Computer disposal - security risk?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Computer disposal - security risk?

Post by Rosemary1 »

Time to replace my computer. Will either sell or recycle. Does anyone have any experience with best way to be sure that all personal data is completely removed since deleting files alone does not do it.

There is software on the market (some free and some not) that claims to tha. Any suggestions on most reliable software for the job?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Computer disposal - security risk?

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Pull the hard drive out of the old computer, attach it to the new one and format the drive. Or beat it to death with a hammer. :D
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

He's not kidding :-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Pull the hard drive out of the old computer, attach it to the new one

This is one way to move your files over to the new computer as well. Then use it for a back up.
Is it a desktop or Laptop?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I like to use a nail gun to the hard drive prior to disposal to minimize all security risks.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This is handy item to have, does the job.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=pickhamm ... fizPT_M%3A
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Seriously if it's a desktop computer, any resale value is next to nothing anyway, so adding the old hard drive to the new computer makes good sense, plus you don't have to purchase any software to accomplish your goal.

As Bsuds said it makes it easy to move your files to the new computer, and you can format the old drive and use it for backup or whatever.

If you're dealing with a laptop and you don't have any files of value on it, it may be more cost effective to simply trash it as it would require some sort of adapter cables to connect it to your new laptop, cables most people don't have, and the cost of which could become prohibitive when compared to the minimal expense of a new USB external drive.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
If you're dealing with a laptop and you don't have any files of value on it, it may be more cost effective to simply trash it as it would require some sort of adapter cables to connect it to your new laptop, cables most people don't have, and the cost of which could become prohibitive when compared to the minimal expense of a new USB external drive.

Actually not too expensive on AliExpress for an external 2.5: Hd enclosure for less than $6.00
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

Bsuds wrote:Actually not too expensive on AliExpress for an external 2.5: Hd enclosure for less than $6.00

That is cheap.

Guaranteed for one use, or thirty minutes, whichever comes first, I'm guessing. :D
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Not much to the enclosure to go wrong. For that price not much to lose and worth a try.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:Not much to the enclosure to go wrong. For that price not much to lose and worth a try.

True but just pointing out there is a risk.

I got a quantity of SATA cables a while back, and the price was attractive, but over time I've noted that they fail quite regularly too.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I use the nail and hammer method

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”