Microsoft Windows 10

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Microsoft Windows 10

Post by lesliepaul »

Just wondering if anyone else has had Windows 10 FORCED on them recently? Have been using Windows 7 for several years after our home computer was completely upgraded. Everything has been working fine until yesterday. I have noticed that I would get a "Upgrade to Windows 10 pop up" for the last few months but ignored it not knowing if it was a fake or real.

Anyway, last night I went on the computer and here it was INSTALLING Microsoft Windows 10........."do not shut off computer while upgrading in progress" was the message. After 15 minutes another message pops up telling me "all of your files are unchanged". There are differences in the look of Windows 10 but now EVERYTHING is SLOW........VERY SLOW! Someone told me it could take a day or so before "everything" starts working better.....well it has been 24 hours now and SLOW is the operative word. Not a single click opens ANY sight or page without "timing out" for 20 seconds at least and then once a sight opens it times out again before you can even scroll the page. Was told that if it does not improve, some of your hardware may not be compatible to Windows 10.........."WHAT THE F@%k". After paying to have Windows 7 installed, you are telling me that Microsoft is GIVING AWAY (actually forcing on you) an operating system now that may or may not work on your previously perfectly working computer? Anyone have comments on this? An expert will be over Thursday to correct this mess as I am certainly not a geek with computers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Microsoft Windows 10

Post by Bsuds »

I suspect it could be downloading more updates.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ken531a
Fledgling

Post by ken531a »

I believe windows 10 is more or less forced on people and given away because micro-soft and the usa government have a hidden agreement and its used for internet spying because of terrorism..
perhaps theirs a way to break encryption they can use when everyone is on it
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Windows 10 Free Upgrade Offer Ends July 29th as Scheduled
Andre Da Costa | May 6, 2016 in News

Microsoft today confirmed that the free Windows 10 upgrade, which launched at the end of July 2015, will still end on July 29th, 2016. Users running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 who do not take advantage of the free upgrade offer, will have to purchase a license starting at US$119 for the home version.

<snip> There is still some reluctance to upgrade for reasons ranging from privacy to compatibility or complete dislike. For users who are on the fence about upgrading, your options are limited. You could create a system image of your current Windows installation, perform the upgrade to Windows 10 now, activate Windows 10, get the Digital Entitlement, then rollback to your previous version or restore your system image. This will give you the option of upgrading when you decide. <snip>

http://www.groovypost.com/news/windows- ... scheduled/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ken531a wrote:I believe windows 10 is more or less forced on people and given away because micro-soft and the usa government have a hidden agreement and its used for internet spying because of terrorism..
perhaps theirs a way to break encryption they can use when everyone is on it

They don't do that as they prefer doing it through your smart TV.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

It's not forced, tho you have to be very careful with the prompts and your windows update settings or you will end up getting it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

It's not forced though close to it, but eventually people will be forced to take one of two options, change to Win10 if they plan on staying with windows, or switch to Linux or Apple.

I see no other options really if a person wants to run a protected computer, so that being the case, I don't understand why anyone would not take advantage of the free windows offer before the end of July, as opposed to stubbornly clinging to Win7 or what have you, and then be forced to pay for Win10 in the end.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:It's not forced though close to it, but eventually people will be forced to take one of two options, change to Win10 if they plan on staying with windows, or switch to Linux or Apple.

I see no other options really if a person wants to run a protected computer, so that being the case, I don't understand why anyone would not take advantage of the free windows offer before the end of July, as opposed to stubbornly clinging to Win7 or what have you, and then be forced to pay for Win10 in the end.

Agreed. You can usually "skip an OS" with Microsoft. But overall Win10 is a solid operating system and I'd encourage anyone who can to take the free upgrade.
DeepEnd
Fledgling

Post by DeepEnd »

i installed 10 in January from 7 and have only one oddity, it reset my file folder views. Other than that it runs great.

Best improvement is the Notification Button.
Never pass up the opportunity to do good.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Thanks all for the comments on Microsoft installing Windows 10. As I mentioned ........Monday night I find Windows 10 installing itself and when completed, at least according to the message......"Your files have not changed". Talked to a computer geek and was told it could take a while for it to complete the install........days. After 48 hours nothing changed and it ran SLOW. Thursday morning when I turned it on, low and behold, it was running as it was pre Windows 10. It would have been nice if Microsoft could mention the upgrade could take several days in some cases. ANYWAY.....all is good now and I have 30 days to switch back if Windows 10 sucks.........from what I have heard there should be no reason to go back to Windows 7. Thanks people.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Thanks for the info, I have been hesitant to upgrade.

Reading more posts, I think I will wait until I need a new computer, I am happy with what I've got.
Last edited by just popping in on May 22nd, 2016, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

I am running dual monitors. Win 10 would not allow this. I went back to win 7.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

looking4one wrote:I am running dual monitors. Win 10 would not allow this. I went back to win 7.

Yes it will.
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

It wouldn't recognize the 2nd monitor. I am using a laptop by the way. I did the internet search and used the help feature before I gave up after 12 hours.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A quick Google search shows that Win 10 does support 2 monitors so your problem is probably caused by something else ie: need updated drivers or something else and not win 10 itself.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”