Microsoft Windows 10

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Microsoft Windows 10 Headaches

Post by TylerM4 »

Tannah wrote:Wow so much love for Windows 10? Its like there are some people pulling a wage from Microsoft here.

I've found that generally the uninformed have embraced Windows 10 and Office 365.

Windows 10 is causing all sorts of havoc out there, the biggest problem lately has been the already mentioned forced upgrade. That you have to be tech savvy to avoid. But sometimes that doesn't even work. I have seen Enterprise versions of windows 7 in a manged domain force update to Windows 10. Even though Microsoft said they would not use the updater on Enterprise customers.
The second biggest problem is the privacy implications. Especially in regards to FIPA regulations, and personal and private information. I know several agency's and large associations have been having huge headaches in regards to this. With both Windows 10 and Office 365. To the point of if someone installs Windows 10 or office 365 they have to disallow access to the internal network until Windows 10 and Office 365 is removed. If it is a work machine they have to try and audit the data lost to the data breach. It is really a major concern.
But its one many in-favor of windows 10 ignore.

To try to mitigate this Microsoft has just recently setup Canadian data centers for Business and Corporate customers. Consumers are left out in the cold on this so far.

Whomever has their devices unexpectedly upgraded to Win10 in a "managed enterprise environment" needs to fire some employees. Seriously. The process is completely different from the home user. You actually have to take extra steps to make this happen, not steps to avoid. In fact, the enterprise version of Win7 WILL NOT automatically update even when not in a managed environment. Either you're telling tall tales or this isn't an enterprise managed environment. Seriously - you're going to need to back up this statement. A little over 9000 enterprise Win7 devices in my environment - not a single upgrade to Win10. Over 30,000 when you include our partner agencies - none of them are reporting this either. And we've done NOTHING to proactively prevent Win10 upgrades.

Win10 has no privacy concerns in an enterprise environment. Turn off telemetry, and you're good to go. It's already vetted/approved by provincial and federal government. I've read the independent privacy assessments on this (written by actual information privacy experts - not Joe tech blogger), including those done by government - have you?

Yes, cloud storage in general has concerns. It's Bill73 that is the problem tho - FIPA is an American standard. Are you sure you know as much as you claim you do here? Referencing American standards when talking about Canada? Yes, MS is in the process of opening Canadian datacenters as a result. Not sure why/how you're blaming Microsoft for this - this problem is all the American government's doing along with the Patriot Act. It's a concern will ALL DATA stored on US soil regardless of technology, encryption, etc.

The only place Win10 is causing problems like you describe is in the home office, and poorly managed (unmanaged) small business environments. Any company that has this occur to them is simply not doing enterprise desktop management - this is the starting point for enterprise desktop management. It's like calling yourself a professional soccer player when you don't even own a ball.

Uninformed? Somehow you know more than the many people who dedicate their careers to this stuff? Please inform us as to what they haven't considered as what you've provided so far is very thin.
Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Microsoft Windows 10

Post by Woodenhead »

Such a personal topic. "Use the OS I use or be ridiculed!!!!!!!" LOOL
Your bias suits you.
neroas
Fledgling

Post by neroas »

Woodenhead wrote:Such a personal topic. "Use the OS I use or be ridiculed!!!!!!!" LOOL

Sad eh?

I do remember when folks were knowledgeable and used to discuss things, but now it's use it or you will die of security risks!

Their eyes must be popping out from the millions of security holes out there on smart phones that are no longer supported.

There does seem to be a high number of Win 10 shills here. Ah well.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Woodenhead wrote:Such a personal topic. "Use the OS I use or be ridiculed!!!!!!!" LOOL

neroas wrote:Sad eh?

I do remember when folks were knowledgeable and used to discuss things, but now it's use it or you will die of security risks!

Their eyes must be popping out from the millions of security holes out there on smart phones that are no longer supported.

There does seem to be a high number of Win 10 shills here. Ah well.

Well as I read the thread the main argument against would appear to be from the Enterprise side, yet most of the people here are average everyday home users so that sort of makes the point moot.

I frankly don't give a hoot if a person upgrades to Win 10 or not, and for my part simply point out that some of those home users who opt not to now, will undoubtedly face a high likelihood of having to purchase the operating system later, as opposed to getting it for free now.

Invasion of privacy has been an issue with anything Microsoft for years, so rather than complain, time would be better spent learning ways to avoid such intrusions.

Making light of security risks is a tad childish in my opinion, given that many who have home computers are still barely able to send an email properly, let alone understand the many risks out there and how to avoid them. The point being that for such users a system that automatically updates security risks is a definite plus, and clinging to an operating system that Microsoft no longer supports, deprives them of that benefit.

I hardly think pointing this out qualifies me as a shill, rather an enthusiast who is willing to share some of what I know, with those who don't understand a lot of things.

I'm sure I could successfully use my computer without any antivirus at this point in time, but that doesn't mean that everyone out there is in the same boat, and for a certainty the majority aren't. Security is an issue in those cases, because it's the clueless ones that always put everyone else at risk.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Tannah
Board Meister

Post by Tannah »

TylerM4 do you recall how I said it seemed some people might be on Microsoft's payroll?
You really seem to like to attack people, but you do not back up your statements?

No turning off the telemetry does not shut off the data flow to Microsoft. You really have to tear out components including the windows store to make a good dent, then you have to block the rest though a hardware firewall. All this information is available though google and Microsoft technet.

I observed the windows 10 software upgrading several windows 7 enterprise PC's. I had to a tear down then a reinstall of the machine's. When I talked with the people that manage the domain they were *bleep* this is not suppost to happen. Yet it did.
Last edited by Tannah on Jun 14th, 2016, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I say something that is absurdly stupid or annoying. It's Sarcasm!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Not worth arguing over. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Jun 14th, 2016, 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Not worth arguing over. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Jun 14th, 2016, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

TylerM4 wrote:Lol. What's even weirder is that if you actually pay attention to my posts, it's clear I'm still using Win7.

Lol. The weirdest part is I wasn't even talking to you.

And IIRC, Enterprise editions (Win 7 & Win 8.1) don't even get the Win 10 upgrade option at all. @ Tannah
Your bias suits you.
Tannah
Board Meister

Post by Tannah »

Lol. What's even weirder is that if you actually pay attention to my posts, it's clear I'm still using Win7.

Lol. The weirdest part is I wasn't even talking to you.

And IIRC, Enterprise editions (Win 7 & Win 8.1) don't even get the Win 10 upgrade option at all. @ Tannah[/quote]

They are not suppost to, I will agree to that Woodenhead. But thought some glitch or hitch I saw multiple machines on Windows 7 enterprise do this. Since then I have reinstalled those machines, I have not heard of or seen anymore on Enterprise machines thankfully.
This was several weeks ago when Microsoft was futzing with their upgrade installer. I think it was a glitch with the installer that Microsoft has since fixed. It only takes a hiccup of a few hours to cause all sorts of havoc.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jun 15th, 2016, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
If I say something that is absurdly stupid or annoying. It's Sarcasm!
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

I walked into a small business in Vernon this morning and one of the PC's that they use for invoicing customers had been hacked by Microsoft into installing Win10.

Not a good situation.
Customers standing in line because 10 had slowed it down to a sloth like crawl.

Not a good thing and now they have to bring someone in to fix it up.

Just an observation that 10 is not all that Tyler and the rest of the 10 hacks say it is.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

A reminder to readers - be wary of technical advice you read in a message forum. Especially a message forum dedicated to local news.

I'm not going to waste anymore time here, you don't have to believe a word I say. I'd just like to encourage everyone to use credible sources of information when making these decisions.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

The fact is simple: Every OS upgrade causing problems here and there.
It doesn't matter what OS, when, where, or why.

The reality is that it's become a LOT better from the old days.

This whole "windows 10 ruined my life" bull is just that. Bull.

Upgrade if you feel like learning the new thing. Stay where you're at if you don't.

If MS makes you upgrade, deal with it and learn the new thing. It's not difficult.

Pro-Tip: Don't listen to TylerM4
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Loed wrote: Pro-Tip: Don't listen to TylerM4

:130: Interesting. You and I are basically saying the same thing.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

After starting this topic on May 17th everything turned out OK with the "forced" Windows 10 upgrade. Took about 48 hours for it to work and from my limited computer skills was performing at Windows 7 level.........YAY!

WELL.......3 nights ago my computer would not shut off (I shut It down every night) what I will call normally. The next day it would not START. Screen showed list of options to take to make a diagnosis..........NO F_ _ _ _ _ luck!.........surprise, surprise. Called my personnel "geek" who told me I am number 4 with this problem he has had to correct.

Looks like a few days on my OLD laptop.

Will hopefully get an explanation of corrective measures and will post.........hopefully Monday.

Anybody else have this happen?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

lesliepaul wrote:WELL.......3 nights ago my computer would not shut off (I shut It down every night) what I will call normally.

So naturally you took matters into your own hands and forced it to shut down right?

lesliepaul wrote: The next day it would not START. Screen showed list of options to take to make a diagnosis..........NO F_ _ _ _ _ luck!.........surprise, surprise. Called my personnel "geek" who told me I am number 4 with this problem he has had to correct.

Will hopefully get an explanation of corrective measures and will post.........hopefully Monday.

If I were to take a stab at guessing what transpired, I'd say the computer was in the midst of an update, and that's not a time to be shutting it down, since it can bork the unit, and I might add that's not a Win10 specific thing either. If it won't shut down there's probably good reason.

lesliepaul wrote:Anybody else have this happen?

Never!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”