Android Box

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
zerograv
Banned

Android Box

Post by zerograv »

Looking to "cut the cord." Does anyone have experience with an android box? Pros/cons?
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Android Box

Post by kgcayenne »

If you are referring to media streaming devices, we tried a few options, and we ultimately went with a PC for the living room along with a wireless, backlit, rechargeable keyboard. We didn't like any of the media boxes because they would not multitask; for example, they wouldn't do a photo slideshow while streaming music like Songza (now Google Music).
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

zerograv wrote:Looking to "cut the cord." Does anyone have experience with an android box? Pros/cons?

Or use streaming apps & this https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/chrom ... mecast.com
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

and what about content? are you satisfied with not having cable and just using a streaming device?
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

zerograv wrote:and what about content? are you satisfied with not having cable and just using a streaming device?

I still use cable for sports, just my preference
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jbraidwo

Post by jbraidwo »

I bought a raspberry Pi and run KODI on it. works great... https://www.raspberrypi.org Raspberry pi is a small linux based computer the size of a credit card. You can use as a computer or as a media server, . Bought mine on amazon, under 100.00 all you need is a wireless key board and monitor or tv. Has HDMI and plugs into your tv.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Dont bother with the android boxes
Kodi is available for windows,mac, any android device, jailbroken ios, or rasberrypi etc
If your not familiar with setting it up, there are tons of youtube videos to help
https://kodi.tv/download/
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

vinnied wrote:Dont bother with the android boxes
Kodi is available for windows,mac, any android device, jailbroken ios, or rasberrypi etc
If your not familiar with setting it up, there are tons of youtube videos to help
https://kodi.tv/download/

That's ok if you have the money for a dedicated Home Theatre. You can buy an android streaming box from China for $50 or less.

http://www.aliexpress.com/*bleep*/category/5 ... y&origin=n
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I don't use an android box, but a PlayStation works wonders. It gives you a bluRay player so you can watch hi def uncompressed movies, dvd, etc, play games if you want, and download apps most of which are free, like Netflix, YouTube, many various streaming apps which are likely available on android too. Cutting the cord I think is what the carriers want you to do... lol... The costs of hi speed are getting steep. I used to have 50Mb for $55 but now it is almost twice that... for no other reason than the want your $$.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

I'm a long time XBMC/Kodi user (since 2006) and I have a few small Home Theatre PCs which work quite well and have done so for years, but modern Android boxes, and even the Raspberry Pi offer a cheaper and possibly easier setup.

I picked up a Google Nexus Player ($70) and it was very easy to setup with Kodi and while it's not perfect for playing all video sources, it's pretty good and a useful device even without Kodi. I added a keyboard (any wireless one will do with a usb otg adaptor which can be had online for about $1), a game controller (cheap PC one) and now have a game console, smart TV box and much more, for about $100 all in.

If you want versatility, there is nothing to beat an adequately specified PC, but it is more expensive and less simple to setup.

There is one thing on the horizon that may be a bit of a pain and that is x265. All of my PC based players (4 of them) use the graphics card to decode the video and this means that they can have very weak CPUs and still do a great job, but x265 support is currently spotty with cheap graphics cards. Some Android boxes support it and 4K video, but it can be a bit of a minefield to find a box with good Kodi support and x265 for a reasonable price.

Ultimately, I'd recommend buying a relatively cheap box, or Raspberry Pi 3 and try things out. Install all the useful addons (wife likes HGTV, Food Network, Youtube, etc. and there are many more that basically allow you to watch pretty much whatever you want) and see if you can live without cable before you actually cut it. We did and since cutting it, we've never looked back.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”