Microsoft Windows 10

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
butcher99
Guru

Re: Microsoft Windows 10

Post by butcher99 »

Bsuds wrote:It could be downloading more updates...heaven forbid that MS would install a totally up to date version.

That would be next to impossible. You need to install the basic and then follow the update path. Microsoft would always be updating the totally up to date version for fewer and fewer people. Just not worth the time when the upgrade route they have works at very close to 100% efficiency.
Microsoft has screwed a lot of things up but the one thing they have always managed to get right is safe upgrades.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Woodenhead wrote:I won't upgrade or pay. lol No need to at all.

butcher99 wrote:No there is no need to. 10 is faster, it is safer and it boots up much faster and once you get used to it the interface works much better. But no, if you don't mind an unsafe slower machine that takes for ever to boot and takes for ever to find you less used programs why bother?

I used it. You're incorrect. Try preaching your religion to someone else.

The important question is: what drove you to wade into this thread and make 3 posts in a row?
Your bias suits you.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

lesliepaul wrote:Just wondering if anyone else has had Windows 10 FORCED on them recently? Have been using Windows 7 for several years after our home computer was completely upgraded. Everything has been working fine until yesterday. I have noticed that I would get a "Upgrade to Windows 10 pop up" for the last few months but ignored it not knowing if it was a fake or real.

Anyway, last night I went on the computer and here it was INSTALLING Microsoft Windows 10........."do not shut off computer while upgrading in progress" was the message. After 15 minutes another message pops up telling me "all of your files are unchanged". There are differences in the look of Windows 10 but now EVERYTHING is SLOW........VERY SLOW! Someone told me it could take a day or so before "everything" starts working better.....well it has been 24 hours now and SLOW is the operative word. Not a single click opens ANY sight or page without "timing out" for 20 seconds at least and then once a sight opens it times out again before you can even scroll the page. Was told that if it does not improve, some of your hardware may not be compatible to Windows 10.........."WHAT THE F@%k". After paying to have Windows 7 installed, you are telling me that Microsoft is GIVING AWAY (actually forcing on you) an operating system now that may or may not work on your previously perfectly working computer? Anyone have comments on this? An expert will be over Thursday to correct this mess as I am certainly not a geek with computers.

I felt somewhat duped into downloading windows 10. Similarly after months of prompts to 'schedule my upgrade' I thought it prudent to do so as a requirement. And ever since, my computer has done a myriad of aberrant things- have never had so much trouble with freezing, slowness, glitches that come and go. I wanted to uninstall but that was too complicated so I've lived with it. It seems to have improved, but there seem to be frequent large 'upgrade' downloads to keep it running smoothly.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

butcher99 wrote:
That would be next to impossible. You need to install the basic and then follow the update path.

Which can be very time consuming. That was my point.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Woodenhead wrote:I used it. You're incorrect. Try preaching your religion to someone else.

The important question is: what drove you to wade into this thread and make 3 posts in a row?

Last i saw it was an open forum and no one need ask your permission to post.

What led me to post? My experience with windows 10 and my over all experiance with computers if you must know.

Your inability to figure it out does not mean it is an inferior product. Windows 10 is solid although somewhat different. Once you learn the differences it actually works quite well. Yes there will be long downloads until you are fully up to date.
I am not pushing any religion any more than you are. You are free to push your negativity all you like just as i am free to point out that it is a solid product.
In todays changing times with malware and ransomware etc etc the old systems need updates. You are free to not update and you are free to go back to 7 or even xp if you like. You did make a startup disk when you bought your computer right?

If you go back feel free to post asking how to turn off prompts to go to 10.
Last edited by butcher99 on May 28th, 2016, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Bsuds wrote:

Windows 10 allows you to schedule the upgrades at a time where you do not normally use your computer. Say 2am. It will download in the background then ask when you want to install it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:
butcher99 wrote:
Windows 10 allows you to schedule the upgrades at a time where you do not normally use your computer. Say 2am. It will download in the background then ask when you want to install it.

Which is fine once you have a new install up to date but only helps when you leave your computer on 24/7.
It also does the download as it's available and then the install at 2 am. The download can slow your computer down as it's happening anytime and as far as I'm aware that can't be changed other than to do them manually.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Bsuds wrote:Which is fine once you have a new install up to date but only helps when you leave your computer on 24/7.
It also does the download as it's available and then the install at 2 am. The download can slow your computer down as it's happening anytime and as far as I'm aware that can't be changed other than to do them manually.

The download is a background task with low priority so unless you have a very slow computer and a very slow connect like an old dial up you should not notice it.

Click on the little window icon. then (without clicking anything) type settings. Click on settings, click on advanced, Choose how updates are installed, change to Notify to schedule restart. Or check Defer upgrades.

If you have slow internet Click on Choose how updates are delivered and turn it off. That will stop your computer from uploading the upgrades to other computers on the internet. Might help a bit.

The other thing I would do is an internet search for Top windows 10 tips and tricks. Read a few of them. Lots of help there to learn a slightly new system.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

If you really want to go back to windows 7 Microsoft left you a very easy way to do this. go to this page and scroll to the bottom and you will find a how to. This only works for 30 days then it disappears. You will also lose anything downloaded or installed since you upgraded.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/ ... and-tweaks
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

butcher99 wrote: Your inability to figure it out does not mean it is an inferior product. Windows 10 is solid although somewhat different. Once you learn the differences it actually works quite well. Yes there will be long downloads until you are fully up to date.
I am not pushing any religion any more than you are. You are free to push your negativity all you like just as i am free to point out that it is a solid product.
In todays changing times with malware and ransomware etc etc the old systems need updates. You are free to not update and you are free to go back to 7 or even xp if you like. You did make a startup disk when you bought your computer right?

If you go back feel free to post asking how to turn off prompts to go to 10.

- I have no such inability. I "figured it out" (lol). I didn't say it's inferior or superior.
- I'm not being negative. It just isn't that big of a deal to me.
- "solid" is a fair assessment. "much faster" is not, going by my benchmarks from when I installed it for a while.
- I did not buy my computer. I built it.

You make a lot of incorrect assumptions. I only touched on a few because this isn't a big deal; different people have different preferences and experience(s). Who knew?
Your bias suits you.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

looking4one wrote:I am running dual monitors. Win 10 would not allow this. I went back to win 7.

I am running dual monitors no problem in windows 10. Using an old ATI card as I quit gaming about 6 years ago so my card would be of about that vintage.
It should work fine. I think I had to install an old ATI driver and to do that there is a setting you have to change. You will have to hit the forums to see where the setting is. You were probably stuck with the default plain vanilla MS drivers as I was.
However if you are happy back at 7 why worry? It may even have been 8 where I had the driver problem.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Hey guys, if your having troubles with Windows 10, buck up and pay someone to consult you. You're missing out. Backup your data and reformat.

I've upgraded over 50 machines to Windows 10, people are very happy. I'm running 3 monitors in windows 10. Might add a 4th 4K monitor.

Windows 10 is Microsofts best OS so far. Get into it!

I can refer you to a guy that will come over to your house and do a consultation and help you move forward. He is $95/hr well worth it!
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

forum wrote:Hey guys, if your having troubles with Windows 10, buck up and pay someone to consult you. You're missing out. Backup your data and reformat.

I've upgraded over 50 machines to Windows 10, people are very happy. I'm running 3 monitors in windows 10. Might add a 4th 4K monitor.

Windows 10 is Microsofts best OS so far. Get into it!

I can refer you to a guy that will come over to your house and do a consultation and help you move forward. He is $95/hr well worth it!

There is so much help online for fixing computer problems and they are all just a click away. $100 an hour? Does that include travel time?
Get your neighbourhood geek for a pizza. Paying someone $100. an hour is crazy.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Oh, forum is just trying to make a buck.
He wants to buy real estate in 20 years when its worthless.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Tannah
Board Meister

Microsoft Windows 10 Headaches

Post by Tannah »

Wow so much love for Windows 10? Its like there are some people pulling a wage from Microsoft here.

I've found that generally the uninformed have embraced Windows 10 and Office 365.

Windows 10 is causing all sorts of havoc out there, the biggest problem lately has been the already mentioned forced upgrade. That you have to be tech savvy to avoid. But sometimes that doesn't even work. I have seen Enterprise versions of windows 7 in a manged domain force update to Windows 10. Even though Microsoft said they would not use the updater on Enterprise customers.
The second biggest problem is the privacy implications. Especially in regards to FIPA regulations, and personal and private information. I know several agency's and large associations have been having huge headaches in regards to this. With both Windows 10 and Office 365. To the point of if someone installs Windows 10 or office 365 they have to disallow access to the internal network until Windows 10 and Office 365 is removed. If it is a work machine they have to try and audit the data lost to the data breach. It is really a major concern.
But its one many in-favor of windows 10 ignore.

To try to mitigate this Microsoft has just recently setup Canadian data centers for Business and Corporate customers. Consumers are left out in the cold on this so far.
If I say something that is absurdly stupid or annoying. It's Sarcasm!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”