Windows 10?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Windows 10?

Post by Bsuds »

Donald G wrote:Think of it as similar to figuring out a way to upgrade the Vancouver Canucks Queen K

Some things just aren't possible without a complete system upgrade.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Queen K wrote:And "upgraded its bios" sounds Blade Runner-ish. Please explain.

Whenever the operating system gets upgraded, it tends to put new demands on the available hardware.

There are some motherboards (the main circuit board of your computer) that were designed with the future in mind, but they often shipped without those capabilities enabled.

Updating the BIOS would essentially enable some of those options.

For example I have several motherboards that run quad core processors, but those boards also have the ability to run 6 core processors, as shipped new in the box that ability was not enabled, hence if I upgrade my CPU to a six core unit, I have to upgrade the BIOS in order for it to recognize the new processor.

Interaction between the motherboard and the installed operating system can have similar results, in that an updated BIOS will have had tweaks done to it that are Windows 10 friendly in nature.

Hope that explains it.

That being said DO NOT attempt a BIOS update unless you are certain you know what you are doing, or there could be drastic results.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Lone is right.
I was stuck in an install/fail loop and had tried 3 times before updating the motherboard bios. Lucky me I built my own machine so I knew what motherboard I had. I went to the manufacturers website (giga-byte) and downloaded the latest bios for my exact model of motherboard. The bios (basic input-output system) provides your computer with a means to recognize and talk to hardware and boot. The bios is firmware on a chip. Lots of online support suggest updating your bios and drivers before doing the upgrade to Win10. BIOS update is not so bad and just slightly dangerous... but so is anesthesia in surgery. May be worth your while to have someone do it for you.

My motherboard was no older than 6 months so was all relatively new stuff. Do you have a brand-name computer? How old is it? Do you know the model#?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”