell apps etc.

True but plenty of users have the skills to deal with those in under an hour, something that really should be done with any purchase of a factory PC or laptop, provided they want performance.

Those who don't could use readily available free software such as Decrap My Computer which can even be set according to manufacturer, as in Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Why not order from Dell? Aren't they more competitive or have some sort of savings coupons etc? The junk ware can easily be cleaned off.

Also curious, what device would you guys/gals choose, the surface pro 4 (i5) or the Lenovo Miix 700?

Thanks for the warning. I hope it is safe to order the Surface Pro from MS. Although, it appears as though this guy at staples is open to give me educational pricing on one (-10%)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”