Windows 10?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Windows 10?

Post by Ka-El »

So, I'm seeing a banner from Microsoft offering a free upgrade to Windows 10. Anyone using it? What do you think?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Windows 10 ?

Post by Captain Awesome »

I was told not to upgrade to it for the time being.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Thanks. Good to know. Any reasons in particular?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have done 4 computers with no apparent problems. There is always a period of time where a few problems arise.
Just make sure you do the upgrade while it's still free.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Ka-El wrote:Any reasons in particular?

It's my experience that following release they still work out some major and minor bugs out of the system. Usually after a bit once all the patches have been released it's safe to proceed.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I just installed it on my son's laptop, that came with Windows 8, and had run like a dog from day one.

The laptop now works as it should have from the start.

Windows 8 had some issue with windows module installer, running all the time for some inexplicable reason, and taking upwards of 70% of CPU naturally making for a very slow computing experience.

I ran across literally hundreds of users complaining about the same thing, with Microsoft tech persons repeating the same useless canned response over and over again. Best I could tell it never was resolved in Win 8 but thankfully 10 seems to have dealt with it.

Long story short, there are instances where moving on to Windows 10 is a positive thing.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I installed win10 on two machines. One installed without a hitch, the other I tried two times before updating the bios which after it worked. Win10 looks more familiar. It has cortina, the start menu is back and better. You will eventually have to upgrade... can't keep using old stuff. It is fast. I have it booting from a SSD in under 10 seconds. Most anything that works on 7 or 8 will be fine so I wouldn't worry too much about compatibility. I think it's faster than 7 or 8. Looks great. Do it, do it.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Im having no issues with it. I believe its one of the better OS they have made. I recommend it. Might as well d/l while it is free.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Jlabute wrote:I installed win10 on two machines. One installed without a hitch, the other I tried two times before updating the bios which after it worked. Win10 looks more familiar. It has cortina, the start menu is back and better. You will eventually have to upgrade... can't keep using old stuff. It is fast. I have it booting from a SSD in under 10 seconds. Most anything that works on 7 or 8 will be fine so I wouldn't worry too much about compatibility. I think it's faster than 7 or 8. Looks great. Do it, do it.

In my opinion Cortana is not only useless (it doesn't understand you 80% of the time), but also a major invasion of privacy, thus I have it disabled, along with it's "getting to know you" function.

Windows Update is by default also set to share your updates with the world unless you change that setting, which in my opinion would be a good move.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Correct, it does peer to peer updates over the Internet which I too turned off. Although, local network is ok.
People will see their data usage go up. I wonder if there is anything else happening we don't know about.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

If you leave that banner you will be eventually forced to upgrade once all the data has downloaded.

In order to avoid a forced upgrade, you should uninstall the KB3035583 windows update, and then prevent it from reinstalling by re-running Windows Update and hiding that particular update. Unless you hide that update, it will re-install with the next automated Windows Update.

Please note: If you have KB3035583 installed at all, you will eventually be forced into an upgrade to Windows 10 against your will. Plus, this will not be a one-time thing. Microsoft is continually re-setting that KB as a “new download”, so your attempts to hide that download will be bypassed. You have to check your installed Windows Updates every month or so to see that it hasn’t been re-downloaded, or make your Windows Updates manual (you manually check and install updates, so you can filter this one out).
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
In my opinion Cortana is not only useless (it doesn't understand you 80% of the time), but also a major invasion of privacy, thus I have it disabled, along with it's "getting to know you" function.

Windows Update is by default also set to share your updates with the world unless you change that setting, which in my opinion would be a good move.

lol invasion of Privacy...i guess you shouldnt be using the internet as well..or any online search like google.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
dentwbas

Post by dentwbas »

Just moved to Kelowna from Ottawa so was eager to join the forum. Thought i'd put my views in on Windows 10 after seeing this thread. I bought a Lenovo G40 and its been running like crap on windows 8.1 ever since I got it out the box. Thought i'd bought a complete dud of a laptop. I bought the laptop for work and have to open a lot of pages at once so needed something that could handle it. In hindsight I thought maybe I should have got one with better RAM but surely it should work better with the spec it has.

Anyway, last week I downloaded the free upgrade to Windows 10 and it's like a different machine. No freezing and lagging like before, working a lot smoother now and I can do my work with ease. I don't know what Microsoft were thinking with Windows 8 but it completely missed the mark and over complicated things. I was a big fan of Windows 7 and would have preferred that instead. They seemed to simplify 7, it was user-friendly but still looked good, any machine seemed to be able to run it without a problem.

For now, I'm happy with Windows 10 and at least its a step back in the right direction. Not one for these gimmicks like Cortana so just disabled it straightaway as was taking-up valuable space on my taskbar.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:In my opinion Cortana is not only useless (it doesn't understand you 80% of the time), but also a major invasion of privacy, thus I have it disabled, along with it's "getting to know you" function.

Symbonite wrote:lol invasion of Privacy...i guess you shouldnt be using the internet as well..or any online search like google.

I'm well aware of how the internet works, quite possibly even more so than you, but nonetheless the point was Cortana if left alone, will collect far more data than your example of google search, and for that matter google search can be controlled somewhat as well, since I have it set to not retain history.

The problem is, most people are too lazy to put any effort into figuring out the many settings available, but often buried a few layers deep.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Windows 10?

Post by Symbonite »

well this is a good paper for a read....Done by a MIT student x2 about google.

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/classes ... google.pdf

Google does know more than we think they do. Paper is not a end all of the discussion but pretty in depth on how google works.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”