Install an SSD as a boot drive?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Install an SSD as a boot drive?

Post by Bsuds »

OK I picked up a 120gb SSD and want to install as the boot drive.
Has anyone done this and what is the easiest way? Should I just create a Windows 10 install USB and do a fresh install or can I clone the old 1tb boot drive somehow. I don't need to clone my files and will have them backed up elsewhere.
I'm leaning towards the clean install method unless someone has a better easier idea.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Install an SSD as a boot drive?

Post by Jlabute »

How much space is used on the 1TB drive? Usually I just clone my drives, it is the quickest and easiest means so long as you have the available space. Going from a larger to smaller drive is fine so long as you don't have more than 110GB of stuff on the old drive (formatted size). You may get a warning when you proceed depending on the tools you use. I would probably have spent the extra $ and gone for 240GB which is marginally more $ and they tend to be faster.
Otherwise, a fresh install on to the boot drive, then you may end up re-installing apps... which may or may not be an onerous task. It'll take longer but also works.

You'll love the SSD. :-) I wanna hear all about your experience.

Example, 240GB for $79
http://www.ncix.com/detail/patriot-pbt2 ... 1-1101.htm
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Since you already have the drive and are ready to go I would do a clean install. My personal preference is always do it that way. My main comp, which I built from scratch 3 years ago, has a 120 Gb SSD as main drive and a 1Tb also. The difference in boot times is amazing and the whole flow of the computer is far better than anything I've ever had before. I will always use a SSD as the boot drive in all future builds. I, though, am still a Win7 hold out and have no plans to move to 10. Not sold on any benefit that an "upgrade" will do for me. Again just a personal preference.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I did a clean install of Win 10 which went well. Now as stated I am installing my programs and apps from scratch.
Probably will work out best as I can control where things go.
I am interested to see how Photoshop Elements performs on the SSD. I'm sure it will be much faster.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

You did it the way I would have gone.

Clean install allows you to determine what gets installed on your boot drive, and what can go onto another drive.

I have the operating system and a few regularly used programs on my SSD, but for storage I use a 1TB hybrid drive and it holds all my pictures, music, documents etc.

I have no complaints regarding speed.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-shows ... lot_176826

https://www.micron.com/about/emerging-t ... technology

Intel and Micron have come up with a non-volatile storage technology that is 10x denser and 1000x faster and more reliable, and is currently being demonstrated. Due out this year.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So far this has worked out well and really sped up my older computer. Not that it was that slow to start with.
Now I just need to clean up the old boot drive.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:So far this has worked out well and really sped up my older computer. Not that it was that slow to start with.
Now I just need to clean up the old boot drive.

Since they are the largest directories generally, I went into the music and picture folders properties and moved their location to the larger data drive.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They are there all ready with a back up on a 2nd drive as well. What I think I will do is make sure I have everything I want backed up then format and maybe partition the 1tb drive. Then re-install my programs in 1 partition and all my pictures, music and personal files in the other. I have the files I work with the most on either Dropbox or Onedrive and a few on Google drive but not much there any more.
quangtran210489

Post by quangtran210489 »

I just clone my drives, it is the quickest and easiest means so long as you have the available space. Hope you success!
http://agreview.net
AG Reviews - Specialized Product Review Pages Games & Application
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

quangtran210489 wrote:I just clone my drives, it is the quickest and easiest means so long as you have the available space. Hope you success!

That works except the SSD is only 120g and I will use it only as the boot drive with some other frequently used programs like the browser. Just my photo's folder is bigger than 120g.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Bsuds wrote:..Not that it was that slow to start with...

Ummm, Yes it was. lol.

Now it is not slow, I am sure you agree with that!! :-)

Love your new profile pic. It is like a combination of "Arthur" in the Tick, and a Minion.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”