High-speed internet access: a luxury or a right?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: High-speed internet access: a luxury or a right?

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Jlabute wrote:It is what the topic is about. So, is access to Internet a Right?

As far as I'm concerned the title the OP used is incorrect, and also doesn't match her opening paragraph, where it's referred to as a necessity, which I believe to be the proper term.

Thread titles here seem to often go down the same path as Castanet News Headlines, which are also more often than not misleading.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Guess you'll have to take it up with CBC ... it was their headline which I shortened to fit the allowable space.

Digital divide: Is high-speed internet access a luxury or a right?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/inter ... -1.3433848 (2nd link provided in OP)
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

oneh2obabe wrote:^^^Guess you'll have to take it up with CBC ... it was their headline which I shortened to fit the allowable space.

Digital divide: Is high-speed internet access a luxury or a right?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/inter ... -1.3433848 (2nd link provided in OP)

No offense but then they got it wrong too. The debates have always been luxury vs necessity, not rights, well unless it's a driving thread. LOL

Mind you even then it's privilege vs right.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^lol ... I know but would they listen if we told them they screwed up?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

oneh2obabe wrote:^^^lol ... I know but would they listen if we told them they screwed up?

Probably no more than they listen here. :D
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

should be a right
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

In Canada we have this weird problem of believing that a 'right' comes without inherent cost.

I'm OK with high speed Internet being a right but we have to be prepared to make the social investment by way of either (1) tax increases or (2) system-wide service cost increases or (3) higher cost of receiving service if you're in a high cost serving area and probably all three.

I happen to think "right" v.s. "privilege" is the wrong question. I think the question is one of prioritization. We have a lot of problems that I happen to believe need addressing way before we get to the conversation about making Internet a right. For example, electricity delivered to your home is not a "right" if you can't afford to pay for the service. So, you can have Internet but without electricity I don't really see the point. As long as the conversation about affordability of electricity is a question (housing/health/employment/blah blah blah) I think the conversation about Internet access falls way down the line.

I suppose that draws the line between 'right' and 'necessity'. Right = Inalienable. Can/does Internet access rise to that level without a significant social investment?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”