Any positives about Centre for Arts and Technology?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Home Seeker

Any positives about Centre for Arts and Technology?

Post by Home Seeker »

Hi,

I'm still trying to get some feedback before paying 35 thousand to attend centre for arts and technology CATO to learn how to work in audio studios. I've been told by the school there are lots of available, high paying jobs at audio recording studios in Kelowna and I'd like to become a music producer. I'm reading a lot of comments on line and wondering if maybe the 80% employment rate for grads to work in audio studios they tell me in Kelowna is not correct.

Thanks a lot
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Any positives about Centre for Arts and Technology?

Post by 36Drew »

Douglas College runs a similar program (They have both a one-year certificate and a two-year diploma). I believe their diploma program is about $15k. I'm also quite certain that while there may be a large number of recording studios in Kelowna, the vast majority of them are running out of people's garages as a hobby. There's actual studio work down this way. In addition to the music industry, there's also a ton of post-production work for film & TV.

http://www.douglascollege.ca/programs-courses/faculties/language-literature-performing-arts/music-technology
http://www.douglascollege.ca/programs-courses/catalogue/programs/DPMTCH
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Any positives about Centre for Arts and Technology?

Post by TylerM4 »

Too many people start at the school and trust the school too much.

My recommendation - don't take any schools word for it when they say "there's lots of high paying jobs out there for xxxx".

Make that determination on your own. Look at what's actually out there being hired. Can you find anyone hiring? If so - talk to them. Ask them what qualifications they're looking for if it's not already stated in the posting. Ask whomever is recruiting if they prefer graduates from 1 school vs another, etc. Some may not talk to you, but many would be happy to spend 5 min giving you some information and now you've made a contact you can follow up with later when you've actually got the qualification.

It amazes me that people will spend many thousands of dollars on tuition, and months/years attending programs only to graduate and realize they took the wrong course or there's no jobs, and they have no plan for what they're going to do after they graduate other than "get a good job".

It's totally worth it to spend a few weeks/months doing the research and preparing. In my opinion, the 1st place you should start when considering higher education is the employment opportunities section of the classifieds.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”