Surface Pro 4 or Lenovo Miix 700

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Surface Pro 4 or Lenovo Miix 700

Post by Jlabute »

Which would you chose and why?

I am looking at purchasing one of them. My old laptop is, just plain old :-)

The Surface Pro 4 comes with a Skylake i5 - 4GB RAM, 128G SSD. 2736x1824 Screen and digitizer pen (better version of a digitizer although it's not a feature I need). Keyboard is extra.

The Miix 700 comes with a Skylake m5-6Y54, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD. 2160x1440 screen. (digitizer pen although not as good i hear??). Comes with keyboard.

J
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Surface Pro 4 or Lenovo Miix 700

Post by Jlabute »

Ok, MS surface it is then :-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
cliffdiving
Fledgling

Post by cliffdiving »

Good choice. I love mine!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

You're not having any issues related to Surfacegate? Did you do any firmware updates?
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Surfacegate wasn't a thing.

You'll love your pro though. Mine is a mainstay, perfect form and function. Haven't had an issue and we've used them since the pro 2 line.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Jlabute wrote:Which would you chose and why?

I am looking at purchasing one of them. My old laptop is, just plain old :-)

The Surface Pro 4 comes with a Skylake i5 - 4GB RAM, 128G SSD. 2736x1824 Screen and digitizer pen (better version of a digitizer although it's not a feature I need). Keyboard is extra.

The Miix 700 comes with a Skylake m5-6Y54, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD. 2160x1440 screen. (digitizer pen although not as good i hear??). Comes with keyboard.

J

I bought a surface and love it. FAST. get 8 gig ram. and bigger SSD if you can spring for it. I bought mine from London Drugs. They have a basket where they put returned items. Look in there and if you find one make an offer. Worked for me.
As for Levono. NEVER. they were caught installing rootkits on their machines. Read about it here.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/lenovo-roo ... e-deleted/
Can you trust any company that would install something like this? Not on your life.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Thanks. I feel as though 4GB would be a struggle. I didn't know about lenovos rootkit. Well, they wouldn't have been the first either. I discovered models of Miix 700 in North America do not come with the stylus and Lenovo has been quiet about their digitizer (not as though it is a feature I want anyways... but that too bugs me) Lots of stories of people trying stylus after stylus trying to find something that works.
I think I'll do the i5 with 256GB... I ordered it already. I can live with one USB although that is sucky cuz I will need at least two. A hub or something is on my list... and a KB. Lol.

I like London drugs... I've never seen a surface pro 4 there tho.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Jlabute wrote:Thanks. I feel as though 4GB would be a struggle. I didn't know about lenovos rootkit. Well, they wouldn't have been the first either. I discovered models of Miix 700 in North America do not come with the stylus and Lenovo has been quiet about their digitizer (not as though it is a feature I want anyways... but that too bugs me) Lots of stories of people trying stylus after stylus trying to find something that works.
I think I'll do the i5 with 256GB... I ordered it already. I can live with one USB although that is sucky cuz I will need at least two. A hub or something is on my list... and a KB. Lol.

I bought a small USB hub. No problems.

My surface is so great that I no longer have it. My wife loves it. I am back using my tower. Oh well... now to sell her Mac.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

That's funny. The dog spilled coffee on my wife's laptop so I gave her my new laptop. Since she is not buying me a laptop... lol... I think I'll get one for myself. I hope I can get away with it. I feel for you. I suppose this is the way of things. The excuse that she can't carry her big burdensome laptop anymore I am sure I will hear. The i5 with 256GB was on sale the last few days. The Miix would have been a lot cheaper and with two usb. lol.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Surface pro 4 - really cool. Bestbuy had a keyboard on sale cuz it was returned due to being the wrong colour for someone($135). I had to install new firmware and updates before it behaved properly. The pen did not work to start with. Quite a few d vice drivers missing. Updates plus four reboots and it was running much better. It is very likeable. IE would corrupt KiCAD whenever I downloaded it. I installed Firefox, downloaded KiCAD again and it was fine(weird). Charged fine. Wife wants it. LoL.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”