Microsoft Windows 10

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
jetty1965
Board Meister

Re: Microsoft Windows 10

Post by jetty1965 »

I had windows 8 initially and its a big improvement on 8. I use 7 at work and 10 at home, they are similar , 8 was quite different.

It just takes getting used to.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

So naturally you took matters into your own hands and forced it to shut down right?

Shutting down Windows 10.........left click bottom left hand corner Windows symbol, it then opens an option of power, restart or shutdown. I clicked shutdown and done. When the problem shutting down came about, left click would not open that window and the power option but a right click now opened a window that said update and restart or update and shutdown........I clicked update and shutdown. I did not force a shutdown.

I do understand what you mean by "forced shutdown" but it was certainly not the case here.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

lesliepaul wrote:I do understand what you mean by "forced shutdown" but it was certainly not the case here.

Well that's good then, so hopefully the issue is nothing too serious. Will be interested to hear what happened.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Got the computer back just now.........Windows 7 is back up and running. My geek wants to find out what happened to Windows 10 BEFORE reinstalling it. Hopefully he has an answer by the middle of the week. He himself has been running Windows 10 for over 6 months.........NO ISSUES.

You would think that most computer geeks are even tempered...........WRONG.........my guy let out enough expletives about Microsoft for 5 minutes when I told him about the problems I was having. I guess it was building up........he feels better now.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

butcher99 wrote: There is so much help online for fixing computer problems and they are all just a click away. $100 an hour? Does that include travel time?
Get your neighbourhood geek for a pizza. Paying someone $100. an hour is crazy.

When you pay, you get real professional help that will ensure a smooth transition.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Bman wrote:Oh, forum is just trying to make a buck.
He wants to buy real estate in 20 years when its worthless.

Didn't know you were such a fan of me Bman, following me around on the forum. Makes me blush a little. How cute.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

lesliepaul wrote:Got the computer back just now.........Windows 7 is back up and running. My geek wants to find out what happened to Windows 10 BEFORE reinstalling it. Hopefully he has an answer by the middle of the week. He himself has been running Windows 10 for over 6 months.........NO ISSUES.

You would think that most computer geeks are even tempered...........WRONG.........my guy let out enough expletives about Microsoft for 5 minutes when I told him about the problems I was having. I guess it was building up........he feels better now.

For what it's worth any geek worth his salt would also know that the best Windows 10 installations are the ones done clean after a qualifying computer has been upgraded to Win10 by Windows Update.

This is a lot more work but the end result is well worth it. It's necessary to go through the upgrade process because that way the computer and its hardware get recognized and authenticated as a legitimate Win10 installation and Microsoft records this info. Once this has been done a person can save their data to a safe place such as the cloud, another hard drive, or another computer, and then the existing hard drive can be formatted and Win10 installed on it cleanly.

You simply download the proper Win10 version that corresponds with your Win7 so if you have Win7 Home 32Bit you would download the ISO for Win10 Home 32Bit and burn it to disk for installing. If you have Win7 Pro 64Bit you would download Win10 Pro 64Bit, and so on.

Doing it that way is much more work as you have to reinstall all the software programs you had before, and hope they are Win10 compatible (I found lightscribe no longer works in Win10 for example) but it does make for a decent stable system.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Yeah. It's not many steps .

Backup all your files.
Perform the update.
Create a bootable Windows 10 USB.
Reboot.
Install a clean copy.
Reinstall software.
Put files back.

It takes about an hour.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXTWCqTRIag

neroas posted this link, on another WIn 10 topic, and it was the best video I have watched in years. It is by a former MS employee who likes W10 but has major problems with what they are doing. That is my biggest beef (though not only beef), forced compliance with an upgrade that I do not need or want. Neither does my elderly father who has a hard enough time with the vernacular of operating a computer. Took him a long time to get comfortable with 7 and that is the OS he will use for the rest of his life, most likely.

Win 7 has many recommended or even important updates that are there for the explicit reason of trying to force WX down your throat. Hidden in the update are the controls to nag you to upgrade or worse try to trick you. There is no "real" need to upgrade. I have not seen any improvement that is needed for my, or anyone I know, needs. I can see why some would as there a few new features that could be useful to some people, but no one that I know. Maybe in the future if I build a new machine I will want DirectX 12 but for now my vid card only supports up to 11.1 and that is fine for everything I do. BTW my last build is over 3 years old running an 8core cpu and I have never had any need to upgrade it either.

I will not just swallow the Kool-Aid because of the opinions some of the members of this forum's fanatical love of this OS from a company that is so dishonest. I have disabled many of the Win7 "updates" trying to make me part of the collective but resistance is not futile.

It makes me cringe to hear the devoted here so passionate about defending the new MS attempt to take over the world. Reminds me of many decades ago in school when losers would tell you that you were less than they were because you did not "upgrade" to the latest fashion. My jeans were the worst because they weren't the ones that they just bought for 2, 3 or 4 times as much. Huh? Did they own stock in that company? Did their dad work for that company? Nope, just losers that had an opinion that defied reason. I have been building my own machines since I got rid of my XT and bought my first 286 motherboard running Dos 4.01 and have used all the retail versions of Windows up to 7, though Me was only installed for 3 weeks before I got XP. Windows Me was the worst Windows ever in my experience. If I got a computer, say a laptop, with Win8 installed on it I would still get a copy of 7 (legal or not) and install it before I would get WX.

There you go, my opinion. Rant over, one more cup of java and out to the garden.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

^^^^^^
Exactly my thoughts as well JagXKR and there is another discussion here with links to Win GNX disable tools.
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Got nothing but grief from Tyler about posting these links since he goes on about how good 10 is.

NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Windows 10 is a great OS. No need to be fanatical about it.

I've had one laptop out of about 50 that I had to rollback to Windows 7 because the installation couldn't finish. It rolled back cleanly. It was fixed by backing up and then installing windows 10 clean.

Why not move into Ubuntu or ChromeOS if you are so objective about Windows 10?

One more thing, if your current software doesn't support Windows 10, do you think the software company is worth further time and investment? Lots of good cloud based software that is OS independent.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

forum wrote:Yeah. It's not many steps .

Backup all your files.
Perform the update.
Create a bootable Windows 10 USB.
Reboot.
Install a clean copy.
Reinstall software.
Put files back.

It takes about an hour.

An hour?

That's a bit optimistic I'd say.

Depends a lot on how much software is installed on the computer.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

forum wrote:No need to be fanatical about it.

The only thing anybody should ever be fanatical about is maintaining non-fanaticism. :up: (well, and maybe booze)

No need to go with another OS if their [supposed] benefits are minuscule.

Personally, I installed 10 to give it a whirl for a bit, when I was doing a backup. I later rolled it back to Win 7 via my disc image backup - but I copied the activation key first. Now I have a free Win 10 key that's good to go in the future (provided I don't change the hardware - and I won't for a number of years) that came from "upgrading" my free Win 7 Ultimate x64 install. (to date, I've never paid for any Windoze iteration) Win-win. :biggrin:

Anyone else thinking of going that route - here's a nice simple guide to do it, 2 different ways:

http://www.howtogeek.com/253901/get-win ... -prep-now/
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”